U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,071,540 times

Advertisements

See these threads:

ok, let's talk about the cost of running that a/c

Electric Usage- What is your kwh usage per month? Is mine high??

The following graph is the data from that thread.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM

653 posts, read 1,682,577 times
I think I have used my heater for a total of 2 days since I bought my house, almost 2 years ago.

I find it interesting that so many houses and apartments have fire places here.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,057,837 times
Last winter was VERY mild - the winter before that? Not so much!
Might have turned the heater on for 30 days or so then...

I still don't see 29% of my annual energy usage for heat though - CptnRn, was that a national number?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM

65 posts, read 123,743 times
When I lived in FL my home had a whole house fan. There was a grate in the ceiling and when the fan was turned on it sucked all the air out of the house and into the attic and at the same time it sucked the air conditioning through the house or the heat, or fresh air if the windows were open. I could leave the A/C set to about 80 degrees in summer or the heat at 65 degrees in winter while I was away. When I came home, I turned on the A/C or the heater and turned on the whole house fan for 30 seconds and my house became comfortable immediately. It saved a lot of electric usage. It was also wonderful if I wanted to air out the house because I could open the windows and turn on the whole house fan. Immediately there was fresh air in the house and I didn't have to leave the windows open all day to get the same results.

I haven't seen that in any of the homes here in Austin. I think it would work very well here.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM

14,769 posts, read 32,671,425 times
Quote:
The following graph is the data from that thread.
Just to nit-pic, but you should have curve fit it to form a continuous curve .

Quote:
I haven't seen that in any of the homes here in Austin. I think it would work very well here.
We had an attic fan when we lived in G'town, but they just aren't as effective here, I think, with the temperature still very high when you get home - if I turned my AC off all day, the house would climb to the upper 80s or so, I suspect, and when I got home at 5:30 or whenever, the outside temperature would still be above that. Turning on an attic fan would just pull in even warmer air.

They do work very well in the fall, in particular, when the humidity is down and the temperatures do not get as high and fall faster.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 AM

8,961 posts, read 15,902,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

We had an attic fan when we lived in G'town, but they just aren't as effective here, I think, with the temperature still very high when you get home - if I turned my AC off all day, the house would climb to the upper 80s or so, I suspect, and when I got home at 5:30 or whenever, the outside temperature would still be above that. Turning on an attic fan would just pull in even warmer air.

They do work very well in the fall, in particular, when the humidity is down and the temperatures do not get as high and fall faster.
Agreed, between all the limestone dust in the air and the temps remaining above 90 until well into the evening(4-5 months of the year), I wouldn't use a whole-house attic fan much at all. I think if that decades old technology were to be found effective in central Texas, darned near everybody would have one. Now, if I could fashion one for the garage, THAT might be worth checking out

Old 09-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Last winter was VERY mild - the winter before that? Not so much!
Might have turned the heater on for 30 days or so then...

I still don't see 29% of my annual energy usage for heat though - CptnRn, was that a national number?
Probably so, that graphic comes from Home : ENERGY STAR So I'm sure it is a national average. Austin would be much higher in cooling and lower in heating.

It is most useful in illustrating that the opourtunities to save money and energy on appliances and water heating are relatively low. You are better off putting your efforts into saving on heating and AC, adding insulation, etc, that is where the big savings are available.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ha-ha... The chart was taken from a very small sampling so it would be misleading to use a curve as it would suggest there was a spike in some sizes that is probably just an abnormality.

In my opinion.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Agreed, between all the limestone dust in the air and the temps remaining above 90 until well into the evening(4-5 months of the year), I wouldn't use a whole-house attic fan much at all. I think if that decades old technology were to be found effective in central Texas, darned near everybody would have one. Now, if I could fashion one for the garage, THAT might be worth checking out

Easy to do. Just put one of these in your attic vent and an opening from the garage to the attic and it will take care of the problem for you.

Broan 353 1140 CFM Gable Mount Powered Attic Ventilator - Amazon.com

However, I was advised by the City of Austin energy conservations experts that trying to cool of your whole attic every day using something like this, even when controlled by a thermostat, will typically use more energy for the fan then it saves on your AC bill. Naturally, I learned this AFTER I installed one in my attic dormer. So I used it only when I wanted to go work in the garage in hot weather.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoDitto View Post
When I lived in FL my home had a whole house fan. There was a grate in the ceiling and when the fan was turned on it sucked all the air out of the house and into the attic and at the same time it sucked the air conditioning through the house or the heat, or fresh air if the windows were open. I could leave the A/C set to about 80 degrees in summer or the heat at 65 degrees in winter while I was away. When I came home, I turned on the A/C or the heater and turned on the whole house fan for 30 seconds and my house became comfortable immediately. It saved a lot of electric usage. It was also wonderful if I wanted to air out the house because I could open the windows and turn on the whole house fan. Immediately there was fresh air in the house and I didn't have to leave the windows open all day to get the same results.

Architect friends of mine have one of these in their house. They say it does work well in spring and fall when temperatures are more moderate. Especially for a quick cool down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin