U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 16,042 times

Advertisements

If you're figuring on a public school in Southwest Austin with emphasis on both athletics and academics, I would put them in this order: Westlake, Lake Travis, Bowie. 8 of the 9 schools in Eanes ISD (Westlake HS) are academically "exemplary", with one falling just below that mark, and Westlake has a storied past of producing talented athletes.
If you're thinking private school, you can't beat St. Stephens, which is excellent in many ways. You can count on $20k per year at St. Stephens. I actually think Regents is a good value in private schools, about $10k per year and SW Austin location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM

12,788 posts, read 13,083,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
[sarcasm]It sure is nice to see that good ol' Texas racism is still alive and well out there in Lake Travis![/sarcasm]

Lake Travis is always going to score lower because Hispanics are all dumb as a sack beans? That is how your comments come off.

Please spare us your racism and prejudices. The bases of which comes from how Hispanics typically don't have the educational opportunities of your average white boy out in Lake Travis. But we aren't talking about Del Valle here. We are talking about Lake Travis. They have the same educational opportunities as anyone else out there. And they are just as intelligent and capable as any of you racist white rednecks out there. There are plenty of Hispanics at Westlake and Lake Travis who do great given the awesome opportunities both schools have to offer. Because they are both great schools.
BevoLJ - Although you are responding to someone else's post - you are just flagrantly playing the race card when it is not deserved. Demographics, like it or not, tell the vast majority of the story when analyzing school performance. Nowhere did we say that a Hispanic can't achieve the same as a white person. The data shows that for a variety of reasons, some of which you call out, they don't perform as well. Any school with a high non-Asian minority population will likely show less academic achievement. Same with whites of lower socioeconomic status.

Last year's valedictorian at Lake Travis is Hispanic, is currently at Rice, and was even a state level competitive swimmer.

Westlake, Westwood, Vandegrift, and Lake Travis all draw their students from upper-middle class families. Westlake has the most white, and wealthiest student body. If you exchanged Westlake's teachers with those at Johnston high, Westlake would return after a one semester adjustment to its normal achievement levels. Except for the significant Asian population at Westwood, most of these schools are predominantly white. But there are differences and Lake Travis is less homogeneous than Westlake.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,481,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKubicek View Post
If you're figuring on a public school in Southwest Austin with emphasis on both athletics and academics, I would put them in this order: Westlake, Lake Travis, Bowie. 8 of the 9 schools in Eanes ISD (Westlake HS) are academically "exemplary", with one falling just below that mark, and Westlake has a storied past of producing talented athletes.
If you're thinking private school, you can't beat St. Stephens, which is excellent in many ways. You can count on $20k per year at St. Stephens. I actually think Regents is a good value in private schools, about $10k per year and SW Austin location.
For private high schools, I would rank St. Stephens/St. Andrews, then St. Michaels, then Regents.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 AM

276 posts, read 203,777 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but the best public high school, in the country really, is TAMS. It's not in Austin but it is public and open to students from Austin, being in Texas. It doesn't have much of a sports program, though, and the environment and moving to Denton may not be for everyone. If you don't believe me, then just ask someone who works in Caltech or MIT's admissions.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM

4,986 posts, read 9,812,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but the best public high school, in the country really, is TAMS. It's not in Austin but it is public and open to students from Austin, being in Texas. It doesn't have much of a sports program, though, and the environment and moving to Denton may not be for everyone. If you don't believe me, then just ask someone who works in Caltech or MIT's admissions.
So, you are saying it's the "best" high school for kids wanting to attend CalTech or MIT, who don't want to play sports at a competitive high school level, and whose parents don't mind them attending a high school 5 hours away.

Again, "best" is a context which might be different family to family, child to child. No school can claim the "best" mantle unless the specific criteria are agreed upon by all those judging.

Steve

Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM

276 posts, read 203,777 times
That's correct but the discussion seemed to be migrating away from the sports. Even so, the OP may like to know the option exists as the sports may not be that important if academics are substantially better. Also, Denton is just under 4 hours away, not 5.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM

4,986 posts, read 9,812,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
...Also, Denton is just under 4 hours away, not 5.
Well, that changes everything! Just messing with you. Welcome to the forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 PM

4,664 posts, read 6,873,268 times
Here's the link for those who are curious!
TAMS

It is a two year program and they only take 200 students a year, so it is hardly an option for many. It seems like LASA on steroids. NINE Intel Science semi-finalists, damn!

And funding is dependent on the state legislature, so that would make me a bit nervous.

If you don't want to send your kid to Denton, check out Westwood High or LASA.
Austin Independent School District : Schools

Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

2,224 posts, read 5,765,261 times
A friend graduated from TAMS. He got his high school and undergrad diplomas at the same ceremony. He played rugby at UNT, got drunk a lot, typical college stuff. He got a $100K research grant for a masters degree in mathematics at MIT, switched to biology, and then went to med school.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM

14 posts, read 18,622 times
I taught at Westwood High School for several years and, while I can't make a comparison with the other schools mentioned, I will say that it is a phenomenal high school. The students are extremely motivated (and competitive, which could be a potential drawback), the teachers are of very high quality, and there are lots of great programs offered, including the International Baccalaureate option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin