Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times

Advertisements

I found a dog last year, and did take it home. It escaped my backyard a couple of times, so I brought it inside. I called 311 and they connected me with the animal control people. They said it would be 24-48 hours before a pick up. I didn't want to wait that long. I posted on Facebook and also our community chatroom, and many home owners recognized the dog. He came from several miles away, but apparently our neighborhood used to be part of his property so he escapes often to come back "home". I called the owners and they came and picked him up.

Taking him to the shelter wasn't even a thought I had. Maybe if I found him on a main road like SW Parkway, but being in a neighborhood, I assumed someone would know something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
FalconheadWest: Yeah, I think it would have been different if I found them near my home.

Tick-tack: That's awesome - thank you!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Hey - great news all! The Animal Center says these dogs were reclaimed by their owner earlier today! Yay! I love a happy ending!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
What a couple of Nice folks you two are. I commend you both for going that extra mile!!! It will come back to you when you need it! Again....Thanks for being Good Folks!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Aw shucks. I just wanted to help. I did find out through this process that you can keep found animals in your home for a few days while your try to find owner, but you can report the dog to the city and even get it posted on the found dog web site so that if the owner is looking for it they can find it. I was worried about how I would find the owner if I kept the dogs, so that alleviates that fear. I think I will get an extra leash to keep in the car in case this happens again so I can "foster" the dog instead of having to take it to the shelter.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
What a great ending! So good of you to stop and round them up too. They both are real sweeties....

Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM

62 posts, read 77,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Aw shucks. I just wanted to help. I did find out through this process that you can keep found animals in your home for a few days while your try to find owner, but you can report the dog to the city and even get it posted on the found dog web site so that if the owner is looking for it they can find it. I was worried about how I would find the owner if I kept the dogs, so that alleviates that fear. I think I will get an extra leash to keep in the car in case this happens again so I can "foster" the dog instead of having to take it to the shelter.
I think both of the dogs were micro-chipped before they left!

Yes, you can keep the dogs for a few days. The dogs are listed as FOUND on the shelter's website. Anyone coming into the shelter looking for a lost pet also reviews the FOUND dogs.

While I am at it......there are storms coming PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep your dogs indoors or if they are outside make sure they have a collar and tags on. The shelter is so overcrowded and more stray dogs coming in means that dogs will be euthanized for space.

Thanks again for picking them up!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I think both of the dogs were micro-chipped before they left!
Fan-tastic!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Kiacook, I love it that you picked up these dogs. This story had a happy ending that might not have been had they been hit by a car. Bless you.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Kiacook, I love it that you picked up these dogs. This story had a happy ending that might not have been had they been hit by a car. Bless you.
Yep, definitely.
Glad for the happy ending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: