Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,021 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job offer from a reputable company and requires me to relocate to the Austin area.

My wife & I are second generation natives here in AZ and our kids are third generation (time to break the cycle) People we have been talking to and the Realtor have recommend Round Rock or Georgetown. The cost is a little lower than Austin and has the family atmosphere.

A co-worker told me about this site and I thought what a great place to ask such questions. We have looked at the compare cities and got some basic information comparing Mesa to Round Rock. We're a bit excited to be moving to a bible belt area, where people say yes sir, yes mam and don't look at you like you have a third eye when you hold a door open for someone.

The wife will have the harder time adjusting to the move as she has never left home. I lived on a ship for four years and have been to a handful of countries

We're tied between buying or renting, with the low interest rates and all.

Thoughts, comments or questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Big factor in your decision on location will be your commute and ideal housing budget. Sharing that information will help the collective group provide targeted advice.

Just FYI, I don't know if I'd truly quantify Austin as a "bible belt" area - a bit more than Mesa, for sure, but not quite Central Alabama! The door thing for sure is present, and folks will be as friendly as what you put out!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Where will the job be located? There's a big difference in Round Rock and Georgetown when it comes to distance into "town" for the job. What's the price point you're trying to stay around? Cedar Park might be an option as well depending on the answers to the above questions.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

The job is located @ 5300 Guarita Court Austin, TX 78727. I am used to a 26 mile drive and could do that or less. Were looking to spending up to $160k ish... for a 4 bedroom. Oh and the bible belt comment was from the Realtor not me

Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
To work there and wanting under $160k, I would do East Round Rock or Pflugerville. I wouldn't go up to Georgetown. Here, it's not about the miles distance to and from places. It's about drive-time to places...

Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Pflugerville and RR are definitely going to give you some options. You might even be able to find something in the Anderson Woods area too, but that would be an older home, likely in need of some real updates. PVille will give you some newer construction, with a quick shot down 45 Toll to Parmer, you could be at work in 20 minutes. I'd second the notion to steer clear of G'Town for your situation, that commute would be a headache - there's a pretty good bottleneck at the intersection of IH-35/620/45Toll that would wear on you a bit, IMO.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Great information, keep it coming
Oh, the wife said we can't move to RR because there is no Costco! rofl

Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 PM

There's a Costco just around the corner from where you'll be working, and another being built at 1431/183 in Cedar Park.

Speaking of Cedar Park, there might be some options around there as well, and it's about the same drive as Pflugerville.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Great information, keep it coming
Oh, the wife said we can't move to RR because there is no Costco! rofl
There is a Costco not far south of where you will be working, so anywhere in Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander would be wise. I don't think there is a Costco anywhere near Georgetown, at least Google maps can't find one.

I'd recommend renting in that area for a year before buying, so you get a chance to know the areas better.

I once lived in the Mesa, Tempe AZ area. I think you will like Texas much more.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM

I want to thank all of you for your input, I will be leaving Arizona this weekend and am excited to see my new home (renting). I have been hearing nothing but great things about the Austin area and many are jealous of my departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin