Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
Let me help you again. I'm from NYC. Austin doesn't know skyscrapers. Less confused?

Also, if you think you're downtown skyscrapers aren't destroying the hill country ... try looking up at the stars. Whoops. A skyscraper light instead. Or maybe it's a Covert overhead bulb from suburbia.

So, sorry about your confusion.But your diagrams are a great distraction from my point that you too are guilty of destroying hill country. And beautiful hill country, including downtown Austin, doesn't mix with skyscrapers. That's the ultimate betrayal.
I can't tell if this is self parody or flame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Are you the one hunting coyotes in Lakeway for dinner?
I don't get the coyote thing. Did you get your drink on early today?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Let me help you again. I'm from NYC. Austin doesn't know skyscrapers. Less confused?

Also, if you think you're downtown skyscrapers aren't destroying the hill country ... try looking up at the stars. Whoops. A skyscraper light instead. Or maybe it's a Covert overhead bulb from suburbia.

So, sorry about your confusion.But your diagrams are a great distraction from my point that you too are guilty of destroying hill country. And beautiful hill country, including downtown Austin, doesn't mix with skyscrapers. That's the ultimate betrayal.
And NYC hasn't always had skyscrapers so what is your point? Only certain old cities should have skyscrapers? Absurd.

Austin can do skyscrapers very well and all you have to do is look at real estate data to see this.

And yes all ground was once virgin, still it is better to reuse and add density to land already developed than to continually gobble up new land forever.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Thank you for the image of soccermoms driving in their Tahoes pulling up to their 3500sf McMansions on tiny lots after having spent the after noon at Bed Bath and Beyond, Dicks Sporting Good, and pulling out some dinner from Pei Wei as a kind of hippy commune co-existing with nature. That was just..awesome.
So where do you shop instead of BBB and Dicks?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
So where do you shop instead of BBB and Dicks?
Not that I go to those places, but I'm an urbanite and don't masquerade as someone communing with nature to protect my little slice of suburban hell.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
JLO

86 posts, read 213,063 times
Quote:
I don't get the coyote thing. Did you get your drink on early today?
If you don't shop at regular retail stores like BBB and Dick's, one must assume that you don't grocery shop as well in traditional stores. So, when there was a remark made regarding hunters shooting coyotes in Lakeway, one must assume that you urbanites are heading out to hill country to go hunt'in for food. Because you wouldn't dare shop at HEB like the rest of us soccer moms. As for getting MY drink on, you sir should knock one back and chill out. You're so angry with soccer moms. Mommy issues?

As for Skyscrapers .... it's ok with you 'urbanites' to litter the sky with skyscrapers because it signifies "urban." Well, my point is for all of you less than blessed with reason, Austin was once hill country. If you think skyscrapers compliment hill country than you are hypocrites.

I think I made my point. Now go ahead and stomp your feet really hard in your overpriced well worn "urban home" that never encroached on hill country. The more you stomp on your slab, the deeper your foot print.

Sorry to say, you lost this argument ... your home near the city is just as guilty as suburban homes in terms of destroying hill country. And as for communing with nature ... my suburban friends can still look out and see the hill country until Covert comes in and taints the view. You, well you can see look out your window and see another overpriced house close to downtown. Enjoy your view of the skyscrapers ... heading out to Dicks to buy a pair of hiking shoes so I can hike the hill country next door.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
If you don't shop at regular retail stores like BBB and Dick's, one must assume that you don't grocery shop as well in traditional stores. So, when there was a remark made regarding hunters shooting coyotes in Lakeway, one must assume that you urbanites are heading out to hill country to go hunt'in for food. Because you wouldn't dare shop at HEB like the rest of us soccer moms. As for getting MY drink on, you sir should knock one back and chill out. You're so angry with soccer moms. Mommy issues?

As for Skyscrapers .... it's ok with you 'urbanites' to litter the sky with skyscrapers because it signifies "urban." Well, my point is for all of you less than blessed with reason, Austin was once hill country. If you think skyscrapers compliment hill country than you are hypocrites.

I think I made my point. Now go ahead and stomp your feet really hard in your overpriced well worn "urban home" that never encroached on hill country. The more you stomp on your slab, the deeper your foot print.

Sorry to say, you lost this argument ... your home near the city is just as guilty as suburban homes in terms of destroying hill country. And as for communing with nature ... my suburban friends can still look out and see the hill country until Covert comes in and taints the view. You, well you can see look out your window and see another overpriced house close to downtown. Enjoy your view of the skyscrapers ... heading out to Dicks to buy a pair of hiking shoes so I can hike the hill country next door.
Honestly, none of this makes any sense. just a string of words with no coherent thought whatsoever. Does anyone know this poster? I think she's had a stroke or something and needs assistance.

Good luck with getting your brain fixed.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 11,641 times
I think some of these "urbanites" need to take a look around downtown Austin right now! New skyscrapers going up, new condos and apartments, - maybe you don't care about the Austin skyline or your area changing, but do not sit there and judge those of us living in rural ticky, tacky houses trying to protect where we live if it doesn't affect you and you really don't care. You are not doing all of your shopping in downtown Austin so you are just as much to blame for the rural areas expanding as any of the new housing developments. Rural areas are going to expand, but putting a car dealership or any other unwanted business in a community after you have been told "no" should not be supported by any of us whether it backs onto a backyard or you simply have to drive by it every day.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveOurHillCountry View Post
I think some of these "urbanites" need to take a look around downtown Austin right now! New skyscrapers going up, new condos and apartments, - maybe you don't care about the Austin skyline or your area changing, but do not sit there and judge those of us living in rural ticky, tacky houses trying to protect where we live if it doesn't affect you and you really don't care. You are not doing all of your shopping in downtown Austin so you are just as much to blame for the rural areas expanding as any of the new housing developments. Rural areas are going to expand, but putting a car dealership or any other unwanted business in a community after you have been told "no" should not be supported by any of us whether it backs onto a backyard or you simply have to drive by it every day.
Pardon? I live work eat sleep play between Mopac and 35 Ben White to 183...I go to the lakes on occasion, to enjoy be in nature, ride my bike out to the lakes, occasional drive out to the hill country likewise. How is my urban lifestyle anywhere close to as impacting the hill country as the FW moms living in their 3500 sf McMansion in the hill country and shopping at the HCG?

Please...again. All of this is a diversion. FW is mad about property values and views. That's it.

The funny part is they enlisted everyone's support on this and it backfired badly.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 11,641 times
Quote:
Pardon? I live work eat sleep play between Mopac and 35 Ben White to 183...I go to the lakes on occasion, to enjoy be in nature, ride my bike out to the lakes, occasional drive out to the hill country likewise. How is my urban lifestyle anywhere close to as impacting the hill country as the FW moms living in their 3500 sf McMansion in the hill country and shopping at the HCG?

Please...again. All of this is a diversion. FW is mad about property values and views. That's it.

The funny part is they enlisted everyone's support on this and it backfired badly.
That is a pretty big area to be considered "downtown Austin".

No one in this community, including the Falconhead West neighborhood, found out about this car dealership until December when it showed up on the City Council agenda, so I guess I am not clear on exactly how they enlisted everyone's support and it has backfired badly? Other neighborhoods are supporting them as well as the Hill Country Coalition as well as many of us that do not reside in any of the housing developments. This is not just a Falconhead West issue, but I guess you just cannot understand that. I believe this battle has just begun and it is definitely is not over yet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin