Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDANBOT View Post
What neighborhood are you guys from with this problem? I live close to Louis Henna and 1325 and there are roosters in the middle of brand new apartments and homes. I think my area/neighborhood is like this forgotten area with no rules anymore. Bahhh
Well, yes, brand new apartments and homes in that area generally means that the area was rural not that long ago (and a lot of it still is). Which means that "no rules anymore" doesn't really apply - it's just that the rules that some newcomers want don't fit all that well with the rules that the original occupants have.

That being said, backyard chickens are in and have been for a while (perhaps longer in Austin than some other places).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDANBOT View Post
What neighborhood are you guys from with this problem? I live close to Louis Henna and 1325 and there are roosters in the middle of brand new apartments and homes. I think my area/neighborhood is like this forgotten area with no rules anymore. Bahhh
Are you in Round Rock or Cedar Park? Regulations that apply in Austin do not necessarily apply in those other locations.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I found this, roosters are not allowed in Round Rock unless the land is zoned agricultural.

Round Rock Texas Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
There are no laws restricting the number of "personal fowl" you can have in Austin, and you can have roosters too. (My next-door neighbors have had up to 9 roosters at one time along with 10-20 chickens.) They are not supposed to have the coops within 50 feet of anyone's house (which is nearly impossible in some neighborhoods with small lots), and they are supposed to keep the chickens' area clean and feces-free. I live in Quail Creek, and honestly, I have come to absolutely hate the urban chicken movement because my neighbors are idiots who have WAY too many birds that they are not caring for properly.

If you can't resolve the issue with the owners directly, the number you want to call is 512.978.0311. This is the City's health and environmental health number, and you can talk to their "chicken inspectors" who can help you out.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I know we are talking about Round Rock, but they are not currently allowed in Cedar Park at normal residences, however there is a movement to try to allow them. If that ever happens, the HOA neighborhoods will probably just write it into their by-laws to not allow them if they get enough votes. The link below shows meeting notes from last year and has a pretty good summary of "fowl laws" for the cities around Cedar Park as well.

http://www.cedarparktexas.gov/module...ocumentid=3200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin