Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Austin-Steve, or other agents, can you verify?
Oh, also most likely this is on inventory homes that are stocked full of upgrades so the builder doesn't lose much money in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:27 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,086,163 times
Taylor Woodrow is currently offering $20,000 off all new homes that can apply to upgrades or reducing the purchase price.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 PM

238 posts, read 763,192 times
Homes sales in Austin fell in June, July, and August, the last month for which figures are available.

And that's year-over-year, not month-over-month. So it takes into account seasonal changes.

You can see the figures here: Real Estate Center.

The months' inventory has also increased, from 3.1 in January, to 4.5 as of August, almost a fifty percent increase.

And MacFanatic is right about median price: it's the lower end homes that have been hurt the most, meaning that prices are going down, even though the median's going up. If you follow the listings, you see houses dropping in price over and over again, but still not selling.

I don't expect Austin to get as bad as California or Florida, but I do expect sold home prices to fall, and for inventory to continue to grow.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 PM

118 posts, read 296,184 times
Just wait till all the foreclosures start to hit!!! I predict it will be even worse than anyone realizes in the next 12-14 months...Check out the MLS, many of the pics in the listings show vacant homes with little of no furniture in them, far beyond being "staged" for a quick sale...How many people can afford to pay 2 mortgages, my bet, not many. There is a GLUT of homes on the market and a Glut of real estate agents out there. Almost 2 homes per agent in Austin , according to the article in the Statesman on the weekend of Oct 7th. Seems like a buyers market is here and will continue for some time to come...IMHO

Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
resales can be desperate as well--people are doing things like paying closing costs or offering discounts for things like new carpet which they did not do to start with...
some are even doing things like helping pay moving costs...depends on the market and how desparate the sellers are...
my daughter is in condo south of sarasota fl--MANY condos on market--theirs is 1/1--real strike against it--they have painted in some brighter colors--when they asked the realtor if they needed to paint in neutrals she told them if it was make/break on deal SHE would offer to have the condo painted out of her commission--

Old 10-19-2007, 11:51 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post
Just wait till all the foreclosures start to hit!!! I predict it will be even worse than anyone realizes in the next 12-14 months...Check out the MLS, many of the pics in the listings show vacant homes with little of no furniture in them, far beyond being "staged" for a quick sale...How many people can afford to pay 2 mortgages, my bet, not many. There is a GLUT of homes on the market and a Glut of real estate agents out there. Almost 2 homes per agent in Austin , according to the article in the Statesman on the weekend of Oct 7th. Seems like a buyers market is here and will continue for some time to come...IMHO
This is one person's opinion. Still not a buyer's market. It's somewhere in between but again don't look for deals, not going to happen in homes over 250K, prices will still rise. Our economy is great in Austin, tons of jobs, etc. The Statesman predicted home prices to rise.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM

58 posts, read 180,477 times
Two houses on a certain street in south austin sold within a month...145000-149000. Guess it depends on the price you're looking for. This is an older area, but they sold for what they asked & fast. I drive this street every day & watched them in the MLS.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM

149 posts, read 498,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookingToo View Post
I recently looked at new construction from Dripping Springs to Round Rock and the builders I saw, were offering $20,000 to nearly $100,000 of their "list price" and many with big realtor incentives.
Not Standard Pacific in Cedar Park. No incentives or discounts yet

Old 10-19-2007, 02:32 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,804 times
I live in Phoenix and ask a realtor in Austin about a home listed on MLS in cedar park 269.000 home. He called me with the answer and we got to talking, he said the Austin market has taken a dive (his words). I had said we were hit hard here in Phoenix and that's when he said it has followed them there too. Whey would he say this to me and some of you are saying it isn't so, aren't you all in the same business? don't you all get the same info.

Debbie

Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM

149 posts, read 498,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
he said the Austin market has taken a dive (his words).
That is true. Prices went down in Cedar Park. Inventory is record high. But I was reffering to one particular builder who is not willing to give any incentives or discounts at all at this moment. At the same time there're couple resale houses in that area from that builder right now. Owners bought those houses at the end of 2006 and getting a hit of 10-15K compare to what they paid. There're also couple foreclosures in Twin Creeks neighborhood which would've been unheard of in 2006-beginning of 07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin