Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 AM

106 posts, read 476,157 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'd kill for a white clam pizza, a New Haven specialty. Well, mebbe not kill... but I'd certainly maim for one.

And I'd loooooooove to have a really local --Katz isn't "local" to me-- NY deli... chopped chicken liver w/ crumbled hard boiled egg & thin slivers of onion... yummmmmmmy.

TX Griff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:44 AM

106 posts, read 476,157 times
As for bagels, Einstein Bros. Bagels is probably the closest I've found to East Coast bagels. Yes, it's a chain, but it's got a great selection and chive cream cheese.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a place with both SALT bagels and CHIVE cream cheese.

TX Griff

Old 10-08-2007, 04:00 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,364 times
Attention all entrepreneurs....there is money to be made in these hills by catering to
newbies tastes....personally, Chicahhgo(how they pronounce it there)food would go
over good in Texas and Austin, as everything there is super-sized, fried and/or greasy.
And yes, I expect to get my arteries roto-rooted like all former chi-towners eventually.
Hey, it keeps the hospitals in business, and increases the GNP, so i'm just doing my
part for america.

http://www.bobbygs.com/images/Chicago-dog-new.jpg (broken link)

As you can see from these lovely chicaaaggo food pics, we need these artery clogging
bundles of joy in every storefront in Austin....now!

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-08-2007 at 04:17 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Chicago isn't east coast.

TX-Griff, I agree Einsteins is pretty good. They are also known as Noah's Bagels on the West coast. They are also sold at Costco here. They used to be authentic east coast bagels, even made in a kosher kitchen - but while the ingredients are still kosher, the kitchen isn't.

I thought Manny Hatten's was pretty good (for all types of NY Deli food) - I don't know about "authentic" but still pretty good. Great black and white cookies!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Griff View Post
Personally, I'd kill for a white clam pizza, a New Haven specialty. Well, mebbe not kill... but I'd certainly maim for one.

TX Griff
Homeslice has a white clam pizza. Not sure if it's any good. The pies I've had there so far have been good. They seem to try very hard to make authentic East coast pizza.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Chicago isn't east coast, agreed, but it shares that old world comfort food ethos that
is east coast old world european. We don't lean quite as heavily towards jewish deli
items, but more so than even some cities on the eastern seaboard, especially the mid-atlantic ones. Also, Chicago would be the one city out of area that could reasonably be considered in the same vein as east coast per food and persona.
My actual thought here is that I find very few east coast folks here in Austin, so maybe that answers the actual question as to why there aren't more east coast style eateries. You can get real technical on this point and split the east coast into the sectors that people actually identify with, as there are so many people and styles that its a challenge to lump it all into east coast. Being out there more than a few times, I know that New England would consider itself quite distinct from the mid-atlantic, florida is a separate world, and NYC the most separate world of all. New England is more crabcakes and chowdaaaah, Philly would closely approximate Chicago in its cheesesteak comfort foods, NYC is big on Pizza like Chicago, but thin crest predominates, the mid-atlantic skews southern with hush puppies and such, and, again, Florida is a gumbo of folks from all over that bring their own thing to the mix, and skews hispanic like texas
in its dishes, as well as the obvious seafood stuff. It seems to me like you folks are pinning for NYC deli stuff, just one flavor of a huge palate of food in a heavily populated and greatly diverse sector of our country, culinary wise.
I'm also glad to see some east coasters on here, as I don't recall seeing any out-of-state plates from the east coast anywhere. Usually its nothing but California, west coast, south, and midwest. I'm glad to see Austin is finally on the radar
of the east coasters, if thats the case......

Last edited by southwest1230; 10-08-2007 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM

149 posts, read 498,335 times
My grocery list of what I'm missing - german rye bread (haven't found it here yet in spite of significant number of people with german roots), hungarian salami (somewhat like hard salami but not exactly the same), veal bologna, kosher sour pickles (without vinegar), french traffles, pure ceilon loose tea (hate tea in the bags)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM

I just realized something! Austin is becoming a cosmopolitan city before our eyes!
It wasn't long ago here you could find literally nothing but BBQ and tex-mex. I can see
that not long from now Austin food will change, morphing into a hodgepodge of where
the out-of-staters are coming from, which is actually how the east coast regional
dishes came about in the first place. Nothing but people migrating enmasse and mixing
all their influences into something that becomes a sum greater than the parts.
You can trust me that BBQ and Tex-Mex will still be a strong part of the equation, regardless of how food changes out here the next 10 years or so. Interesting to think of how it will play out, isn't it?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Chicago isn't east coast, agreed, but it shares that old world comfort food ethos that
is east coast old world european. We don't lean quite as heavily towards jewish deli
items, but more so than even some cities on the eastern seaboard, especially the mid-atlantic ones. Also, Chicago would be the one city out of area that could reasonably be considered in the same vein as east coast per food and persona.
My actual thought here is that I find very few east coast folks here in Austin, so maybe that answers the actual question as to why there aren't more east coast style eateries. You can get real technical on this point and split the east coast into the sectors that people actually identify with, as there are so many people and styles that its a challenge to lump it all into east coast. Being out there more than a few times, I know that New England would consider itself quite distinct from the mid-atlantic, florida is a separate world, and NYC the most separate world of all. New England is more crabcakes and chowdaaaah, Philly would closely approximate Chicago in its cheesesteak comfort foods, NYC is big on Pizza like Chicago, but thin crest predominates, the mid-atlantic skews southern with hush puppies and such, and, again, Florida is a gumbo of folks from all over that bring their own thing to the mix, and skews hispanic like texas
in its dishes, as well as the obvious seafood stuff. It seems to me like you folks are pinning for NYC deli stuff, just one flavor of a huge palate of food in a heavily populated and greatly diverse sector of our country, culinary wise.
I'm also glad to see some east coasters on here, as I don't recall seeing any out-of-state plates from the east coast anywhere. Usually its nothing but California, west coast, south, and midwest. I'm glad to see Austin is finally on the radar
of the east coasters, if thats the case......
The Great Lakes areas are similar as well but are more influenced by Eastern European foods: Hungarian, Czech, Croatian, Serbian, Polish etc...still has a strong Jewish and Italian but not as much as NYC.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 130,015 times
Man, do I miss NY pizza. Yeah, I've tried Homeslice, they do try here in Austin, but of course it ain't the same! I eat pizza everyday when I'm back visiting. I also miss getting Dunkin Donuts french vanilla coffee every morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin