U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,074 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 26 year old female currently living south of Washington D.C. I am moving to Austin and will be working in the Domain. I would like to find a little 2 bedroom house to rent but I am scared I will end up in a bad area because the prices are so cheap! Where I live now--$1,100 for a 1 bedroom in a crappy area where it's 91% black. (Im not racist, but in my experience, in this area being a white female in the "ghetto" isnt fun) $900/month for a 3 bedroom duplex in Austin sounds too good to be true! (Is it?)
I am hoping to find a place in Austin where it's close to the bars (within 15 min drive) but also less than 30 min commute to the Domain. I hear that east of I-35 is pretty bad? I also hear bed bugs and ENORMOUS roaches are a problem too! No vehicle theft, mugging, rape, shootings etc. I don't want to run into any of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Status: "Cool front coming...almost time for Chili !" (set 14 days ago)

1,918 posts, read 2,300,267 times
91% black? (not 90?)

You live south of DC.......in Maryland?

Why a house if you're currently in a 1 BR apt? (& $1100 for a 3 br doesn't sound logical to me)

If i was single, working in the domain & wanted access to UT & downtown area (& some neat areas near domain, burnet etc) I'd be looking near Far West & Mopac. (lots of apts & young people...nice trees & rolling hills).

Not sure about muggings, rapes, big roaches or the exact ethnic percentages though. & given your post you'll be in the bottom 13% of racial tolerance & geographic comprehension.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM

292 posts, read 418,072 times
You can easily rent a small house very near the Domain (within 5 minutes of the Domain and 15 mins from downtown) for $1100+ that is in a safe area. It will be multi-ethnic, but safe. You should look in the area between Braker and Kramer and Lamar and Metric. There are also some nice apartments right along Metric between Kramer and Parmer. I have lived in that area for 26 years, I even have rental property there (that is currently rented) so I know the area is safe. You do not want to rent much further south than Kramer, but then again, there are some properties just south of Kramer that are just fine. Stay north of the Rundberg area.

There are lots of nice rentals between the Domain and the Arboretum - but I'm not sure about the prices.

There are NO places in Austin where you are at constant risk for shootings, rapes and violent crime. It just doesn't happen here. I'm sure many people will give you many different ideas about where to live. You could live closer to downtown (but rent is higher) and your commute to the Domain would be against the traffic driving to downtown for work, so the commute would be easier.

Don't worry, there are LOTS of safe areas to live.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:32 AM

12,522 posts, read 10,370,177 times
Hi ho,

Welcome to Austin. As you might imagine, lots of people ask the same general questions, so there's a ton of information already posted here that you can access using the search functions. For example, searching on the keyword "crime" and limiting the search to the Austin forum, I got hits on 357 threads, including this one, which lists several different websites for checking specific areas for crime statistics.

Best Site for Viewing Neighborhood/Area Crime

The generic answer is that crime is low in Austin compared to DC, and much of the crime here is property crime.

The big bar and live music and club scene in Austin is downtown, centered around E. 6th Street, roughly from I-35 on the east to nearly Loop 1 (MoPac Highway) on the west. If you look at the map, The Domain is on Loop 1 (MoPac), about 12 miles north of downtown. So that's where to center your search. Working Northwest you'll probably want to rent Northwest, although you may find more apartments than houses in your price range. I'd check out the Arboretum area, Far West, and Allendale for starters. And FWIW, there are several bars in The Domain that are nice and quite popular. And there are also neighborhood meetup spots sprinkled all over the city, so you don't have to always traipse downtown just to hang out with your peers. There are lots of choices for socializing.

Bedbugs? There have been some outbreaks and localized issues, but absolutely nothing like the east coast has. Big roaches? We have very large palmetto bugs and tree roaches that occasionally get inside the house and freak people out but are essentially harmless. Good rental management stays on top of pest control.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
91% black? (not 90?)

You live south of DC.......in Maryland?

Why a house if you're currently in a 1 BR apt? (& $1100 for a 3 br doesn't sound logical to me)

If i was single, working in the domain & wanted access to UT & downtown area (& some neat areas near domain, burnet etc) I'd be looking near Far West & Mopac. (lots of apts & young people...nice trees & rolling hills).

Not sure about muggings, rapes, big roaches or the exact ethnic percentages though. & given your post you'll be in the bottom 13% of racial tolerance & geographic comprehension.
Yes 15 minutes south of DC is the worst part of maryland. 91% because thats what city-data said. I want a house because I have a dog that needs space and I never mentioned that I was single. I have a roommate, which is why I need a 2 bedroom. I dont want to live near a bunch of people (apartments) sharing laundry and other ammenities.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM

12,522 posts, read 10,370,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danileia View Post
I want a house because I have a dog that needs space and I never mentioned that I was single. I have a roommate, which is why I need a 2 bedroom. I dont want to live near a bunch of people (apartments) sharing laundry and other ammenities.
A lot of apartments in Austin have laundry hookups, or even washer and dryer in the unit. Most allow pets.

I mention this because the rental market in Austin is very, very tight right now, so you may have trouble finding what you want in a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin