Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times

Advertisements

This is a great country when our biggest, most emotional issues are the speed someone is driving......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 71,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
This is a great country when our biggest, most emotional issues are the speed someone is driving......
Well, it is also a distraction from more serious things. Freak out about something that can be easily fixed than a real problem that will take time, energy, and cooperation.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 59,123 times
I love this post. We visited Dallas and Austin this summer (as well as Phoenix) to consider moving there. Ruled out all three. Austin's traffic was indeed horrid. But I felt the same way about Dallas. We were actually checking out the Allen area and I don't know if I could ever drive on the freeways there because it basically runs right into Dallas.

I am curious about San Antonio. You seem to like it a lot better. I've been there once a few years ago but my memories are a bit rusty. How would you compare traffic? I'm not a super fast driver - I go the speed limit. And do you feel it's more humid or similar to Austin?

Having a hard time finding a spot our family likes enough to move to. Right now we live in a place that has beautiful summers but frigid winters where sometimes the high is freezing. I just curl up and hibernate! We all agree we like a little greenery and a little humidity is fine but nothing like DC, Florida, or Nashville. Don't want any more snow or ice if we can help it.

The biggies? Traffic. Weather. And high tech jobs.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 AM

709 posts, read 1,396,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madetomom View Post
I can't think of anywhere with an abundance of high tech jobs with out traffic or bad weather. If traffic wasn't a deal breaker I could think of many places in warmer weather or if weather wasn't an issue I can think of places with much better traffic and transit like Salt Lake City. But for all three I can't think of anywhere that would fit what you are looking for.

As for San Antonio it does have some tech jobs, but not as near many as the other Texas cities, and certainly not as many as Austin. Traffic wise it depends. There are good and bad parts of Austin and San Antonio is much the same. Overall no where in San Antonio is close to as bad as I-35 in Austin so I'd give the edge to San Antonio for better traffic. That being said in the past 8 years since I moved back to Austin, I have used I-35 in Austin no more than a dozen times.

If traffic wasn't an issue other option would be SoCal with San Diego and LA areas having great weather and lots of tech jobs. But like most all cities they also have lots of traffic. The 405 in LA being probably the only road in the US I hate more than I-35 in Austin and absolutely refuse to get on. lol

Last edited by BevoLJ; 09-13-2012 at 03:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,018,700 times
Quote:
I love this post. We visited Dallas and Austin this summer (as well as Phoenix) to consider moving there. Ruled out all three. Austin's traffic was indeed horrid. But I felt the same way about Dallas. We were actually checking out the Allen area and I don't know if I could ever drive on the freeways there because it basically runs right into Dallas.

I am curious about San Antonio. You seem to like it a lot better. I've been there once a few years ago but my memories are a bit rusty. How would you compare traffic? I'm not a super fast driver - I go the speed limit. And do you feel it's more humid or similar to Austin?

Having a hard time finding a spot our family likes enough to move to. Right now we live in a place that has beautiful summers but frigid winters where sometimes the high is freezing. I just curl up and hibernate! We all agree we like a little greenery and a little humidity is fine but nothing like DC, Florida, or Nashville. Don't want any more snow or ice if we can help it.

If you didn't like Dallas, Austin or Phoenix...you certainly won't like San Antonio.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,603,948 times
If you liked Austin...you certainly won't like San Antonio!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,071,133 times
Quote:

Perhaps you need to be looking at California. If you stay somewhat coastal (not the central valley,) the weather is better than anywhere else. There are high tech jobs from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay Area. You just need to find one in a place that doesn't have bad traffic. I know such places do exist, you will just have to look hard.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,086,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
I miss chocolate PB ice cream! Why does no one have it here? Not chocolate ice cream with reeses cups in it. Think of PB ice cream. The vanilla with swirls of PB in it. PA. has chocolate ice cream with PB swirls in it. Man I miss that. They don't have Teaberry ice cream down here either! I need to look at other grocery stores, I'm certain.

I'm not a big ice cream person, but I DO love Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream. And suprisingly, Baskin Robbins is the place where I discovered it, and now it's the standard to which I compare all PB and chocolate ice cream. No other place has compared...not even Amy's, Maggie Moo's or any of the other trendy ice cream places. It's chocolate ice cream with big chunks of peanut butter - NOT bits of Reese's peanut butter cups (yuck...it just isn't the same), but actual peanut butter.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,033,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Sorry, but Austin is a foodie destination only in the minds of Austinites. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Sure, there are a couple of good offerings and hopefully more to come, but most establishments in Austin - even those that are supposedly "superb" - just don't measure up to those of us from cities that actually are "foodie destinations". The phrase "one man's ceiling is another man's floor" comes to mind.

I'll point out that Olive Garden and Panera bread made their way onto last year's Chronicle "best of list"...btw

And to differ with another poster....there is NO good Italian in Austin.

My 2 cents.
This is simply NOT true. Over labor day weekend, we stood in line at Franklins and met and group of young men that were visiting from CAs for the first time. We asked, "What brings you to Austin?" Their answer, "We came here to eat. We are here for two days and so far we've been to The Saltlick, Eastside King, here, we are going to hit Mozart's after lunch, and plan to hit Torchy's for dinner."

Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
This is simply NOT true. Over labor day weekend, we stood in line at Franklins and met and group of young men that were visiting from CAs for the first time. We asked, "What brings you to Austin?" Their answer, "We came here to eat. We are here for two days and so far we've been to The Saltlick, Eastside King, here, we are going to hit Mozart's after lunch, and plan to hit Torchy's for dinner."
Agreed, and I can match stories with you several times over. Austin shows up on several different "Foodie Destination" lists, and I've not only met people who have traveled to Austin specifically to eat, but several of them are friends of mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin