Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoHSNYC View Post

The Austin response to this? Dig your head deeper in the sand and hope the people moving in from the East Coast and other decent parts of the country lower your crime rate.

Austin decreases crime rates across the board | The Daily Texan
Nope. We just hope.those "decent" people move back. Thanks for contributing!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 AM

249 posts, read 492,149 times
Quote:
I was born in Queens. I last lived in Manhattan. I grew up from age 10 in the burbs of NYC. I will likely go back to the burbs of NYC, not NYC proper.
Enjoy the taxes, crowding, overpriced everything, and taxes.

There's a reason I fled Mamaroneck, Bay Ridge, and Staten Island..

Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Yup Austin has low crime. New stats.

"Austin had the seventh highest property crime rate out of the 33 cities ranked, with 5,235 incidents of property crime per 100,000 people. In Texas, only San Antonio has a higher property crime rate, with 5,967 incidents per 100,000 people."

Note: the Rape rate ain't that low. It is roughly at the national average, itself high. Moreover, there is not a single zip in all of austin, including its purported suburbs, that has authentically low rape rates. The best is about 40% of the national average only in two zips which are austin burbs. You can find 1/4, 1/10, and even 1/20 the national average in civilized cities/burbs

The Austin response to this? Dig your head deeper in the sand and hope the people moving in from the East Coast and other decent parts of the country lower your crime rate.

Rape rates in college town are always high, odd, but the data bears this out. Ann Arbor, MI runs a little over 2X the rate that Austin does. Heck, even Blacksburg, VA (one of your "civilized" yankee cities) is over 150% the rate of Austin. Columbus, OH? 2X the rate of Austin... This list goes on and on...

Your beloved NYC? Murder rate almost twice was Austin's is.. Robbery? Over double Austin. Again, list goes on.

The big difference? Petty Larceny, Austin's rate is WAY higher than NYC.

Here, knock yourself out:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...tables/table-6

As for "sticking your head in the sand" Did you even read the quote from the police chief in that article? He's not satisfied with where the crime rate is, so how is that "hoping people move in from civilized, blah, blah, blah?" Law Enforcement agencies have been working on the crime in Austin - which is why the were pointing out that it was on the way down.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Yup Austin has low crime. New stats.

"Austin had the seventh highest property crime rate out of the 33 cities ranked, with 5,235 incidents of property crime per 100,000 people. In Texas, only San Antonio has a higher property crime rate, with 5,967 incidents per 100,000 people."

Note: the Rape rate ain't that low. It is roughly at the national average, itself high. Moreover, there is not a single zip in all of austin, including its purported suburbs, that has authentically low rape rates. The best is about 40% of the national average only in two zips which are austin burbs. You can find 1/4, 1/10, and even 1/20 the national average in civilized cities/burbs

Isn't it interesting how you failed to quote this part of the article.

Quote:
Austin now has the third lowest violent crime rate of all U.S. cities with more than 500,000 people, according to 2011 FBI crime statistics released Tuesday by the Austin Police Department. According to the statistics, 430 violent crime incidents per 100,000 people occurred in Austin in 2011. This puts Austin behind San Diego and San Jose for the least violent crime per capita.
Violent crime is defined by the report as murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.
Here is another one:

Quote:
Austin
Austin has the third-lowest rate of violent crime among major U.S. cities

Austin has moved up in the rankings since 2010, when it had the fifth-lowest rate of violent crime, Acevedo said.
“I think this is something we can be very proud of, despite the Austin Police Department being a very lean department,” Acevedo said, noting the city’s explosive population growth in recent years. The FBI’s data put Austin’s population at about 807,000 people in 2011.
Yes, Austin has high property crime rates, but when you look into the statistics it is almost all petty theft and theft from automobiles.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Yup
That is absolute bull crap, where are you getting your data? I suspect you are making it up. In 2010, the last year for which I have been able to find crime rates listed by zip code, there were 16 zip codes in Austin with zero rapes and 11 with 2 or less.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit to add: In my book this makes you a liar.

Halleluiah, The City of Austin has started posting their crime rates by zip code again. Here they are http://www.austintexas.gov/page/crim...isted-zip-code

The last year reported, 2011, has 18 zip codes with NO (ZERO) rapes and 9 with 2 or less.

Other good news comparing 2010 and 2011:

Rape decreased from 261 to 225
Thefts decreased from 34534 to 33442
Burglaries decreased from 8640 to 7018
robbery decreased from 1268 to 1144
Murder decreased from 39 to 2
Agg Assault decreased from 1961 to 1922
Motor V-Theft decreased from 2406 to 2256

The only area that increased was Arson going from 111 to 116

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-09-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
I see a lot of bickering and all here, yet not that much concern over crime in Austin..It seems to me that what ever the relative rate, less d be good right..? Wouldnt THAT be the real topic in hand..?

Personally I find the hostility displayed here to the topic being discussed quite disturbing. If urbane Austinites wont talk about it, what about the rest of the state..?

Texas has a lot of violent crime right..?

Let me say that I live in one of the LOWEST violent crime areas of one of the lowest violent crime countries in the world.. ( Japan, not my country, so its not a boast, simply fact..)

Despite the fact I KNOW Texas has a high crime rate, I am seriously considering moving there to live..

Nevertheless, being concerned, I search and find this kind of BS going on. As a foriegner, what reception would I recieve if concerned about crime..? ( Go back to your country, we dont want you here..? )

Bluntly, such a thing as moving around the world to where I might not be safe, is ( among a mass of other concerns ) worrysome enough.

Reading you guys getting all insulted and hostile just makes me wonder if I could " stand the ( social ) weather" as Stevie Ray Vaughns song goes.. Not helpful rings a bell.

I still feel I have not understood what the real situation with violent crime is in Texas, despite searching about it for hours..
Getting the impression that no one really thinks theres a problem there is extra concerning, I am considering a long term commitment to live there. ..

I see rate s like 20 murders per 100,000 in Dallas and wonder what that is all about.

( there are over a million people in this tiny Japanese state, and I doubt there were 2 murders here last year..Thatd be a rate OVER 100 times lower than Dallas..! )

If you seriously think such rates are "ok" i think you ought to think about it again.

IF you believe in a bright future for your state or city, you might be a little more willing to " play the ball" about it, no the man..? not harass the critics..?
.....And making strangers unwelcome might not be a good idea either....

Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDontTakeKindlyTaStranga View Post
I see a lot of bickering and all here, yet not that much concern over crime in Austin..It seems to me that what ever the relative rate, less d be good right..? Wouldnt THAT be the real topic in hand..?

Personally I find the hostility displayed here to the topic being discussed quite disturbing. If urbane Austinites wont talk about it, what about the rest of the state..?

Texas has a lot of violent crime right..?

Let me say that I live in one of the LOWEST violent crime areas of one of the lowest violent crime countries in the world.. ( Japan, not my country, so its not a boast, simply fact..)

Despite the fact I KNOW Texas has a high crime rate, I am seriously considering moving there to live..

Nevertheless, being concerned, I search and find this kind of BS going on. As a foriegner, what reception would I recieve if concerned about crime..? ( Go back to your country, we dont want you here..? )

Bluntly, such a thing as moving around the world to where I might not be safe, is ( among a mass of other concerns ) worrysome enough.

Reading you guys getting all insulted and hostile just makes me wonder if I could " stand the ( social ) weather" as Stevie Ray Vaughns song goes.. Not helpful rings a bell.

I still feel I have not understood what the real situation with violent crime is in Texas, despite searching about it for hours..
Getting the impression that no one really thinks theres a problem there is extra concerning, I am considering a long term commitment to live there. ..

I see rate s like 20 murders per 100,000 in Dallas and wonder what that is all about.

( there are over a million people in this tiny Japanese state, and I doubt there were 2 murders here last year..Thatd be a rate OVER 100 times lower than Dallas..! )

If you seriously think such rates are "ok" i think you ought to think about it again.

IF you believe in a bright future for your state or city, you might be a little more willing to " play the ball" about it, no the man..? not harass the critics..?
.....And making strangers unwelcome might not be a good idea either....
Hmmm...respectfully, there is a reason this thread died almost two years ago.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
Crime is really high in that area around the Arbor trails and it's been getting worse. Car break-ins especially. They found a murder victim sitting in a parked car just the other day - right in the middle of the Travis Country neighborhood.
Do you have stats to show it has been getting worse?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Do you have stats to show it has been getting worse?
Ginger's posts were from two years ago.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Funny how most of the time a "dead horse" thread is resurrected, it's because of the first post of an imbecile.

Would be good if the mods could program it so that Newbies can start new threads, respond to recent threads, but not resurrect and fan flames of 2 year old threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin