Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times

Advertisements

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 49,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Do you realize that 10 years ago when you were 20, cool by default and you felt like the star of your own personal movie that some guy who had just turned 30 could have written essentially the same diatribe?

Where are you moving? If it's anywhere on the East coast I'll be happy to regale you with stories of how good things were 10 or 20 years ago, be it Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC or Providence.
God no. I've been to all of the above. I'm going west coast or west...

Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austiniteararebreed View Post
God no. I've been to all of the above. I'm going west coast or west...
Ok then, my bad.

If you are going West or West coast then traffic and cost of living won't be bad at all.

Enjoy!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Which is why I like Round Rock and rarely ever venture down to Austin towards the crowds of people and traffic....

Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
I've lived here since 1995.

Austin has grown from a sleepy regional city to a major American city. Yes, it can be frustrating but it is also a ringside seat on a transformation few get to watch unfold. If you don't appreciate that the problem is in you, not the city.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post

Austin has grown from a sleepy regional city to a major American city. Yes, it can be frustrating but it is also a ringside seat on a transformation few get to watch unfold. If you don't appreciate that the problem is in you, not the city.
I would only disagree in that we are in the process of growing to a major American city - not quite there yet.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post

So, if you don't appreciate watching a city of, for you and a lot of other people, exactly the right size, and that's one of the reasons you live there and love it, be destroyed for the dubious "benefit" of becoming a "major city", you're the one with a problem?

Since when was being a "major city" the ultimate goal for every community and every person in every community? Just because you want to live in a major city doesn't mean that everyone does, or even that they should.

As for the "privilege of watching that happen", some people used to think that watching hangings, or witch burnings, or gladiators, were something worth watching, too, and anyone who didn't appreciate them had a problem (and was likely to end up on the being viewed end of that in some cases).

If people who live here and love it because they don't WANT to live in a major city and wouldn't if you paid them are sad that the city they love is being destroyed, the problem is not really with them. That's like someone telling a woman who objects to being raped that not appreciating what's happening to her means that the problem is in her because, after all, the rapist is happy with what's happening!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, if you don't appreciate watching a city of, for you and a lot of other people, exactly the right size, and that's one of the reasons you live there and love it, be destroyed for the dubious "benefit" of becoming a "major city", you're the one with a problem?
Cities are not museums. They evolve. The good ones grow, the bad ones die. Austin is growing because it is successful. The only way to stop growth is make the city less attractive. Can we all agree that we don't want to make the city less attractive?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Yes, we can agree on that. And you know what? The reason that many people complain about what's happening is because to them, Austin IS being made less attractive. That you have the opposing position doesn't make theirs any less valid.

Have you ever heard the old story about killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, we can agree on that. And you know what? The reason that many people complain about what's happening is because to them, Austin IS being made less attractive. That you have the opposing position doesn't make theirs any less valid.

Have you ever heard the old story about killing the goose that laid the golden egg?
So your solution is what exactly? Make Austin less attractive so people stop coming? You speak in aphorisms without ever giving specifics.

The fact is Austin is attractive culturally, economically, physically. People and businesses want to be located here. Change is coming - it's happening right before our eyes.

The only question that remains is how do we want to direct that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin