Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,311 times

Advertisements

I just received an email from my tenant stating the following:

"We are having a major fire ant problem inside and out. Wanted to check with you if this is something you take care of or I do."

Under the terms of our lease, Tenant is to maintain the yard including "(b) controlling pests in the yard."

Despite the terms of our lease agreement, can my City Data friends share with me their views and observations about my (OWNER) responsiblities?

Thank you in advance for your friendly advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,121,833 times
It sounds like it is the Tenants responsibilities. But in order to maintain your property and keep the tenants happy, it might be worth to have the yard sprayed for fire ants, I don't think it costs much and you can write that cost off. For things like this I do to keep my tenants happy and they have stayed in our rental for 4 years now.

For long term, Ortho makes a granule you can use in a lawn spreader that is inexpensive and seems to do a decent job. Short term get out there with a bag of andro and spot treat the mounds. Cheap and easy.

Inside? I haven't heard of an issue with fire ants inside.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
I'd probably check out the "fire ants inside" claim. That rarely happens. If it's fire ants outside, and they maintain the yard, suggest that they might try some fire any control (next time they go to home depot or lowes).

But as a landlord, I'd want the indoor ants checked out. If they are the raspberry ants or carpenter ants you definitely want to take care of that because the damage they could do is significant.

I have a pest control contract with ABC for each of my rentals. They have been fantastic. It costs maybe $150 per quarter, they schedule the spraying with the tenants, and the tenants (or myself) can call them any time for a retreat if there is a specific problem. Since I've started using them 6 years ago, I haven't had a single pest complaint from my tenants.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,440 times
If ants are inside (any kind of ants) I would assume that's the landlord's responsibility.

We currently have an issue with various types of ants inside and outside our home and our home is impeccably cared for. Now living with the ant issue, and imagining if I were a tenant in this house and renting, I would want it addressed by the owner asap.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
We cannot answer your question directly since you have not provided the lease agreement. Under the single term you provided, it would seem outside pests are tenant's responsibility.

Regardless of whether indoor pests are tenant's or landlord's responsibility I would think its be in the landlords best interest to properly maintain this and also, having fire ants inside would raise questions, in my mind, of fitness for habitability.

Last edited by Komeht; 08-27-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
If ants are inside (any kind of ants) I would assume that's the landlord's responsibility.
That is a rash assumption when the lease specifically says it is the tenant's responsibility. Many leases make all pest control the tenant's responsibility.

If the property was free of pests when the tenant's moved in, then there is a good chance the tenant is responsible for bringing the pests into the house or attracting them with their living conditions.

As a landlord I have been providing the pest control services if the property needs it, simply because I want to protect my property. But if the tenant keeps the house in a dirty condition that will attract pests inside, I'm not going to renew the lease with them.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-27-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That is a rash assumption when the lease specifically says it is the tenant's responsibility. Many leases make all pest control the tenant's responsibility.
This is not what the OP said; OP only mentions the lease refers to pests in the yard, not inside.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Fire ants and nuisance pests should be the renters responsibility; damaging pests (i.e. termites) should be the landlord's responsibility, I would think.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
This is not what the OP said; OP only mentions the lease refers to pests in the yard, not inside.
But that is not what you wrote. I was responding to your comment.

Quote:
That is a rash assumption and often incorrect.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
That is a rash assumption when the lease specifically says it is the tenant's responsibility.
She did NOT say her lease details that it is the tenants' responsibility to handle inside pest control. She said her lease details tenant responsibility for pests in the yard. As such, that is what I respond to.

Quote:
That is a rash assumption and often incorrect.
The OP specifically asked for our 'views, observations and advice'. My response is simply MY VIEW in relation to the information she provided, including no mention of any lease provision for tenants handling pests inside the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin