U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM

30 posts, read 67,650 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We (wife and 1 kid) are planning to relocate to Austin (from Portland, OR) sometime in the next 3 months.

My workplace is situated close to Barton Hills/Barton Creek (along Mopac, south of Downtown). We are South Indians and would love to live in a neighborhood that has Indians as well.

I assume the neighborhood closest to my workplace is SW Austin and/or W Austin?

Can you please suggest suitable neighborhoods for rental and home?

1) Would prefer apartments that are:-
- relatively new (5 - 10 yrs old)
- ~ 15 - 20 min to work
- ~ $1000 in rent

2) Home preference:-
- ~ $300K
- good school district (my daughter is a few years away from school time)
- not really particular about size, but generally >2000 sq ft
- relatively newer homes <10 yrs

3) Is there a good size of Indian community in SW Austin? Or what is the most preferred location...

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,376,120 times
More on north Austin but maybe rollingwood, westlake, circle c

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM

13,617 posts, read 30,319,179 times
SW Austin has a pretty large number of Indians, but not sure there is a specific neighborhood. Circle C and villages of Western Oaks both have 10-15% Indian families, based on the elementary schools breakdowns. Our daycare is probably about the same.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM

98 posts, read 164,669 times
Intel, I presume. Try Travis Country.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM

73 posts, read 204,731 times
Agree. Circle C has more and more Indian families moving in, although right now still not as many as in NW Austin. Some of them work for Intel. As to apartment rental: IMT Monterey Ranch, The Park at Monterey Oaks, The Sedona Springs, and the Preserve @ Southwest Parkway, they all have a lot of Indian Families because of their proximity to Intel, AMD, Freescale, and Downtown companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
SW Austin has a pretty large number of Indians, but not sure there is a specific neighborhood. Circle C and villages of Western Oaks both have 10-15% Indian families, based on the elementary schools breakdowns. Our daycare is probably about the same.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorInCA View Post
Agree. Circle C has more and more Indian families moving in, although right now still not as many as in NW Austin. Some of them work for Intel. As to apartment rental: IMT Monterey Ranch, The Park at Monterey Oaks, The Sedona Springs, and the Preserve @ Southwest Parkway, they all have a lot of Indian Families because of their proximity to Intel, AMD, Freescale, and Downtown companies.
Thank you very much for the info. Wow, apt rentals are quite expensive!

1) How are home prices in Circle C (and other adjacent neighborhoods in SW Austin)? What is a reasonable expectation to have - budget, age of home?

Here's an extract from a recent article -
"The largest wave of new single-family homes will spread out from Cedar Park to Leander and Liberty Hill, where there is plenty of undeveloped land. Significant growth also can be expected up through Georgetown. Less expensive homes will proliferate to the east of the urban core in towns like Manor and Hutto. Development to the south, southwest and west will be curbed by environmental issues and concerns"

2) I wonder what is the environment issues/concerns about SW area? Also I heard that the prices have climbed significantly in the last yr or 2 in SW Austin?

3) How bad is the traffic on Mopac is you live up North and have to travel past downtown to SW for work?

Hmm...I fear if Austin is also getting priced out of single income families :-(

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

84 posts, read 200,713 times
Right accross from Circle C on the other side of Mopac is a development called Sendera. Good value for the money. Right next to some of the Circle C shopping (and new Alamo!), yet more affordable. Many of the homes were built in early 2000's.

Depending on how many bedrooms you want, $300K for Circle C may not get you far and it most likely would be an older home than you'd like.

Most of the Sendera neighborhood is zoned to schools that are Exemplary (ES), Recognized (MS) & Recognized (HS

Old 08-09-2012, 03:11 PM

73 posts, read 204,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_PDX View Post
Thank you very much for the info. Wow, apt rentals are quite expensive!
Apt rental price climbed significantly this year. Search this forum, there are a few threads addressing this issue.

1) How are home prices in Circle C (and other adjacent neighborhoods in SW Austin)? What is a reasonable expectation to have - budget, age of home?

check this out from redfin, Real Estate Search | Redfin. You can get the feel about circle c housing market.

2) I wonder what is the environment issues/concerns about SW area? Also I heard that the prices have climbed significantly in the last yr or 2 in SW Austin?
Not so sure about the environment issues talked in that article. Yes, the housing market has been pretty hot this year in Austin, not only for Circle C.

3) How bad is the traffic on Mopac is you live up North and have to travel past downtown to SW for work?
The traffic is really bad. I didn't commute from North to South along Mopac during the rush hours daily, but I drove a few times North to South along Mopac any time from 4:00pm - 5:00pm. It took me one hour for 15 miles.

Hmm...I fear if Austin is also getting priced out of single income families :-(
I think your family will be fine even with a single income, assuming you work for the high-tech sector.
welcome to Austin!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM

98 posts, read 164,669 times
Everywhere south of the river pretty much went up this year. The suburbs especially - they went up at least 10%. Check out SWE, SWW and SC areas - all around 10% or more.

Austin Real Estate Market Breakdown by MLS Area – Midyear 2012

Lake Travis got nailed.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
Everywhere south of the river pretty much went up this year. The suburbs especially - they went up at least 10%. Check out SWE, SWW and SC areas - all around 10% or more.

Austin Real Estate Market Breakdown by MLS Area – Midyear 2012

Lake Travis got nailed.

Wow, that data is very useful! Thanks!

Seems like SW is really hot...average time on market - 10 days! Insane! I feel almost 5 years younger and desperately hunting for home in go-go times.

Any particular reason why SW areas are jumping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or