Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 51,870 times

Advertisements

My family and I are trying to find more information about this school district and which elementary school you would recommend. We currently live in Missouri so are trying to gather as much info as we possibly can before deciding on a definite move. We would also love your input on apartments/townhomes to rent for the first year.

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,553,184 times
Any of the Elementary schools in Eanes are good. The areas that feed into Eanes are some of the wealthier areas around Austin. The schools are very competitive and not very diverse which results in the highest test scores. To stay in that area after your first rental year, you'll probably need to spend over $300k on a home on the low end. With that said, Leander ISD, Round Rock ISD, and parts of Austin ISD (as well as other ISD's in the area) all have their share of quality schools. If you send your kids to Eanes, they will definitely be with the "rich" kids.

What is your rental budget and what size apartment do you need?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Any of the Elementary schools in Eanes are good. The areas that feed into Eanes are some of the wealthier areas around Austin. The schools are very competitive and not very diverse which results in the highest test scores. To stay in that area after your first rental year, you'll probably need to spend over $300k on a home on the low end. With that said, Leander ISD, Round Rock ISD, and parts of Austin ISD (as well as other ISD's in the area) all have their share of quality schools. If you send your kids to Eanes, they will definitely be with the "rich" kids.

What is your rental budget and what size apartment do you need?
Thank you so much for this information! We really didn't want to spend more than $1100/month (and would need either a 2 or 3 bedroom), but can pay more, if need be.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM

98 posts, read 186,832 times
You're going to have to find a better place than even what 1500 will get you into. The kids in that district don't relate well to the apartment crowd. It's going to be rough.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,553,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEL View Post
Like I wrote, we can spend more, if need be. I was actually hoping to get apartment names, but thanks for your input.
Gables Westlake
Barton Creek Landing
Gables at the Terrace
Mission Barton Creek

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Gables Westlake
Barton Creek Landing
Gables at the Terrace
Mission Barton Creek
Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it!!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
You're going to have to find a better place than even what 1500 will get you into. The kids in that district don't relate well to the apartment crowd. It's going to be rough.
The "apartment crowd" that you are referring to are MY children and I have full faith in the fact that my kiddos will be just fine socially, but thanks for your concern. We have no intention of moving from another state and buying a home right off the bat so we plan to rent.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM

I also came across this link:
Austin Area Apartments | Roselind Hejl's Austin Real Estate

Looks like price range will be just fine~

Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,057,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEL View Post
The "apartment crowd" that you are referring to are MY children and I have full faith in the fact that my kiddos will be just fine socially, but thanks for your concern. We have no intention of moving from another state and buying a home right off the bat so we plan to rent.
No need to get defensive. The poster was just trying to alert you to the fact that eanes is probably the most wealthy district in all of austin. With that comes a certain amount of snobbery. As someone who is not from here the point of coming on here is to get the real scoop.

Personally I did not want my kids to grow up around all that wealth. Like many things it is the 80/20 rule. Of course not everyone is from a wealthy family, but most are.

The median rental price is 1550 in eanes
The median 3 br rental price is 2100
The median home price is 888K

Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
Concur with what Mark mentioned in his post. Eanes is a very wealthy area, so of course it's going to be #1. We all want the best for our kids. However, your children can get a great education at a fraction of that cost elsewhere. Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville (yes, Pflugerville has some good schools in the bunch), Austin...if $1,100 is your budget and you're just getting established in a new state, my suggestion is to take it easy and find a great home within your budget that's also in a great school district. It's definitely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin