U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,140,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleavelle View Post
I've not been to Jim's. I was at Luby's but they didn't have much to chose from the day I went...maybe that can change at times? I'll check out the Frisco Shop, sounds interesting. I've not been to any bakery's, I'll have to start going to them I guess. I miss chocolate PB ice cream! Why does no one have it here? Not chocolate ice cream with reeses cups in it. Think of PB ice cream. The vanilla with swirls of PB in it. PA. has chocolate ice cream with PB swirls in it. Man I miss that. They don't have Teaberry ice cream down here either! I need to look at other grocery stores, I'm certain.

I do miss certain regional brands of chips, that's for sure. I was thrilled to find Tasty Cakes in Randalls though! I've not been to central market yet, I want to though. I miss going to movie premiers.

As for the "concrete jungle" that's what I was hoping for! I wish it was far more like that here.

Driving-I've seen some fast drivers here but not many. I often find myself stuck in the fast lane behind four or five people that I have to pass in the right lane! That's pretty unheard of in PA. The left lane is for faster driving. The furhter left you go, the faster you're expected to drive.
My husband is from central PA but it sounds like you are from closer to Philly. They do have Utz and Snyder here too (although he prefers tortilla chips and all things Austin )

I grew up in Dallas and was taught the same thing about driving in the left lane but Austin doesn't seem to adhere to the same philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,654,309 times
aleavelle - Where did you move from? I'm from Philly, been in Texas for nearly 20 years, and still miss my beloved hometown terribly.

Let me just confirm a few things - you will not find good pizza here. Stop trying.

I agree with the bread. Central Market and While Foods have a good selection for grocery stores, but they are not the full-on bakeries they have in abundance in Philly, where you can literally get 200 different breads in one location. And it was all baked fresh that morning, from scratch - not from some frozen dough.

Driving slow in the left lane is one of my single biggest frustrations. Get over, people! I live off of 620, where the speed limit is 65 mph. Not a day goes by that I am not stuck behind someone going 45 in the left lane. I wish that were an exaggeration, but it's literally every day. And 45 mph.

I totally understand the regional chip thing. Unless you grew up with them, it's hard to explain. So I think a lot of folks here don't "get it."

You can find Tastykakes at some Randall's and Wal-Marts. In fact, I have a box of Kandy Kakes sitting on my counter right now.

Public transportation does suck, but I think the bigger problem is that Austin is not walkable unless you live downtown. Trains are useless unless you can actually walk somewhere after you get off of them. Austin is not considered a "large city" population-wise, but it dwarfs most of them in area. For example, Philadelphia encompasses 135 square miles. Austin encompasses 296 - more than twice the land area of Philadelphia. But even the areas outside of Philadelphia have distinct business areas and "downtowns." So trains going to those areas makes sense. Here we have lots and lots of strip malls and parking lots but very few sidewalks. So taking a train to Davenport Village or Sunset Valley is just silly because you would still need to dodge your way across 5 lanes of traffic and then trek through acres of parking lots just to get to the store. I think a lot of this is attributed to the fact that Austin is a fairly new city. A lot of it was developed after the advent of cars. The outlying areas or 'burbs of Philly were built 200-300 years ago, so even those had to be more dense.

I also really, really miss Yuengling and Birch Beer. I can find Birch Beer at Specs, but it is always a brand I never heard of and usually disappoints. I really miss being able to run in to Wawa and grab a Diet Pennsylvania Dutch. Or going to the local restaurant and getting one on draft.

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:31 PM

2,930 posts, read 1,301,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
9) The local arena doesn't often get in big name acts/performances. Austin is FULL of "live music" but they are unknown artists and cover bands. Normally, if you want to see a big name act, you're going to have to go to Dallas. San Antonio doesn't get many either! I find that fascinating and frustrating. I thought that surely Austin would get a TON of big name country stars come to town, but so far, none at all, and none of the horizon. Actually we get tons of 'big name' shows but they just aren't country. Country music isn't really a thing here (unless it is very old school country).
If country "isn't really a thing here", then why is the #3 Austin radio station country?

In the past eighteen months, I've seen George Strait, Willie Nelson, Reba McIntyre and Martina McBride here. The issue in Austin is an absence of a 25,000 seat outdoor amphitheater. Most big country acts tour in the summer, and almost every date is in one of these settings, because they generate the most ticket revenue. Frank Erwin Center can't compete. That absence is also the reason the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary tour didn't come here, and why Jimmy Buffett doesn't play here - unless he just bites the bullet and play at ACL Live for 1/10 of his normal sized show, as he did last month. Don't count on that ever happening again.

Supposedly, Circuit of the Americas is planning an amphitheater. If that happens, you can count on Austin attracting a bunch of shows - country and otherwise - that don't play here now.

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:42 PM

10,176 posts, read 7,032,939 times
Quote:
If you don't like BBQ and Mexican food you're going to starve.
Honestly, when I read something like this, I just scratch my head and wonder, is this person actually even IN Austin?

Austin is a foodie destination, home to more celebrated restaurants than cities many times its size. Whatever flavor you want, you can find it in Austin. Oh, yeah, that's right, there's actually no Afghan restaurant, but other than that...

Besides the Chinese, Japanese, Viet Namese, Thai restaurants and Award Winning Sushi restaurants like Uchi, Uchiko, and Musashino (in Far West, not far from Brooklyn Pie Company), there are Italian, Ethiopean, Indian, Persian, Creole, and other ethnic specialties.

And as far as "traditional" American food goes, heck, what about all the chain family restaurants like Luby's, and Denny's, and Golden Corral and Cheddars and IHOP and Cheesecake Factory and Logan's and Denny's, and yes, even a Cracker Barrel (in Round Rock)? To tell the truth, there seems to be one at almost every major exit off the main highways. Why, there's even a Luby's due east of Brooklyn Pie Company at MoPac. How can you miss seeing them?

And then stepping up the game a little, there's a whole host of local restaurants that offer "American" food, like Zax and Hoovers and Bartletts and Jim's and Kerbey Lane and oh so many more.

You could literally eat at a different non-BBQ, non-Tex-Mex restaurant every week for the next several years in Austin without ever repeating yourself. I suggest you check out restaurant review sites to see what you've been missing.

Quote:
No potato rolls, one brand of Italian bread (store bought, sliced bread I mean), very few brands of store bought ice creme, very limited brands of store bought pastas, very limited brands of potato chips.
Honestly, when I read something like this, I just scratch my head and wonder, is this person actually even IN Austin?

You just need to look a little harder, honestly.

I mean, no hard feelings pard', I know it's kind of a time honored tradition to hack on a new home city for all the things you miss from back in good ol' ____________ (fill in the blank), but if you're open to exploring a little, I'll bet that a year from now you'll be embarrassed by what you wrote here.

OK, you want some pasta variety? Let's take a little 5 mile shopping trip: Start at Mandola's Market, at The Triangle, Lamar & Guadaloupe. Then go to Central Market, 4001 Lamar; then to nearby Pasta & Co., 3502 Kerbey Ln. Next to Whole Foods, 6th and Lamar; and finally down to Vespaio Deli, 1610 S Congress. I'll bet you never KNEW there were so many different kinds of pasta.

So welcome to Austin, but you know, you need to get out more!

Last edited by OpenD; 07-08-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM

8,578 posts, read 14,737,738 times
There are some bakeries in a few places around Austin. Next trip you make to San Antonio swing through new braunfels and go to naeglin's bakery. Another American food place not in Austin, but outside of it, is The Texan Cafe in Hutto. Oops! Also forgot Monument Cafe in Georgetown and 620 Cafe in Round Rock.

Unread 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM

969 posts, read 728,409 times
OpenD......exactly.......this makes me wonder if it's one of those "BSer" posts? Hmm? Somethin' doesn't smell right.

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 13,111 times
There is tons of great food in Austin, in fact it's the one thing I'll really miss when I move from here. Titaya's has the best Thai food ever, HO HO for Chinese, burgers options are abundant, P Terry's, Central Market Cafe, Five Guys in round rock, Hopdoddy's, and we are getting In and Out in round rock. You must go to Central Market, great groceries and the Cafe has great food, if you haven't been to round rock donuts yet, it's a must! Oh and you have to try Torchy's Taco's!!!!

BTW, I've lived all over, TX, Chicago, Vegas, Rochester area, Hawaii, England, Mississippi, Missouri, and Florida. Lot's of food experience!!!

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 1,301,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I agree with the bread. Central Market and While Foods have a good selection for grocery stores, but they are not the full-on bakeries they have in abundance in Philly, where you can literally get 200 different breads in one location. And it was all baked fresh that morning, from scratch - not from some frozen dough.
See that flag going up the pole? The red one with the letters "BS" on it?

First, I'd like to see the list of the 130 breads they DON'T have at Central Market, since they have seventy. They even have the seeded muffelatta loaf, for Pete's sake. Second, everything in their bakery is hand made, in the store. So save the damning with faint praise "for grocery stores". I've eaten enough baguettes from Poilâne to know that CM's is almost indistinguishable. I had that very conversation with the French food expert David Lebovitz. If you've got a better standard, have at it.

Unread 07-08-2012, 11:42 PM

709 posts, read 513,099 times
Quote:
9) The local arena doesn't often get in big name acts/performances. Austin is FULL of "live music" but they are unknown artists and cover bands. Normally, if you want to see a big name act, you're going to have to go to Dallas. San Antonio doesn't get many either! I find that fascinating and frustrating. I thought that surely Austin would get a TON of big name country stars come to town, but so far, none at all, and none of the horizon.
This can be a bit tricky in Austin. There is some truth to what you are say, if only specifically talking about Nashville Country. Austin can't hold a candle to places like Fort Worth in Nashville Country music stars. But for real country Austin has just as much to see as anywhere else. The hard thing about it like you are saying is that much of that gets lost in all the noise in Austin. There is a TON of noise in Austin when it comes to music. Outside of country Austin brings in just as many big names as anywhere else except LA. The difference being that in Austin much of those big shows are in smaller more intimate venues. Look at the Moody Theater and who all have already graced its stage over the past year and a half since it has opened. It is remarkable who all has played there given how small a venue it is.

Unread 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM

2,352 posts, read 3,409,640 times
I'd tend to disagree on #9, but that's probably just because of my music tastes. I'm not joking when I say 9 of my top 10 favorite bands have come through town at least once in the past year. The Shins, Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, The Black Keys, etc. aren't small names at all. Overall though, very balanced observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin