Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM

11 posts, read 23,793 times

Advertisements

This thread is interesting to me. I have been toying with the idea of relocating to Austin. I'm a software engineer with 20 years experience working in Mass. While there are some newer subdivisions in the areas around me in Northern Mass, Southern NH, that have the density of those in the Austin area, I think they are still not the norm. Here 1-5 acre lots seem to be the norm for new subdivisions. Granted, these are all in more rural areas. Frankly, it is because of the dearth of larger lot subdivisions in the Austin area that makes me reconsider locating there. I actually find it funny that in the largest state in the country anyone would have to live on a postage stamp lot. I know some people, well, really I guess most people in Texas seem to like living in a big house on a small lot, but I don't think I could ever join them. Looking at them on Google Earth, it doesn't seem like you could fart in your own backyard without at least three neighbors scolding you.

Is there such thing as a 3 acre subdivision in the Austin area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC70 View Post
This thread is interesting to me. I have been toying with the idea of relocating to Austin. I'm a software engineer with 20 years experience working in Mass. While there are some newer subdivisions in the areas around me in Northern Mass, Southern NH, that have the density of those in the Austin area, I think they are still not the norm. Here 1-5 acre lots seem to be the norm for new subdivisions. Granted, these are all in more rural areas. Frankly, it is because of the dearth of larger lot subdivisions in the Austin area that makes me reconsider locating there. I actually find it funny that in the largest state in the country anyone would have to live on a postage stamp lot. I know some people, well, really I guess most people in Texas seem to like living in a big house on a small lot, but I don't think I could ever join them. Looking at them on Google Earth, it doesn't seem like you could fart in your own backyard without at least three neighbors scolding you.

Not really.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,023 times
Quote:

I know someone who lives in the part of New England where the towns specify 2 acre minimums....

Austin is not like that, at all. It is a bit strange. It is extremely rare to even find 1/2 acre lots within city limits... people who want land move outside the city and commute. Depending on where you're commuting to this could be tolerable or.... not.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM

251 posts, read 398,219 times
Quote:

Belvedere and Madrone Ranch on Hamilton Pool Rd. are a couple off the top of my head. But typically you don't see 1 to 5 acre subdivisions around here like you do in Boston. For those wanting more space, around here we have these things called ranches.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:

In the Austin area? Absolutely. In Austin proper? I don't believe so, though here and there throughout the city in the oddest places you can find a house (never EVER for sale) on a multi-acre size lot that's been there for decades.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM

163 posts, read 408,514 times
Austin (and every other metropolitan area in Texas I can think of) built fast, cheap, and with no public transportation plan. My guess is it's due to the boom/bust cycles here and the fact that alot of this building has occurred in the age of cheap credit. Of course, for enough time and money or if you are willing to live far enough out you can get anything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin