U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM

2,237 posts, read 7,872,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I live in North Austin currently and am planning to move to SW Austin. Is it isolated? Where do you shop? Do you prefer it to North Austin? Anyone?
If by "isolated" you mean 10 minutes from downtown, 5-7 minutes from Zilker Park then, yes, it is isolated.

As mentioned above, there is a lack of non-chain restaurants, but heck you are minutes from downtown, south congress, Tex Mex Mile on S 1st, south Lamar, etc. There are hundreds of dining options within 10-15 minutes that aren't Chili's and other similar crapfests.

There's plenty of shopping at Barton Creek Mall, Brodie/290/71 area, etc. if that's your thing. Every major retail store is represented.

It is far superior to South Dallas up there north of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM

701 posts, read 2,194,235 times
BTW: not all non-chains are great. There's a Mexican (Tex Mex?) place off Slaughter and Escarpment and that was meh at best. I was kinda taken aback by the ground beef in the enchiladas. I expect that sort of thing from fast food.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 PM

5,988 posts, read 14,938,261 times
Quote:
I see 290/71 being a mess in the future. Also, I don't much like the way the developments are being built willy-nilly. They pretty much clear-cut to get Aviara in place.
I agree. 290/71 is going to be something we all suffer with in coming years.

On Avaira, I drove up there today for the first time, all the way to the top by the water tank, and through the upper portion. You're right, they scalped it. What a shame. I didn't get a good vibe but I'm sure they'll be able to sell those homes to local tech workers next year, especially after AMD moves in.

Steve

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 AM

7,159 posts, read 15,896,493 times
Have you lived in N Austin for awhile? If so, it is somewhat different south of the river (southwest, or west). I lived in NW Austin for about 10 years before recently moving to SW (or W?)... Anyway, here is my take:

1 - Depending on how far out west or SW you are moving, there isn't really any shopping there. Most likely, you'll be going to S Austin for many things if you are closer in (going to 290/Mopac/Brodie area). The plus side is that most of the shopping around Brodie is in Sunset Valley, with a lower sales tax rate!

2 - Closer in: You will be closer to downtown, Zilker Park, etc. So if you like doing a lot of things downtown, you'll find that easier. People have mentioned the "shifted" center of the city is north of downtown... I believe that is true. So if you live NW, you are probably about the same distance to the shifted center (maybe 35th or 45th st) as SW is to actual downtown.

3 - HWY 71 to the airport is perhaps the ONLY freeway Austin has gotten right. If you live SW, you'll likely be within easy access to 71, so driving to the airport is a BREEZE. Feels like the quick, wide highways you would find in DFW. No other Austin drive will be like that, except for maybe the toll roads.

4- For getting anywhere East, Bee Caves (2244) is much worse than 2222. Plus, 2222 turns into 290 which takes you further east, 2244 ends at mopac on the west side of downtown.

5 - There is a giant strange intersection of Mopac/360/71/SW Parkway/290 that makes no sense to me. It took me a month or two to understand what the proper routes through this area were...

6 - Getting anywhere due east or NE of Austin is nearly out of the question. If you have friends living in Pflugerville, it's about the same as if you'd moved to Dallas

7 - Since you'll be spending some time in S Austin for shopping/other things, you'll realize that it is a bit rougher around the edges than N Austin. It's more like Austin overall was 10-15 years ago; not likely to land a Fry's, Ikea, Domain, etc... but will get the big box stuff any big city does.

8 - The hills in NW Austin are bigger with better views, but much of the hillly area in W/SW Austin is more recently developed (during the "boom"), so it looks fancier (lots of mediterranean style Mc Mansions)... and the views are very good, also.

So far, I love it here. I'd like to be closer to Fry's and Mushashino (my favorite restaurant), but it seems like a small price to pay. The vibe here is very good.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM

12,136 posts, read 27,806,348 times
People may not be thinking the same thing when they hear NW Austin and SW Austin. Those terms cover a lot of ground.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 5,494,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Have you lived in N Austin for awhile? If so, it is somewhat different south of the river (southwest, or west). I lived in NW Austin for about 10 years before recently moving to SW (or W?)... Anyway, here is my take:

1 - Depending on how far out west or SW you are moving, there isn't really any shopping there. Most likely, you'll be going to S Austin for many things if you are closer in (going to 290/Mopac/Brodie area). The plus side is that most of the shopping around Brodie is in Sunset Valley, with a lower sales tax rate!

2 - Closer in: You will be closer to downtown, Zilker Park, etc. So if you like doing a lot of things downtown, you'll find that easier. People have mentioned the "shifted" center of the city is north of downtown... I believe that is true. So if you live NW, you are probably about the same distance to the shifted center (maybe 35th or 45th st) as SW is to actual downtown.

3 - HWY 71 to the airport is perhaps the ONLY freeway Austin has gotten right. If you live SW, you'll likely be within easy access to 71, so driving to the airport is a BREEZE. Feels like the quick, wide highways you would find in DFW. No other Austin drive will be like that, except for maybe the toll roads.

4- For getting anywhere East, Bee Caves (2244) is much worse than 2222. Plus, 2222 turns into 290 which takes you further east, 2244 ends at mopac on the west side of downtown.

5 - There is a giant strange intersection of Mopac/360/71/SW Parkway/290 that makes no sense to me. It took me a month or two to understand what the proper routes through this area were...

6 - Getting anywhere due east or NE of Austin is nearly out of the question. If you have friends living in Pflugerville, it's about the same as if you'd moved to Dallas

7 - Since you'll be spending some time in S Austin for shopping/other things, you'll realize that it is a bit rougher around the edges than N Austin. It's more like Austin overall was 10-15 years ago; not likely to land a Fry's, Ikea, Domain, etc... but will get the big box stuff any big city does.

8 - The hills in NW Austin are bigger with better views, but much of the hillly area in W/SW Austin is more recently developed (during the "boom"), so it looks fancier (lots of mediterranean style Mc Mansions)... and the views are very good, also.

So far, I love it here. I'd like to be closer to Fry's and Mushashino (my favorite restaurant), but it seems like a small price to pay. The vibe here is very good.

Yeah, but you are in NW Austin. I said North Austin in my post. North Austin is not so great compared to NW Austin so your post really doesn't do anything for me. Also, the Domain isn't all that great anyway, overpriced and boring. I'd rather be near Barton Creek.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM

12,136 posts, read 27,806,348 times
Quote:
They pretty much clear-cut to get Aviara in place. If you go to Jim's Restaurant (I think that'll do it) and look up on the hillside where Aviara will be, it's depressing. They didn't bother to save trees or anything.
Clear cutting is a pet peeve of mine, it saves the builder a few bucks but takes decades to replace the trees that should have been left in the first place. At least in the Austin city limits, it is theoretically partially controlled:

Quote:
Major provisions of Austin's Tree and Natural Preservation Ordinance include:
• A "protected tree" is defined as one having a circu****ence of at least 60 inches (a diameter of 19 inches), measured 4½ feet above natural grade.
• "Removal" comprises actions including uprooting, severing the main trunk, damaging the root system, and/or excessive pruning.
• An application for a site plan approval must include a tree protection plan, retaining trees 8 inches or greater in diameter "to the extent feasible." (For trees that are removed, the city may require mitigation including replacement tree planting.)
• Proposals to remove protected trees require review by the city arborist, who then must make recommendations on the proposal before it can be submitted for approval.
• A protected tree may not be removed unless the Watershed Protection and Develop¬ment Review Department has issued a permit; exceptions are made for damaged trees posing a hazard to life or property, a protected tree identified for removal on an approved preliminary site plan, or trees identified for removal in capital improvement projects approved by the City Council.
From reading between the lines in another article, it appears that the inability to enforce the rules is the problem. Of course, out side the city limits there are not requirements that I am aware of. Part of the reason I like the SW Austin area is the abundance of trees....

Related to trees and north Austin (sort of), a story about the ordinace being used to try and slow Wal-mart at northcross: The Austin Chronicle: News: Trees Protecting the Neighbors?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:20 AM

7,159 posts, read 15,896,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Yeah, but you are in NW Austin. I said North Austin in my post. North Austin is not so great compared to NW Austin so your post really doesn't do anything for me. Also, the Domain isn't all that great anyway, overpriced and boring. I'd rather be near Barton Creek.
Sorry, just assumed N/NW Austin are basically the same regarding shopping, etc. Only scenery is better in NW Austin.

Although, if you'd rather be near Barton Creek.. guess SW Austin is perfect for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or