Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times

Advertisements

Yeah, take a few trips to each city. Austin has UT, so there are some liberal type intellectuals here. I lived in Houston, and would also highly recommend it. Rice and U of H are there, so again similar to Austin in that respect. My sister and BIL live in Dallas. She's a DNA researcher/assistant in Cancers and he is an engineer, and they like to consider themselves intellectual giants and have a gang of smart, well educated friends that they hang out with. So, even though I've never personally lived in Dallas, I'd say give it a visit as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM

289 posts, read 1,135,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwherman512 View Post
People from California are moving to Austin by the thousands because the cost of living is better and it is very similar to San Diego- the feel, the laid back attitude, the high paying jobs, etc.
I lived in San Diego for more than 30 years and have lived in Austin for 2. When I first arrived, it reminded me a little of San Diego in the early 70's when it was more small town-ish. Well, San Diego without the beach, galleries, and vibe.

Anyway, while I like Austin better than San Antonio, I second the Dallas recommendation. I'm headed that way myself sooner or later. Austin is soooo laid back it's putting me to sleep.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
As an aside, having lived in Colorado for 6 years, I can tell you that you will not get away from the large hispanic families there either. Even way up in the mountains. And I'm not speaking from an Illegal/Legal standpoint either. Like Texas, they have a large generational(?) population of people from Mexico and S. America

Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,120,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwherman512 View Post
hello13685-
As you can tell there is not too much love between those that live in SA and Austin. Fact is you live in SA and don't like it. Give Austin a try. I lived in SA for 5 years and hated it with a passion. I still do. There is just something about living in a city where you can have a good, intelligent conversation with someone (something that you have figured out), as opposed to living in a city where people think they are "hot @hit" and valet their Yugos.
People in Austin think they're hot $hit and there's tons of valet parking. Austin is fast becoming Dallas Jr with a California twist...it's ruined!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM

944 posts, read 3,053,406 times
Thanks again, everyone. For the record, I love large Hispanic families. I was just saying that I want something else too (some diversity). In the SA social scene, it's either large Hispanic families, or White Billy-Bob, that's it, and I want more. I don't have anything in common with those types. Thanks again for your advice. I had not thought of Dallas (but then I fear it will just be Billy-Bob in nicer clothes??)

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,120,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Thanks again, everyone. For the record, I love large Hispanic families. I was just saying that I want something else too (some diversity). In the SA social scene, it's either large Hispanic families, or White Billy-Bob, that's it, and I want more. I don't have anything in common with those types. Thanks again for your advice. I had not thought of Dallas (but then I fear it will just be Billy-Bob in nicer clothes??)
Dallas isn't Billy Bob in nicer clothes...that's Fort Worth.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,411,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
People in Austin think they're hot $hit and there's tons of valet parking. Austin is fast becoming Dallas Jr with a California twist...it's ruined!
So far from being Dallas. That is such a ridiculous statement.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,015,363 times
San Antonio reminds me of LA. Austin's university setting may be to your liking, But for my money I would say Houston- especially the Rice Univ area and plus it is the most diverse city in Texas. Where have you been hanging out in SA. For as partying for people over 35- Austin is not the place, this is a college town

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,015,363 times
San Antonio actually has more Californians than Austin

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio reminds me of LA. Austin's university setting may be to your liking, But for my money I would say Houston- especially the Rice Univ area and plus it is the most diverse city in Texas. Where have you been hanging out in SA. For as partying for people over 35- Austin is not the place, this is a college town
I'm over 35 and I don't really see this. There are plenty of interesting things to do..and I'm not talking about drinking on 6th street. Been there twice. I keep hearing this from people. Are ya'll a bunch of fogies? What is your idea of "over 35 partying"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin