Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM

49 posts, read 86,200 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We recently moved from Plano to Austin. We found a nice house in Lake Forest community. The elementary and middle schools are good (or good enough). However, I'm a bit concerned and not sure about the Cedar Ridge HS. It's brand-new (2010) with 9th grade only for 2010, 9-10th for 2011, and now with 9-11th. For 2010 & 2011, they ranked "Unacceptable" by TEA as less than 60% of African-American passed the TAKS test.
Student scores don't always correlate with the teacher's skill. However, I have no other data to evaluate. My oldest will be in HS in 3 year and I have to decide soon.

Do you have any comment/info on this particular high school?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,086,868 times
Are you looking at a house in Village III, by any chance?...the one off of Collingwood or maybe the one off of Timber Creek?

My son is currently a senior at Cedar Ridge. And actually, the school started with 9th and 10th in 2010. My son started there as a sophomore, so he's a part of the first graduating class. A lot of parents are concerned about the statistics, but I assure you that the teachers have been great, thus far. I have a few personal issues with the school, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Are you looking at a house in Village III, by any chance?...the one off of Collingwood or maybe the one off of Timber Creek?

My son is currently a senior at Cedar Ridge. And actually, the school started with 9th and 10th in 2010. My son started there as a sophomore, so he's a part of the first graduating class. A lot of parents are concerned about the statistics, but I assure you that the teachers have been great, thus far. I have a few personal issues with the school, but it's nothing I can't deal with.
Thanks Mrs.JT. Thanks for the insight info. After all, teacher quality is what I care most about.

The house I'm looking at is on River Creek.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:31 PM

You're welcome. I know I didn't give you much information to work with, and although I've generally been happy with my son's teachers, I'm still trying to get a feel for the school. We also have a 4 year old, and to be quite frank, we will be watching the school as it establishes itself and determine whether it will be a good fit 10 years from now.

There are so many streets named "river ....", but I'm not sure if I've ever seen River Creek. I know there are homes for sale on River Forest, Deep River and Cool River. The house for sale in River Forest is actually my new neighbor's previous home. They needed a bigger home, so they moved to the other side of Lake Forest. Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
You're welcome. I know I didn't give you much information to work with, and although I've generally been happy with my son's teachers, I'm still trying to get a feel for the school. We also have a 4 year old, and to be quite frank, we will be watching the school as it establishes itself and determine whether it will be a good fit 10 years from now.

There are so many streets named "river ....", but I'm not sure if I've ever seen River Creek. I know there are homes for sale on River Forest, Deep River and Cool River. The house for sale in River Forest is actually my new neighbor's previous home. They needed a bigger home, so they moved to the other side of Lake Forest. Good luck with your decision!
Actually, it's River Forest. I saw so many homes and mixed up the street. How is the principal at Cedar Ridge HS?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM

I just realized there are three homes for sale on River Forest, so the one you're looking at might not belong to my neighbor, afterall.

The principal, Dr. Presley, seems okay. I had an issue I needed addressed the first year, and he responded to my email promptly. The following year, I contacted him again about another concern, and I received no response. I thought he may have disseminated my email to the proper personnel to be addressed, and if that was the case, I at least expected an acknowledgement of my email, but nope...nothing. I understand that he's busy, but I was hoping to eventually receive a response.

I'm not sure if this is how it works at all high schools with a large student body, but the students are assigned specific principals based on grade and last name. The grade level principals we'd been assigned have been great. Anytime I had any issues or questions, they always addressed them.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,478,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post
Hi,
We recently moved from Plano to Austin. We found a nice house in Lake Forest community.
Lance, I'm not pickin' on you; but I'm surprised none of our Austin faithful have jumped on this and reminded you that Round Rock is NOT Austin. 'They' can get a bit riled up when people outside a 3 square block area around 6th Street say they live in Austin.

Welcome to the 'area'. DW and I have done some pet-sitting at the Mansions Apartments, driving right by Cedar Ridge HS. That area has really grown and is maturing nicely from what I can see. Good luck settling in !

Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Lance, I'm not pickin' on you; but I'm surprised none of our Austin faithful have jumped on this and reminded you that Round Rock is NOT Austin. 'They' can get a bit riled up when people outside a 3 square block area around 6th Street say they live in Austin.

Welcome to the 'area'. DW and I have done some pet-sitting at the Mansions Apartments, driving right by Cedar Ridge HS. That area has really grown and is maturing nicely from what I can see. Good luck settling in !
I saw that on some threads :-). Just convenient to say Austin I guess :-)
My apartment is in the Austin zip code but my kids go to RRISD.

I have decided to skip the east side of 35. I'm now focusing on the west side and Cedar Park area.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,478,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post
I saw that on some threads :-). Just convenient to say Austin I guess :-)
My apartment is in the Austin zip code but my kids go to RRISD.

I have decided to skip the east side of 35. I'm now focusing on the west side and Cedar Park area.
We're in Avery Ranch, on the dividing line between RRISD(McNeil) and LISD(Vista Ridge HS). Avery Ranch is as far 'north' as you can go and stay in the city of Austin(along here, of course). Cedar Park is north, on the other side of Brushy Creek. Between Avery and Round Rock proper is the area commonly referred to as Brushy Creek(part of the RR ETJ).

All sorts of homes around here. Your workplace/commute could be a big factor in choosing a home within the school boundaries you seek. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin