Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 14,789 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move soon, hopefully this summer, to a place that has more to offer to a 25 year old single lesbian Jew. I have heard Austin is awesome for gays. Is this true? Also, I would look to live in downtown Austin in a gay/ gay friendly neighborhood. I am not looking to teach at an inner city school, unless that's the absolute best option travel wise. I wouldn't want more than a half hour - 45 minute commute to work. Can anybody give advice on this?? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Austin is gay friendly, however, it does not have any "gayborhoods" like Houston or Dallas do.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Are you certified to teach in Texas? Although the market for teachers is better than it was two years ago, it is still pretty tight.

Have you visited Austin? Don't make the leap sight unseen.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Are you certified to teach in Texas? It will be hard to find a job unless you are. If you aren't, or don't plan to be, you'll need to look at private schools. Most private schools in Texas are religious based, are you ok with teaching in a non-Jewish school? If not, you can look at the Austin Jewish Academy, Austin Jewish Academy | Inspire a community of students to transform the world .

If you are, or will be certified, and you don't want to teach in an inner city school (frankly, that's where most job openings are, also in charter schools), you'll be teaching in the suburbs, or the outer rim of the central city. Those are tough teaching jobs to come by.

Your sexual orientation is a non issue in Austin.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:05 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Teaching jobs are really competitive in Austin. I lived in Austin for two years and couldn't get one so ended up in San Antonio but still am trying to claw my way back to Austin, but probably not in teaching because UT Austin keeps churning out very competitive grads.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
The state cut over 2 billion dollars out of the public education 2-year budget last year, there is still one year to go on that budget and public schools are struggling.

Around 75% of the schools in Texas are sueing the State over the budget cuts, but we don't know how that is going to turn out yet. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...om-schools.ece

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/12/10/52962.htm

There are however some areas where there are teacher shortages if you have special skills. Teaching in Texas

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-31-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
If you do a thread search you'll see many mentions of it being difficult to land a teaching job in Texas if you're not already here working as one.
Don't know that it's "awesome" for gays here.... probably similar to any other large college town in the US. As someone else said, it's generally a non-issue but there is no established gayborhood or cultural area in Austin like there is in Houston and Dallas (also Houston's mayor is openly gay.)
Have you ever visited Texas?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 10,557 times
Default Looking to move from Raleigh to possibly Austin as a teacher.

Hi there,

I am currently 24 and a high school Science teacher. I have been teaching for 2 years and plan on moving next year. Is now a good time to move to Austin for Science teachers? I know that UT has a lot of graduates but I am not sure if that means I will not be able to get a job. Any thoughts? I am not set on Austin but I am strongly considering it. Thank you!!!!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
We have no teacher shortage, if that is what you mean. The job market for teachers is still competitive. Are you certified to teach in Texas?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 10,557 times
I have a North Carolina license which has a reciprocity agreement with Texas. I will complete more tests if I need to. I have a Biology (B.S.) degree and a Chemistry minor from UNC-Chapel Hill and I completed a Science education program on top of that. I am hoping that since I have a degree in my subject area that schools might be more prone to hiring me? Thank you for the reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin