Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times

Advertisements

Wow, I had no idea. That is sad. He put a lot of work into it, and the Christmas season has barely begun.

He put on the light show for years, in the past. I guess the publicity was, indeed, the demise.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
I talked to him today and stopped the show due to safety and bad behavior by visitors. I don't see why you guys are coming down on him for not wanting his address public. I hope it has been pulled from this thread. Just because information is easy to get it doesn't mean that the ethical thing is to post in on a public forum especially when they ask for it not to be posted.

He did not expect it to go as viral as it has. previously it was popular but not to the extent of this year. There is a difference from 10's of cars to 100's and people driving from out of state and damaging property. It isn't just some amount of traffic.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
I don't think anyone had an issue with the address not being made public. I know traffic on our street went way up, and we're not really that close! Its too bad it went so viral.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
That really is a shame. I've been wondering how he was approached by the media - did a neighbor or passerby submit the story or did he, himself? If it was the former, it's sad that an action with good intentions ultimately caused an unexpected outcome - safety issues, bad behavior by visitors and property damage? Wow.

My daughter really enjoyed the show the past couple of years, and I'd intended to drive out to RBC to continue the tradition.

...tell them to come back over to our neck of the woods. It's lonely without them.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
This is so sad!!!! I take care of special needs clients and they really wanted to see the light show. We drove around for a couple of hours just looking at all the lights that are up so far. Anna court was absolutely beautiful and they were so happy. We looked but no musical house. Such a bummer!!!! Sucks we missed it. Great job John Storm, it was still amazing even though we couldnt see it in person. You are truely talented. Sorry folks had to ruin it for you. Maybe you can pair with the trail of lights in round rock or zilker park and share your talent there. God bless!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
For the record, I asked if someone could please DM me with the address. I didn't ask for it to be posted. I am well aware that I can look these things up on the internet, but I did not know the person's name.

I also think that if you are going to go to the effort of doing such a display, the purpose would be for people to actually see it. If you are going to allow every news outlet from KVUE to CNN to do stories on your display, you have to expect increased traffic.

It sucks that some people going to see the lights have ruined it for everybody. My plan was simply to take my kids out there, park nearby, watch the show, and leave. Not even get out of the car. We have a tradition of driving to see Christmas lights every year; I was just going to add this house to the list. There are several houses here in Steiner that also have lights synchronized to music that we see every year. People are courteous, and the owners and neighbors seem to enjoy watching people and kids getting into the Christmas spirit.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
For the record, I asked if someone could please DM me with the address. I didn't ask for it to be posted. I am well aware that I can look these things up on the internet, but I did not know the person's name.

I also think that if you are going to go to the effort of doing such a display, the purpose would be for people to actually see it. If you are going to allow every news outlet from KVUE to CNN to do stories on your display, you have to expect increased traffic.

It sucks that some people going to see the lights have ruined it for everybody. My plan was simply to take my kids out there, park nearby, watch the show, and leave. Not even get out of the car. We have a tradition of driving to see Christmas lights every year; I was just going to add this house to the list. There are several houses here in Steiner that also have lights synchronized to music that we see every year. People are courteous, and the owners and neighbors seem to enjoy watching people and kids getting into the Christmas spirit.
If everyone was like you it would be a problem, for some reason many have no manners. John didn't want to stop the display but had to before something went very bad. The only other step possible would be to have police help with traffic and they have better things to do. It is unfortunate for all, he really didn't want to do it.

I personally have seen an increase in people speeding through my street and people don't seem to care that there are small children out. I don't know if it is because of the lights but it could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin