Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You know, I guess I'm confused. I just can't seem to fit all these acts from this year's lineup into your little 4 part matrix. For each of the following acts, would you please be so kind as to indicate whether it is indie, metal, alt, or hip hop? That would be very helpful to me in planning my weekend so I don't have to waste my time on any of that kind of music I don't like. You know the one.
Done. You can pick it up at the Broken Spoke, Saturday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Done. You can pick it up at the Broken Spoke, Saturday night.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid I have a previous engagement to see The Raspas, at The Bat Festival, mon.

Besides, it wouldn't be polite to cheat all those other forum readers who are eagerly awaiting your critical analysis of this year's lineup.

You should definitely post it here.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 AM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
We are going to be there too. But we will be hanging out at the north stage. It is going to be really fun this year.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid I have a previous engagement to see The Raspas, at The Bat Festival, mon.

Besides, it wouldn't be polite to cheat all those other forum readers who are eagerly awaiting your critical analysis of this year's lineup.

You should definitely post it here.
No worries. That is at 6, and the Spoke is open until 11:30 - unless that is past your bed time. If you can't get there Saturday, it will be there when you get there. You have plenty of time until mid-October. No hurry.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
No worries. That is at 6, and the Spoke is open until 11:30 - unless that is past your bed time.
Don't even go there. The Greyhound Batfest (!!!) runs til midnight, and then the afterparty starts at 12:30. Hey , come on... Batfest is starting to give Fun, Fun, Fun Fest a real run for the money. I mean... Alex Marley, mon! And those grilled batwings... mmmmm. I wait all year for those. I don't understand why they can't have a food cart on South Congress year around, like Mighty Cone does.

Quote:
If you can't get there Saturday, it will be there when you get there. You have plenty of time until mid-October. No hurry.
Thanks again. But it's not just for my benefit that you should post it here for all to see. Think of all those 100,000+ ACL ticket buyers who just can't properly assess a music lineup without expert guidance. They should be told they're really only getting four genres for all those bucks they're spending!

Oh, the humanity!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. But it's not just for my benefit that you should post it here for all to see. Think of all those 100,000+ ACL ticket buyers who just can't properly assess a music lineup without expert guidance. They should be told they're really only getting four genres for all those bucks they're spending!
You will be the first to know when my on-line guide to ACL Fest is available for paid subscription. Who works for free? But in the interest of marketing, let me spare anyone concerned that they will waste their time, like you, with a rundown of the headliners (that would be the ones that are in REALLY BIG PRINT, at the top of the bill):

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Alternative Pop/Rock
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Alternative/Indie Rock
The Black Keys - Alternative/Indie Rock
Jack White - Alternative/Indie Rock
Florence + The Machine - Alternative/Indie Rock
The Avett Brothers - Alternative/Indie Rock
Iggy & the Stooges - Metal

Glad to be of service. The paid version will be ready soon.

Last edited by scm53; 08-23-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You will be the first to know when my on-line guide to ACL Fest is available for paid subscription. Who works for free? But in the interest of marketing, let me spare anyone concerned that they will waste their time, like you, with a rundown of the headliners (that would be the ones that are in REALLY BIG PRINT, at the top of the bill):
This isn't very useful to me, because I've never bought or not bought an ACL ticket based on the list of acts in REALLY BIG PRINT. But I can get that it might matter to some people. On the other hand, ACL always sells out, so maybe it doesn't matter a bunch. Or maybe it matters a lot, but not to a big bunch of people. So in any case I think (X + Y) X Z = not much mattering.

Anyway, looking over your marketing teaser, I'm afraid I won't be among those needing your paid services. From the list you supplied I would expect 6 of them to be pretty much alike, with one outlier. But personally I see them all as quite different, and I'd slice up the list very differently.

I mean, really, you consider Iggy & the Stooges to be Metal?! You would put them in the same pile with Judas Priest and Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden? Seriously? When they appear on just about every "Top Punk Bands" list every compiled? And on nary a Top Metal list?

And Neil Young and Crazy Horse... are they not one of the prototypical Folk/Country Rock groups to you? Sure seem so to me.

OK, enough. Enough! I say tomato, you say ketchup. Have a nice festival. I certainly plan to.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,836 times
Austin is a music town. There are music festivals. If someone doesn't like some of them to damn bad!

If someone's desired taste of music isn't being satisfied they should start their own festival. It is a lot of work, but people with little to no experience organizing such events do it all the time in Austin. That anyone can do it is one of the things that makes Austin special.

Problem may come that if you are the only one in the city that likes your very specific taste of music, it probably won't do all that well. lol. Bands are expensive, they want to be paid. They need and deserve to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin