Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
But we accept that because there's nothing we can do to stop the big money players from squeezing every possibly dime out of the boom cycle that is Austin Texas.
That's it in a nutshell. I heard a quip about that a few weeks ago that can't be repeated here, and it wasn't even from an old person longing for the past.

Last edited by capcat; 08-02-2014 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 10:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
The phrase "killing the goose that laid the golden egg" goes through my mind frequently these days when I watch this process. Once all the things that made people want to move to Austin have been driven out, those people will move on in droves, leaving us with the wreckage they created. And because some see it as "inevitable", we're supposed to just relax and enjoy it (credit to Clayton Williams)?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 AM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The phrase "killing the goose that laid the golden egg" goes through my mind frequently these days when I watch this process. Once all the things that made people want to move to Austin have been driven out, those people will move on in droves, leaving us with the wreckage they created. And because some see it as "inevitable", we're supposed to just relax and enjoy it (credit to Clayton Williams)?
"… Leaving us with the wreckage they created …" More hyperbolic rhetoric from someone who doesn't even live in Austin. Fortunately, smarter heads are prevailing and those of us who want to maintain quality of life here as we grow and ensure Austin doesn't turn into another Houston are making legitimate progress.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Fortunately, smarter heads are prevailing and those of us who want to maintain quality of life here as we grow and ensure Austin doesn't turn into another Houston are making legitimate progress.
"Smarter heads" defined as people that see it your way?

And what happens when the people that actually live here also reject the "smarter heads":

Quote:
Last week, CodeNEXT was dealt not one but two ego-bruising blows. On Tues*day, July 22, the first major neighborhood plan to come forward under Imagine Aus*tin garnered a "no recommendation" from the Planning Commission – meaning it heads to Council for approval on somewhat awkward footing. (The PC vote was 5-0, with four members absent.) The inaugural neighborhood plan also carries mixed reviews from residents in the affected planning areas bounded north and south by Ben White Boulevard and William Cannon Drive, and east and west by South First Street and Westgate Boulevard.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:33 PM

215 posts, read 351,143 times
What a mess this city has made of it self. Very sad.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
"Smarter heads" defined as people that see it your way?

And what happens when the people that actually live here also reject the "smarter heads":
Exactly.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
More hyperbolic rhetoric from someone who doesn't even live in Austin. Fortunately, smarter heads are prevailing and those of us who want to maintain quality of life here as we grow and ensure Austin doesn't turn into another Houston are making legitimate progress.
When it comes right down to it, we don't know really know if anyone who posts an opinion or argues a "cause" for Austin on this forum actually lives here. They might be posting from an office in Dallas, Houston, another state, or here in Austin temporarily before moving on to another city to develop.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:02 PM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
When it comes right down to it, we don't know really know if anyone who posts an opinion or argues a "cause" for Austin on this forum actually lives here. They might be posting from an office in Dallas, Houston, another state, or here in Austin temporarily before moving on to another city to develop.
I can't speak for "anyone who posts an opinion" on this forum, but I can say without a doubt that I live in Austin and THL does not (and has not for many years). Those are just facts.

Regarding SCM's Austin Chronicle post, I thought it was a good read. I like seeing neighbors making decisions about what they want their neighborhood to become, or not become. What I don't like is a bunch of people who live out in the burbs, or worse, don't live in Austin at all, feeling entitled to make decisions about what I can do with my central austin property.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for "anyone who posts an opinion" on this forum, but I can say without a doubt that I live in Austin and THL does not (and has not for many years). Those are just facts.

Regarding SCM's Austin Chronicle post, I thought it was a good read. I like seeing neighbors making decisions about what they want their neighborhood to become, or not become. What I don't like is a bunch of people who live out in the burbs, or worse, don't live in Austin at all, feeling entitled to make decisions about what I can do with my central austin property.
And perhaps those others who own central Austin property and are there a great deal of the time don't like seeing something done in their neighborhood that negatively impacts the neighborhood just because you want to do it.

Those others would be my children who have lived in the house at various times over the past few years, my lifelong friends who still live in Austin, tenants and clients who live in the area or would like to if it's not going to have a skyscraper built next door or up the street, those kinds of people.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for "anyone who posts an opinion" on this forum, but I can say without a doubt that I live in Austin...
Well, then, we have something in common. I'm not in the suburbs, so possibly you'll listen to my opinions. However, there will likely be a reason not to based on some other criteria, what with "smarter heads" and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin