Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM

238 posts, read 364,976 times

Advertisements

I always recommend Hill Country Running and/or Rogue over Runtex. As others have said, their customer service is condescending and downright bad, and they never seem to be open or have much to sell. With the high sponsorship of community events (ie. Trail of Lights), it's hard to believe it's a legit business anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, despite the Runtex website saying they were open until 4PM today, they were closed when I got there around 2:45PM.

That seems unprofessional, sloppy to me, to have incorrect "New Years Day" hours on the website. While I sat in my truck searching on my phone for alternatives, 3 or 4 other people pulled in and walked up to the door also, then stood there looking confused.

I found Hill Country Running was over at Riverside/Lamar and so I went there. Nice little store and she had plenty of selection for me to try on, watched me walk and run in them, and I ended up with a great pair of Nikes. Some friends of mine walked in while I was there and told me there is a 5K tomorrow morning at auditorium shores, which they were buying new shoes for.

So, I'm glad Runtex was closed early and I discovered HCR, which I will now frequent when needed.

Steve
Steve? New Year's Day is tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Steve? New Year's Day is tomorrow.
Website shows open NYE 10-4

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Website shows open NYE 10-4
Yeah, that's what I meant:

Quote:
Christmas Eve: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Chirstmas Day: Closed
New Year’s Eve: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
New Year’s Day: Closed
Memorial Day and Labor Day: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant:
Christmas Eve: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Chirstmas Day: Closed
New Year’s Eve: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
New Year’s Day: Closed
Memorial Day and Labor Day: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

From the way y'all are describing the business, posting hours for Memorial Day and Labor Day might be a tad optimistic.

Maybe someone at ABJ would have some insight. Anybody got a contact there?

This might offer a glimpse...just don't know where the money is coming from...
Journal Profile: Paul Carrozza - Austin Business Journal

Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I was shocked too when the Lake Austin Blvd Run Tex turned into a pawn shop. I thought for weeks that maybe it was done as a film set. But apparently not. Imagine what the property taxes on that parcel must be! I don't see how a pawn shop moves enough inventory to stay at that location.
I guess being a fence must be lucrative when the crims just drop by on the way out of Tarrytown.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
There shouldn't be a pawn shop anywhere near Tarrytown.

Not quite clear about this whole "Tarrytown shouldn't have a pawn shop" thing. While the televsion is trying to portray the Pawn shops in a good light with shows like "Pawn Stars", people frequent pawn shops when they are desperate for cash, sometimes addicts looking for the next fix, drink, deal, whatever. Or, they lost their job and need money fast. Or, as one poster accurately pointed out, criminals looking to fence their "goods". (forgot about that one) I'm sure my list of who frequents the pawn shops isn't complete but it isn't your "everyday" shopper.

Of course we all know there are no thieves, addicts, alki's, or out-of-work types in the upper class districts. *sarcasm

Also, the comment about Hutto having a demand for two pawn shops...I'm not so sure it's Huttos demand. It would be interesting to see a year or so worth of data to get a picture of what area people are coming from to frequent the shops.

Hmm, maybe there is a study or two already on the Austin area pawn shops?

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 01-01-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Wow, I had been meaning to post the same question about the pawn shop in here as well. Such an odd business for that location. I'm shocked it was approved by the city. What is next, a check cashing place in Magnolia?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I was shocked too when the Lake Austin Blvd Run Tex turned into a pawn shop. I thought for weeks that maybe it was done as a film set. But apparently not. Imagine what the property taxes on that parcel must be! I don't see how a pawn shop moves enough inventory to stay at that location.
We totally thought it was a film set also! My husband and I were picturing some "keeping it weird, pawn shop, hipster" angle.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
From the way y'all are describing the business, posting hours for Memorial Day and Labor Day might be a tad optimistic.

Maybe someone at ABJ would have some insight. Anybody got a contact there?

This might offer a glimpse...just don't know where the money is coming from...
Journal Profile: Paul Carrozza - Austin Business Journal
I guess his focus has shifted away from retail end of things. I love that he supports so many events in town, not to mention providing that water in the trails. Attention is definitely not on the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin