U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 41,005 times
Default Renting to get into a school district

We live in a home that we like, but our school district is not that good. The school district next to ours is good and we want to send our kids there without having to move. If we rent a really small apartment in the good school district and use that address to get into the local school, while we continue to live in our home, is that legal?

The way I look at it, we are paying a rent and the owner is paying a property tax from the rent, and so, we are indirectly paying the tax that pays for the school. So, it is definitely not a freebie, but is it legal? Any advise is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 12:11 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,158,142 times
Lots of people do it- I don't know if it's technically legal (would it have to be your 'primary' residence?). How would your kids feel? If you live in East Austin and rent an apartment in Westlake, there might be some differences your kids would have to deal with. For some, that's no big deal. I think it's like paying tuition for private school. Have you considered private school instead? It might be cheaper and better, depending on the schools involved. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 PM

40 posts, read 139,108 times
get on the website of the school district you would like your children to attend. many list their requirements for "residency", some tell you what is required in order to enroll a child in that district (ie when registering your child, you will need to provide a signed lease, or a utility bill), some even have "open enrollment" where they except children from out of their district. many districts allow you to enroll your children in their district if you work for the school district.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM

73,363 posts, read 33,555,639 times
Or better yet, call the school district offices and ask them directly. You'll know right away whether or not what you want to do is legal.

We just had 15 kids kicked out of our district's HS this week for false address information..they were not living where they said they were.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 41,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We just had 15 kids kicked out of our district's HS this week for false address information..they were not living where they said they were.
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I rented an apartment, my name would be on the lease and I would not be giving "false address information". It's just that I will not be living in that apartment on a full time basis. I think it's like having two homes and both addresses being legitimate. But, I will take your suggestion and call the school district.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,251,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt29 View Post
We live in a home that we like, but our school district is not that good. The school district next to ours is good and we want to send our kids there without having to move. If we rent a really small apartment in the good school district and use that address to get into the local school, while we continue to live in our home, is that legal?

The way I look at it, we are paying a rent and the owner is paying a property tax from the rent, and so, we are indirectly paying the tax that pays for the school. So, it is definitely not a freebie, but is it legal? Any advise is welcome!
Just find a friend in that area and ask to use their address. It works

My little cousin uses my address and she attends Leander High. She lives in Round Rock.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM

8,241 posts, read 10,158,142 times
Just find a friend in that area and ask to use their address. It works

Now THAT is illegal for sure. I don't reccomend it.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 PM

14,481 posts, read 26,586,880 times
you are supposed to LIVE in the district to have your kids go to school there---
if someone is moving into home in a different district and say they have not closed yet and school is getting ready to start--you can go to the local school, explain the situation, and show the documentation and if you re living in apt waiting or in old home waiting and are close enough to commute--school will let you enroll the kids in new school almost 100 per cent of the time...
but renting an apartment and LIVING someplace else is NOT LEGAL residence--if you had a child that was in athletics or other extracurricular activities that child could be reason for the team getting into trouble...
this happens sometimes with football/basketball players in hs...
your child could be ineligible for graduation if you did this and were discovered...

there are rules that allow students to live in one district and go to school in another--
this is from the TX TEA web site:

Can my child attend school in District A, even though we live in District B?

Generally, a child must attend the school district in which he or she resides. School districts can enter into transfer agreements to accept each others' students. Transfer arrangements may also result from wealth-sharing arrangements under Chapter 41 of the Texas Education Code. For more information, contact your school district or the Texas Education Agency (TEA) Division of State Funding at (512) 463-9238 or email sfinance@tea.state.tx.us.
In addition, Texas Education Code, Chapter 29, Subchapter G, provides for the Public Education Grant program. Under this provision, a child who attends a school that does not meet specific performance criteria may seek to attend another public school in the district or use a public education grant to attend a district other than the district in which the student resides. For more information, see TAA Correspondence Item For funding related questions, contact the TEA Division of State Funding at (512) 463-9238 or email sfinance@tea.state.tx.us. For questions related to the PEG program and methodology used to identify schools, contact the TEA Division of Performance Reporting at (512) 463-9704.

A parent may enter into a transfer agreement with “District A” pursuant to Section 25.036 of the Education Code. The receiving school district may charge a tuition fee to the extent permitted by Section 25.038.

Basically you might have to pay to have your child tranfer to another district (it might be cheaper than paying rent on that apt)

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM

347 posts, read 1,034,004 times
There's the whole social aspect too. My kids go to a charter school 20 minutes from where we live. Most of their friends, though, live within 5 minutes of the charter school. They miss out on a lot of playdates, etc. because I'm not about to drive them back to that area yet again. I feel kind of bad, but that's life.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM

8,624 posts, read 15,817,204 times
I was an address cheater in High School. We lived in a neighborhood zoned to Clear Creek High School, and my parents didn't want me to go there, so they used my stepdads parents address so I could go to Clear Lake. There were a few other kids I went to High School with whose parents did the same for them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin