U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:20 PM

1,209 posts, read 5,755,834 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We made the loonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng drive from Scottsdale to Austin over the weekend, arriving yesterday morning at our house.

Our furniture was to come today, but alas, the truck is still in Phoenix. Movers SUCK! At least we are getting our washer, dryer and refrig delivered today. We camped out in the house last night and are exploring all of the bad and good about our place. We are finding some things our inspector missed, nothing huge, but kind of a hassle. We met 3 sets of neighbors within 3 hours of arriving - they are SO nice and welcoming - that was a huge plus! The weather is great. The kids seem to like having a two story house that they can crawl up and down the stairs...

One thing that we are really struggling with is the lack of storage. We are coming from a house with a 3 car garage and BOY these 2 car garages in Texas are TINY! Ours is actually fairly big compared to our neighbors but I have NO idea where I am going to put all of my Halloween and Xmas decorations. My husband said the attic on this house is not overly usable as it stands right now - there's no plywood down to store stuff and the insulation is all over. Hopefully we can figure outa solution. We had a handyman come by today and look at putting a whole overhead shelving thing in the garage...so on this note - do people in Texas just not have a lot of STUFF? We drive by some of the neighbors' garages and there are no ladders, no tool storage areas, etc. (we are in a subdivison with an HOA so you can't have outbuildings and such). We are kind of freaking out about it!

All in all it's looking to be a good experience...there are parts of the house we really like and parts we really despise, but what house is perfect? Just having the neighbors welcome us like they have - with everyone out in their front yards last night chitchatting and the kids running all over ....I haven't seen that since my childhood in the Midwest - and it made me feel like we made the right choice!
Oh...and for all of you worried about bugs...we found one dead scorpion on the outside of the house and one dead one inside the house within a few hours! That's more scorpions than we ever saw inside our house in AZ backed to 50 acres of open desert!

Exterminators have moved to the top of my to do list!

Okay - long enough novel. I'll stop now and I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Last edited by gigi927; 09-25-2006 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: forgot to write something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 03:30 PM

12,789 posts, read 28,814,185 times
Ah, storage. Having recently married and combined two households into one (after many years of collecting junk individually), we ran into storage issues. Regarding the garage, I would guess about half the two car garages in the neighborhood hold one car and lots of 'stuff'. We CAN put both in the garage, specifically for those times hail storms threaten, but we usually keep one in there and spread out my wife's pottery wheel and other things. To be more efficient, we have put in 'gorilla' racks along the front and hung/shelved about anything we can hang on the side walls - ladders, tools, yard equip, etc.

We also decked the attic over the garge with some fairly heavy duty plywood and moved anything that is not heat sensitive up there - boxes, some decorations, camping equipment, some tools, etc. This helped enormously.

We are in the process of getting a back yard tuff shed. They make one that is exactly 6 feet high so that it barely sticks up over the fence (they claim it will not, but with the footings it will) and has a shingled roof. This is acceptable to out HOA, so you may want to check out the details. In our case, we are the only house that shares a fence that does not have one. Mower and the rest of yard equipment will go here, along with most chemical type stuff.

Long term plans include installing a 'crawl' space adjacent to the second story game room. This area will be room heigh along the wall and slant down toward the eaves. Currently, this is empty attic space, but will convert to a semi-air conditioned storage are that will be quite spacious if not terribly tall. We have not priced it out completely yet, but it looks like it will be very reasonable priced.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,372,713 times
Default Storage

gigi927,

Welcome to Austin and Texas!

For storage, if your neighborhood permits it, try getting a shed built in the back yard. I'm pretty sure there is a Tuff Shed place in Austin and they make nice sheds. You can also get one built through Home Depot.

Also, for a two story house you might consider one of those emergency ladders to hang out your 2nd story window if needed. I also keep a fire extinguisher upstairs and downstairs.

Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM

437 posts, read 2,060,713 times
gigi927, oh I am so happy for you. I hope I am next.
Tell me how long the trip was and which way you went? I am from the High Desert area of Apple Valley.

I hope you will post and let us know how it's going. The food, restaurants, store prices, electric. Have fun unpacking.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM

802 posts, read 2,609,952 times
Yippeeeeeeeee! Welcome to the neighbourhood! See it wasn't that hard.
Storage issues, check out aplaceforeverything dot net or 4sosusa dot com. They both have some pretty good garage space solutions. If you need outdoor storage, Affordable Portable dot com is a good place to check too.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 AM

118 posts, read 517,789 times
hey Gigi, congrats on moving into your new house! How exciting!

I'm sure you'll figure something out wrt the storage issue. Freaky about the scorpions... I have a pest control guy lined up to spray our new house but good before we move in.

What mover did you use? We only have one bid so far... not sure when we're moving yet because we have to sell our house here first. Hope it will be soon, because we closed on our Georgetown house about 2 weeks ago!

Hope your furniture arrives soon! Keep us posted as to how you are adjusting to your new life as Texans.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:20 AM

92 posts, read 623,998 times
Default To Gigi (and fire extinguishers for EVERYONE!)

First, Gigi:
Much congrats on your first big steps in your new, excitig adventure!!!
(I'll try not to show my envy about being in the beautiful Steiner Ranch area.

Don't forget: Fire extinguishers!!
For you and everyone, whether you're moving or not.
My own personal fire-extingusher recommendations:
They're not all that expensive for a little extra peace of mind, which most people overlook.
Min. 5 lb.0r 10 lb. size, "ABC" type (with either "U.L" or "FM" listing tag.) (Larger ones will give you more burst time, but larger ones become more difficult to handle for the younger ones.)
ABC type is 'triple purpose': A) wood/paper B) flammable liquids/gases C) electrical (Recommeded over "Halon" types, as Halon are not triple purpose, and besides, they are being "phased out.")
I recommend to have at least one readily accessible in each of hte following areas: kitchen; garage; utility room; and at least one upstairs.
And don't forget to assemble the family for your emergency plan!! (Evacuation routes, place outside to meet w/cell phones, etc.)
Okay, I'll admit it: I'm envious of your home.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM

164 posts, read 665,950 times
You'll probably notice the loads of storage facilities along highways around Austin. Lots of folks rent them to hold their stuff, especially seasonal things. Attic spaces here generally aren't built to store stuff, but sometimes you can beef them up to hold things.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM

944 posts, read 3,632,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
....Just having the neighbors welcome us like they have - with everyone out in their front yards last night chitchatting and the kids running all over ....I haven't seen that since my childhood in the Midwest - and it made me feel like we made the right choice!
WELCOME

Your description of the neighborhood welcome is wonderful, it does sound like a great spot! That's not even common in most of Austin, only certain neighborhoods. And as for the scorpions, where ARE you??? Are you way out west? Dripping Springs? I've never seen a scorpion in an Austin urban neighborhood, only out in the country, and I've lived here 16 years!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:00 PM

1,209 posts, read 5,755,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
WELCOME

Your description of the neighborhood welcome is wonderful, it does sound like a great spot! That's not even common in most of Austin, only certain neighborhoods. And as for the scorpions, where ARE you??? Are you way out west? Dripping Springs? I've never seen a scorpion in an Austin urban neighborhood, only out in the country, and I've lived here 16 years!
deeptrance....we are in River Place, near the 2222 and the 620. We're having pest control out Thursday to do a series of monthly sprayings just to make sure we get everything that may be lurking. I was really surprised to see them, to be honest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or