Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

A painted yard is really tacky. Its for more attractive and environmentally responsible to replace the sod areas with mulch and drought tolerant native plants. That helps keep the soil cool so tree roots can thrive, it helps keep the moisture in the soil and is far more attractive. It also provides habitat for birds, insects, lizards and other living creatures that we share this planet with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
A painted yard is really tacky. Its for more attractive and environmentally responsible to replace the sod areas with mulch and drought tolerant native plants. That helps keep the soil cool so tree roots can thrive, it helps keep the moisture in the soil and is far more attractive. It also provides habitat for birds, insects, lizards and other living creatures that we share this planet with.
I couldn't agree more. However so many homeowners seem to be locked into HOA rules that demand grass lawns... a bad rule that needs updating, in my estimation... that I wondered if anyone was resorting to such techniques to try and ward off HOA nastygrams.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
I would say no. This is what's sometimes done in DFW, do we really want to emulate that?
Go with a more drought-hardy grass, or xeroscape.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM

499 posts, read 1,305,879 times
Looks good in the pictures. I'd consider it if the HOA forced me to keep it green all summer.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I couldn't agree more. However so many homeowners seem to be locked into HOA rules that demand grass lawns... a bad rule that needs updating, in my estimation... that I wondered if anyone was resorting to such techniques to try and ward off HOA nastygrams.
Our HOA is in the process of revising its guidelines to allow just his kind of change. HOA's need to change with the times, ours is, Circle C is and many others in the area are adapting.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I've heard of it before, but I don't know if I would do it. I think most places use a vegetable-based dye, so it doesn't damage the grass or environment. I could see why someone who had their house on the market or something would do it. Ir just had one stubborn spot of brown grass.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Even if my HOA didn't demand it, I like a grass lawn. It's much nicer to throw a football around or kick a soccer ball on grass than it is on dirt or rocks.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Our HOA is in the process of revising its guidelines to allow just his kind of change. HOA's need to change with the times, ours is, Circle C is and many others in the area are adapting.
I've seen this. That's good. HOAs do serve a good purpose to keep property values up. But they also need to adapt as necessary. Some of the newer developments around the state have made being environmentally friendly from the get-go a selling point, and it's working.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I've seen this. That's good. HOAs do serve a good purpose to keep property values up. But they also need to adapt as necessary. Some of the newer developments around the state have made being environmentally friendly from the get-go a selling point, and it's working.
First off...painting a yard green doesn't satisfy most HOA requirements for grass lawns(green dirt, weeds?). I can see this as a temporary measure to make sure the Google Earth satellite photos turn out OK .

But seriously, folks...the brand new Pearson Place is building houses at a brisk pace. What will happen to the landscape is anyone's guess at this point. They are NOT included in Avery Ranch and will have their own HOA and sets of covenants(or not?). It will be very interesting to watch for ANY signs of environmental consciousness in this brand new development. My marketing degree didn't come with any horticultural training; but I would surely take this 'blank canvas' and try to encourage an environmentally responsible approach to the landscape in the yards as well as the common areas. But, silly me...I would also try to market some 'energy efficient' systems and materials as part of the overall package in this community. We'll see what happens. I know I would be drawn to a neighborhood that took a serious approach to energy and resource conservation...I might even look there first! (Of course, the 'footprint' of building a 4000 sq ft house to shelter 2,3,4 people calls into play an entirely different set of environmentally impactful considerations, but long-term efficiency can start with the foundation of the house).

Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM

42 posts, read 332,507 times
That article isn't actually about Seattle. It's an AP article about Indianapolis and New Jersey. Seattle seems to be almost +10 on the year. Probably a sign of the apocalypse once they have to start painting their lawns. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin