U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
 
2,071 posts, read 3,723,745 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkld View Post
In what neighborhoods are unconventional, childless 30-40 somethings buying houses in the 150-160,000 range.

I know someone's going to say the east side, but it's just not pretty, and really not that cheap for what you get. I'm kind of shocked at the home prices over there.

Should I stick to the south / southwest? What areas?
Cool and that price don't work in Austin proper. Maybe in a rural area but not sure if you will find much coolness there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: SW
98 posts, read 91,783 times
Reputation: 61
The average home price in this town is like 230K or something. The cool neighborhoods go first usually. If you're trying to get ahead of it, try 78745 along Congress, Bannister, and South First. Stay close to Ben White aka SH-71 if you can. Battle Bend Springs/West Congress/South Manchaca neighborhoods would be solid bets if a house at that price is available. It's conceivably *bicycle distance* to downtown being under 6 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
 
892 posts, read 653,828 times
Reputation: 464
Poor ppl shouldn't buy houses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,062 times
Reputation: 14
For that price, the cool kids buy houses in Kyle or Liberty Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 598,423 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
^buffet and Austin97 pretty much beat me to it.

I really wish we had more of the townhouse-type places centrally, that are like brownstones. I know there would be a market for it. I see these in other Texas cities. Not everyone wants to live in a highrise or apartment-style condo.
Totally agree. Allowing those in Austin would make those neighborhoods and the central part of town much more affordable. Unfortunately unlike other cities over the years in Austin the very wealthy have managed to get all the neighborhoods in central entirely protected and they aren't allowed. The only places such could be built is along the main thoroughfares like Lamar or Riverside. But demand being what it is, it makes no since to build those there so we just end up with massive ugly apartment blocks on those streets, high-rise condos downtown and endless sprawl into the Hill Country and WilCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM
 
3,985 posts, read 6,000,105 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Good deals come up periodically on the east side. I almost bought a house right on lady bird lake near the holly street power plant for 165K. Im sure Ill regret it someday
Thats so funny, this house was 165 last year. There are 3 houses forsale right next to it that are all in the 325 range now. This one was right on the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,766 times
Reputation: 15
Thanks for all your replies.

There are houses all over south and east austin in the 150's, so maybe prices have come down since you last looked.

When I say cool, I mean the people, not the area. I know how real estate is in Austin, I've lived there before. I also know there are plenty of artists, musicians, creative types, etc., that cannot afford much over 150. Not all of us move to Austin from California or some other state that makes Austin seem cheap.

I was in a vintage store on S. 1st and the owner said all the "cool kids" were buying in Shady Hollow. I was just wondering where else they go when they are priced out. I can't bring myself to pay 150 for a shack that will probably get broken into, to save time on driving. I just can't wrap my head around that yet. My work will probably be south, so Cedar Park and other Dallas-type areas are out of the question.

What about areas around Oak Hill? or specific neighborhoods in South Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,766 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersnap92 View Post
The average home price in this town is like 230K or something. The cool neighborhoods go first usually. If you're trying to get ahead of it, try 78745 along Congress, Bannister, and South First. Stay close to Ben White aka SH-71 if you can. Battle Bend Springs/West Congress/South Manchaca neighborhoods would be solid bets if a house at that price is available. It's conceivably *bicycle distance* to downtown being under 6 miles.
Thanks Gingersnap92, that is very helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM
 
1,062 posts, read 1,279,733 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkld View Post
In what neighborhoods are unconventional, childless 30-40 somethings buying houses in the 150-160,000 range.

I know someone's going to say the east side, but it's just not pretty, and really not that cheap for what you get. I'm kind of shocked at the home prices over there.

Should I stick to the south / southwest? What areas?
There aren't any. It is very difficult to find anything near Central/Downtown for less than $350k. What about far south Austin like Southpark Meadows? You aren't going to find cute and pretty anywhere that is a short cab ride away from the key areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
 
1,062 posts, read 1,279,733 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkld View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

There are houses all over south and east austin in the 150's, so maybe prices have come down since you last looked.

When I say cool, I mean the people, not the area. I know how real estate is in Austin, I've lived there before. I also know there are plenty of artists, musicians, creative types, etc., that cannot afford much over 150. Not all of us move to Austin from California or some other state that makes Austin seem cheap.

I was in a vintage store on S. 1st and the owner said all the "cool kids" were buying in Shady Hollow. I was just wondering where else they go when they are priced out. I can't bring myself to pay 150 for a shack that will probably get broken into, to save time on driving. I just can't wrap my head around that yet. My work will probably be south, so Cedar Park and other Dallas-type areas are out of the question.

What about areas around Oak Hill? or specific neighborhoods in South Austin?
I would second Shady Hollow as well. If we could stay South I would consider this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top