Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have researching areas around San Antonio and just getting info overload. A little about me. I currently live in Alaska and my husband is living/working in Kenedy, TX. Ideally San Antonio is "closer" to him but is too large for me. I REALLY need to live in a smaller area regardless if it is a bedroom community or seperate towm, the later is preferrable. The places that have stood out to me more so have been San Marcos, Boerne, New Braunfels, Round Rock.

My wish lists:
#1 Good Schools!!-this is first I have 2 elementary aged children, one of them in performing arts. If there is any hidden gem of schools in performing arts for a dancer please let me know!!

#2-Reasonable prices on houses- I have seen some areas around Austin and San Antonio that seem pretty but too high priced. I also dont want dirt cheap and not good area. Just moderate. House rentals from $1,000 to top $1,400 month or to buy tops $200,000

I dont want a very crowded town, I have lived in small town for a while now and don't think a congestted town would work for me. The place I was set on prior was San Marcos but I have noticed it seems to be very college centered(which is good) but cannot seem to find any houses for rent that is not geared towards college students. If anyone also can point out a great place surrounding Kenedy that would be awesome, I can't seem to find any. Beeville seems ok. I won't rule out anywhere in opposite directions that I said.

Lastly, commuting for my husband is NOT a priority. He works many hours and has housing through company. He will mostly be with us on his time off. Any advise or input is greatly appreciated. I think I am someone looking for what everyone else is, a decent place with community feel, good schools, etc. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Round Rock and Boerne are the two best school areas of those you listed. Both are nice places but very different. You say that San Antonio is too big for you though, and Round Rock is really just a part of the Austin sprawl. Now I think Austin/Round Rock is a beautiful area. However I don't mind living in "big cities" because I grew up in Chicago and Houston.

As a comparison. You mention being from Alaska - my fiance is too. She is from Alaska and currently living in Abilene, Tx (160,000 people). Her first visit to Round Rock/Austin here gave her a feeling of "holy crap this is scary, it's a BIG city!" My reaction is the opposite, i.e. "wow this is a nice smaller city, nothing at all like Houston/Chicago/etc ... easy to get around, beautiful ..."

That is just to say that although I love it here, if "small city" is the feel you are looking for San Marcos/Boerne might be more up your alley. Now, Georgetown here also might fit into your personality too, but it is even further north than Round Rock (and Boerne and RR schools are rated significantly higher than Georgetown ones).

Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
+1 on Boerne. And you'll be closer to your husband.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Round Rock is more than 2 hours away from Kenedy. Even doing that commute just once a week would be a real nasty deal, in my book. Boerne definitely seems much more doable.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
There is NO WAY I would live in Round Rock and drive to Kenedy. Even Boerne would be quite a drive and completely across San Antonio. I think I would look into Floresville, Seguin, Beeville, or even Victoria if you wanted to be closer to the water. I lived in Victoria and worked in Beeville (lived there part-time when I didn't want to make the 72 mile drive home), and either of those towns would be fine for you. During that time period, my now-husband was living in north Austin so we would make that drive regularly - I cannot imagine doing it long-term though. Good luck and I hope you love the South Texas lifestyle! I sure did, and I met some of the nicest people of my life down there!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Try La Vernia. It's about 45 Minutes from Kendey and has better schools than Floresville.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Round Rock and Boerne are the two best school areas of those you listed. Both are nice places but very different. You say that San Antonio is too big for you though, and Round Rock is really just a part of the Austin sprawl. Now I think Austin/Round Rock is a beautiful area. However I don't mind living in "big cities" because I grew up in Chicago and Houston.

As a comparison. You mention being from Alaska - my fiance is too. She is from Alaska and currently living in Abilene, Tx (160,000 people). Her first visit to Round Rock/Austin here gave her a feeling of "holy crap this is scary, it's a BIG city!" My reaction is the opposite, i.e. "wow this is a nice smaller city, nothing at all like Houston/Chicago/etc ... easy to get around, beautiful ..."

That is just to say that although I love it here, if "small city" is the feel you are looking for San Marcos/Boerne might be more up your alley. Now, Georgetown here also might fit into your personality too, but it is even further north than Round Rock (and Boerne and RR schools are rated significantly higher than Georgetown ones).
Thanks so much for your advice!! I am originally from Los Angeles but moved to Alaska when i was 18. Now when i visit LA, I am like "Whoa" this is too large, LOL. I have actually been to Austin prior but never surrounding areas and I also liked it. But of course it was to visit so I knew at the time I'd be getting out of the crowds.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone for advice. I will def look at the towns recommended. My husband said the areas he is at has been getting higher priced due to oilfield workers there. I am looking at Beeville but have always been drawn more to in between areas of San Antonio and AUstin. I think Boerne is perfect(without having seen it LOL) but it seems a little expensive, and am sure is worth the higher price tag with the good schools. It also seems a little extra drive but he will be doing it only once a week anyways.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
If being closer to your husband is a big factor consider some of the towns others listed. If a beautiful setting and great schools are higher on your list then Boerne wins hands down. The schools in Boerne are vastly supperior to all others mentioned. Someone also mentioned Victoria, and I would never live there in a million years. Poor schools, lots of bad areas, nothing at all really redeeming about that city in my book.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Thanks everyone for advice. I will def look at the towns recommended. My husband said the areas he is at has been getting higher priced due to oilfield workers there. I am looking at Beeville but have always been drawn more to in between areas of San Antonio and AUstin. I think Boerne is perfect(without having seen it LOL) but it seems a little expensive, and am sure is worth the higher price tag with the good schools. It also seems a little extra drive but he will be doing it only once a week anyways.
Boerne is a suburb of SA & you can't afford a shack for 200K. But yes it's nice. It's also on the wrong side of SA distance wise from Kenedy. If you're gonna be on that side of SA, why not Bandera which IS a small town, is a county seat & IS still fairly inexpensive.

Towns I'd be looking at if i were you (wanting a small town, wanting a nice place for 200K or less, hopefully good schools) would be:

Halletsville, Cuero, Schulenberg, Gonzales, maybe Seguin (all small towns & county seats). Maybe Shiner & La Vernia (not county seats). This area (kinda in the middle between Htown, SA & Austin) is really pretty, has lots of neat towns (many founded by Czechs) & hasn't been "discovered" by the 'Trader Joe crowd yet.....& is cheap.

& I wouldn't go 100% on great schools scores (look behind the numbers). In small towns, a segment of the pop will always bring the great schools number below the uber suburbs (like RR & Boerne). But do look at the numbers.....some small towns are better than others.

I lived in NB, it's nice but is also evolving into a suburb of SA. (actually it's really nice for lots of reasons....post or do a New Braunfels search on citydata if you want further info).

Bastrop, La Grange & Columbus fill the bill, but are farther than the ones I previously mentioned. Gtown & RR (btw, the "best schools" in RRisd aren't even in 'RR, they're in Austin.) and greater Austin as someone mentioned, is a 2+ hour drive & I'd be cursing you every weekend on my 2+ hour drive each way......if i was your hubby & could have lived in a nicer bigger home in the 5 towns that i mentioned above (& all under an hour from Kenedy).

I'd post in the Texas thread.....half the people who post here haven't even heard of Cuero or Halletsville, much less been to them......& what about Corpus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin