Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
JLO JLO started this thread

86 posts, read 212,109 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like we are relocating back to Austin. Currently we live 30 miles outside Dallas in a very rural area that is very affluent (even though we are not.) The public school my son attended last year was rated a 9 according to GreatSchools.com. He was lost in the shuffle there with a number of children being disruptive due to alternative learning capabilities. Hoping I am being politically correct. We switched him to a private school this year and he is thriving.

Having lived in Austin (Cedar Park) for 3 years, I am worried about the public school education in Austin. I volunteered teaching Spanish and got an up close and personal experience with the students being mainstreamed that certainly needed to be in an alternative ed environment. Where I went to school in NY, students that exhibited the learning difficulties and behavioral differences would have been offered what I call a “minder” to work with them on a one on one basis. Clearly the state of Texas is not so good at offering extra care when it comes to children who need one on one attention. Forgive me. All children need to be educated, but my concern is with relocating back to Austin and enrolling my child in a public school where distractions are the norm is that he is going to be sidelined and forgotten. He is not gifted, but very intelligent. He is easily distracted. This is what happened in Cedar Park. His B average as a 1st grader is now straight A’s in a private and rigorous privae school here in Heath, TX.
I do not want to return to Cedar Park. I have an older stepson who did “ok” with the average education he received there. However, my younger son needs more personal focus to excel.
I can’t decide whether to buy in Eanes school district or to go to west Austin for a cheaper home and afford a St. Andrew’s education, Waldorf etc.

We are not religious or conservative. We are pro education and independents. I would like a school that focuses on academics more than sports. My son is small in stature but a great athlete at heart and execution. He will never be a professional. He needs a top notch education with a focus on his individual needs which means he need not be distracted by alternative learners who compromise the bulk of the attention afforded by the public elementary teacher. He is smart but not the smartest. He is talented but not the most talented. He is athletic (soccer, baseball, swimming) but not the best at anything. He is good all around. So what does a parent like me do? Send my kid to private school? Buy a house where resale is not as sound as in the “best’ public school district? Or buy in the best public school district and hope for the best. The latter sounds too risky for me. Are there other parents out there who feel the same? What was your choice? Specifically, do I invest in Eanes ( the lower income areas – Valley View Elementary) or do I go further west where homes are cheaper and opt for private schools such as the Waldorf School?

Will he be lost at Eanes in the less affluent schools? Should I focus on a more specific education such as Austin’s Waldorf school? I grew up Catholic (Northeast) and both my husband and I have Ivy League Educations. I know that choosing the the best schools (public, private, elementary or college) is not necessarily “the best” route for every child. The “best” is subjective. I just want my son to thrive in the best educational and situation and am trying to make the best decision based on my economic limitations. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you know about particular schools, areas etc, please let me know. Be honest. I’m not looking to be around elitists. Right now, my husband works with some of the most influencial people in Dallas. We are both successful based on the bottoms up route. Rags to Riches … just not enough riches where economic decisions aren’t important. I just want my son to experience quality education with the hope that one day he will be educated and employable while still retaining his self-esteem and not being pegged as the “poor boy.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,032,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post

If you know about particular schools, areas etc, please let me know. Be honest. I’m not looking to be around elitists. Right now, my husband works with some of the most influencial people in Dallas. We are both successful based on the bottoms up route. Rags to Riches … just not enough riches where economic decisions aren’t important. I just want my son to experience quality education with the hope that one day he will be educated and employable while still retaining his self-esteem and not being pegged as the “poor boy.”

Take a look at [laurel mountain/kathy caraway/spicewood (I think)], canyon vista, westwood in RRISD. For whatever reason the areas that feed into this RRISD school chain are in austin. For example half of the houses on yaupon feed into RRISD. Houses along oak knoll also feed into RRISD. Everything north of there all the way to anderson mill feeds into westwood. Those areas are 15-20 minutes from downtown.

westwood is arguably better than westlake high but they are really pretty close. The fast track kids dont really have classes with the regular kids as the fast trackers are doing AP or IB classes. There are lots of areas that feed into canyon vista/westwood that are very affordable. I would say academics are emphasized more at westwood than sports.

I have to admit I didnt actually understand what you were referring to when you said alternative learners. If you just mean stupid and disruptive kids you should say so

Old 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,884,917 times
I'd go private. CHeck out St. Francis and St. Andrews (which you already know about). St Francis is a great and differnet place - it's not religious, despite the name. Several of my frineds who are UT profs send their kids there.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,976,190 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're doing a lot of hand wringing about the judgments and opinions you hold, and you're overthiking it. I disagree with most of the general conclusions upon which you're basing your thinking.

I had two children attend Austin Waldorf through 8th grade and then on to Westlake High. Both did fine in both settings, though each had different experiences. I think most public school kids do just fine in most of the good to better schools. Seems like you're painting your kid into a corner that limits where you think he can succeed. Maybe he's more resilient and capable that you think. I think any child will thrive and do very well in any Eanes school, or at AWS. Many of the Leander Schools are very good, in affordable areas. Lake Travis has excellent schools. And the Westwood track mentioned by Austin97 is excellent also.

Austin has a lot of very good options so it it not be difficult to find a good combination of housing affordability and good schools.

Steve

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,299,283 times
You are really overdoing it. Also, AISD has too many great schools to be cast off as you did in your post. For instance, there are no high schools, public and private, in Central Texas that will compare to LASA, even if it does draw from the entire district. Finally, you go to a school, not a school district. Don't focus on the school district as much.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
The nice thing about St. Andrew's and Waldorf, the two private schools you mention, is that the kids don't have to be mega-athletes to participate in sports, like they would at Eanes. You will certainly get smaller class sizes, closer teacher/admin attention, and less discipline issues at those schools than AISD in general.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,976,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The nice thing about St. Andrew's and Waldorf, the two private schools you mention, is that the kids don't have to be mega-athletes to participate in sports, like they would at Eanes.
This is true. Both of my kids enjoyed sports at AWS but could not make it past 9th grade teams at Westlake. I feel like the public school kids can participate up through 8th or 9th grade in public school, but it becomes very competitive after that, leaving most without any formal PE regime.

That said, a good athlete will be playing below capability and be frustrated at the lower competition levels of some of the private schools, which is why some transfer out to schools with better sports programs if they have talent that can't be fully developed in the small school setting. This isn't always the case, and I've seen some superb basketball, volleyball, track, etc, at AWS, but for a kid wanting baseball of golf, for example, it's just not the place where high level development can occur.

Steve

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM

743 posts, read 1,359,187 times
I don't necessarily think OP is overthinking this. If you've had actual experience where your kid was "lost in the shuffle" at public school but now thriving at private school, I believe that is a helpful data point in making your school decision here in Austin.

That said, not all public schools are created alike, and I do think you might be able to find a public school where he still gets the support and attention you would expect. I would suggest you visit a few of the stronger public elementary schools and try to see if you can see your son thriving there. Ask a lot of questions and observe the classroom environment. At the same time, visit some private schools and make the same assessment. You might also want to consider renting in one of the better public school districts and start there. You should know within a year or two if you think the fit is going to be right. I know many people who moved their child out of private school into Eanes and have been exceptionally pleased. At the same time, I know some who have moved their kids out of Eanes into private and felt it is a better fit. It comes down to your kid and where you think their needs will be met best.

I have kids in both public and private schools, so I have no agenda. In one case, I found the public elementary school to be perfect for my child, but the middle school was a huge disappointment (both are Exemplary rated, so ratings don't tell the whole story). Some kids would be fine in either setting, but some will do much better in the private school setting. And the answer might be different whether you are deciding upon elementary, middle or high school.

Best of luck with your decision!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,615,180 times
Well, from what it sounds like also is that you don't want your kid to be in classes where there are folks that learn differently because they are taking away learning time and you think that they should be in special classes instead of mainstreamed? IF that is what you are thinking you need to go to a private school and not public. because of laws schools have to go with the least restrictive environment for those in special ed. Good luck in your wish to find such classes since my son is a special learner with adhd,aspergers and dysgraphia I am sure he might not fit in with your plan.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,997,147 times
My three kids completed K-12 in Lake Travis ISD over a span of 16 years. I do not remember a single instance where they said their education was disrupted, compromised, or otherwise negatively impacted by non-traditional students in their classrooms. My kids had no special needs, were academically oriented but also in sports, were not part of the football/cheerleader crowd, and otherwise performed well in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin