Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,063 times

Advertisements

Back in 2000 I read his book "It's Not About the Bike" and have loosely followed his career. I had so hoped that all the dopping accusations were not true. It is always amazing to me how the addiction to "money" will truly corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,009 times
Looks like he's getting his 2000 Olympic medal taken away now...

I guess coming clean isn't working out for him...

Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Looks like he's getting his 2000 Olympic medal taken away now...

I guess coming clean isn't working out for him...
Not related to the interview in the least, the decision was made weeks ago and timing is a coincidence.

Anyway, whether the "admission" works out or not wont be determined in the next day or two but over the course of months or years.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM

Something nice about Lance Armstrong

Holm: Armstrong dying by his sword, but helped during cancer fight

Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,440 times
Interesting reading a first-hand point of view. Sad too.

Lance Armstrong's history of lying - ESPN

Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Interesting reading a first-hand point of view. Sad too.

Lance Armstrong's history of lying - ESPN
Good writeup. I feel for the writer.

It's starting to look like Lance went 'all in', past the point of no return, in an attempt to have it all. I wonder, after which TDF title did he first think "I can't keep doing this", if he ever thought that, but then decided, "no, I'm in way to deep, I have to stick with the story all the way, no matter what". I wonder if he actually started to believe himself at some point.

If this "reveal" is headed where it seems to be, it's one of the most colossal, lengthy, ongoing and elaborate cover-ups of modern sports times. I'm sure there are bigger ones never unearthed or known (in government and politics especially), but its the forcefulness and level of counter-assault involved with his denials that I think make the presumed forthcoming admission so astounding.

That said, let's see how this goes.

Steve

Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

It's starting to look like Lance went 'all in', past the point of no return, in an attempt to have it all. I wonder, after which TDF title did he first think "I can't keep doing this", if he ever thought that, but then decided, "no, I'm in way to deep, I have to stick with the story all the way, no matter what". I wonder if he actually started to believe himself at some point.
I'm guessing it wasn't a matter of believing his own lies - but more it was a matter of believing that it was permitted non-permissible behavior. In other words, yeah, it was a technical violation - but only if you got caught, and if you don't get caught then everyone breathes a sigh of relief and moves on with life.

And if he hadn't been a 7 time TdF winner, that might have been true. As it turns out he was the sports story of the century and there was going to be too much light for people to let it go. Add onto that some rather abysmal personal behavior in keeping the secret and there was way way too much fuel for a spark not to catch one time.

If he had kept a lower profile, quit after 5 TdF (hell, if he had not raced again a few years later) then its entirely feasible that all the evasions would have been perfectly successful.

I also don't discount an accident of history here. Betsy Andreu was pit bull when so many other people would have ****. Earning the enmity of Greg LeMond was also bad news. Also, Floyd Landis turned out to not be another Tyler Hamilton and was equally determined. Then there was that whole weird investigation into doping in California that just happened to help connect the dots back to Lance Armstrong.

In short, I think it was a combination of exposure he brought on himself by being such a great story, his particular personality and some weird particular personalities outside of his control that ultimately brought him down. He very well could have avoided the whole fiasco if the cards hadn't fallen just so.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
He didn't have any made-up girlfriends during all this, did he? THAT would have been an interesting twist.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations that also runs out today on a possible federal case? Will be interesting to see if he makes it by that one... if so, he should thank imaginary girlfriends, Boeing 787s, and executive orders.

I must admit that I'm now leaning toward watching the interview tonight. If it was going to be a tear-fest geared towards the ladies, as I originally expected, I would have no interest... but it seems like there *might* be lots of specifics. Not in his confession, but in who and what he might implicate or reveal. CNBC should run it with a real-time "net worth" value that will go up and down depending on his answers...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Isn't there some sort of statute of limitations that also runs out today on a possible federal case? Will be interesting to see if he makes it by that one... if so, he should thank imaginary girlfriends, Boeing 787s, and executive orders.

I must admit that I'm now leaning toward watching the interview tonight. If it was going to be a tear-fest geared towards the ladies, as I originally expected, I would have no interest... but it seems like there *might* be lots of specifics. Not in his confession, but in who and what he might implicate or reveal. CNBC should run it with a real-time "net worth" value that will go up and down depending on his answers...
Maybe SportsCenter will have the CliffsNotes version. Kinda like watching the Australian Open Tennis highlights instead of dozing through the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: