Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM

78 posts, read 123,422 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old male about to graduate from UT in December. I'm originally from South Austin near Circle C but have lived on West Campus or near WC the past 4 years in college. I plan to get a job in the central Austin area and really do not want to move South (definitely not North) but obviously one bedroom rents are extremely high centrally.

I would like to live in Clarksville, Brykerwoods, Tarrytown, or pretty much anywhere south of 35th street, west of I-35, north of Loop 360/290.

I have seen some places I could probably afford but my parents have been paying my rent the past 4 years and at the least it was $700 + utilities and at the most $1100 with only electric & water bills.

I need to be in taxi access to downtown because I can't drink and drive and I obviously want to be young and "go out". Does anyone know anywhere that has cool one bedrooms or studios that would fit this criteria? I have friends that have cool places that are not that expensive but they are either extremely exclusive and rarely are available, their parents bought them a condo during or after college (ugh, so lucky), or they just have a good deal because they rent from someone they know.

Also, for a post UT grad what price range should I be looking for? Obviously price point highly depends on salary but what would YOU say about a recent college grad's potential rent? I don't have a "9 to 5" job yet but I am currently a server at a popular restaurant and make $700-1000 a week (all cash).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Clarksville has some efficiency apartments tucked away in various parts of the hood. But best bet is to just drive around looking for signs, since they don't advertise any other way

Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
I don't exactly know why you are counting out east Austin. Its a nice neighborhood that's up and coming.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I don't exactly know why you are counting out east Austin. Its a nice neighborhood that's up and coming.
My parent's live near Circle C and I like mopac. I honestly like how on mopac there are no billboards or mess. I hate I35, the traffic and all that jazz. If I lived on the east side it would have to be walking distance to downtown and definitely not Riverside or anything like that.

Even 1 mile East of I-35 is too "deep" into the east side for me.

It may be "up and coming" but there is so much garbage over there it's disgusting. There is a very small section of the "east side" I would even think about moving to.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Lots of options available https://www.padmapper.com/

http://everythingaustinapartments.co...m1=Y&x=70&y=21

Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texxas View Post
My parent's live near Circle C and I like mopac. I honestly like how on mopac there are no billboards or mess. I hate I35, the traffic and all that jazz. If I lived on the east side it would have to be walking distance to downtown and definitely not Riverside or anything like that.

Even 1 mile East of I-35 is too "deep" into the east side for me.

It may be "up and coming" but there is so much garbage over there it's disgusting. There is a very small section of the "east side" I would even think about moving to.
Whoa. Please tell me that this garbage you are referring to is actual refuse and not human beings...as in the citizens of east Austin. I know you can't possibly be calling people and things associated with people garbage.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:25 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Whoa. Please tell me that this garbage you are referring to is actual refuse and not human beings...as in the citizens of east Austin. I know you can't possibly be calling people and things associated with people garbage.
I took him to mean literal garbage or clutter, since he complained about the billboards. I assumed he is a very visual oriented person so I didn't see the outrage until you pointed out the other meaning.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I meant garbage in a garbage way. There is way more clutter (billboards, etc) and dirty, and more unkept on the east side. Older homes in west austin are renovated and kept up, a lot of the homes, and you cant even argue with me here, on the east side are not kept up well. I'm not saying everything is. But to live somewhere on the east side that is "cool" and close to downtown is still expensive and I would rather live west of downtown and paying those prices. Since I'm an Austinite and grew up in South Austin. Mopac easily connects to downtown and everywhere that I want to be. I have no reason to go to the east side.

And I really hate to say this but a lot of my low income friends live on the east side and a lot of drug dealers because they take advantage of dirt cheap rents. No offense, that's not the environment I want to be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin