Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,499 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I ran a search but most of what I've found is quite dated, I hope this thread provides new information for those seeking.
I've been hired for a job with GM in their new Austin location, which has inherited the old Dell building on Parmer. I graduate with my Master's in May and have a month to relocate before starting. I plan to visit during my Spring Break in March to finalize my decision.
Just by doing an internet search, the area comes up with properties such as the Marquis, Arium and Archstone. From what I can tell, most of these are newly built and have only had 2-3 tenants so far.

Ideally, I'd like something close to work to avoid having to deal with traffic and to save as much gas as possible. I've been in Lubbock for the past 5 years and live walking distance from everything I need, including work. While it's a lot colder up here, it's been convenient.

Does anyone have any experience with this area? Are these new complexes built pretty well or can you hear your neighbors stomp around? I love Austin for it's outdoor scene and would appreciate living close to running trails. I'm 23 years old and if I like the job after the first year, will look into buying a home in the surrounding area. It's too soon to commit right now so I'm taking the apartment route.

Any advice from some Austinites would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I'm not intimately familiar with that area but it should be a decent place to live and walk to most of what you need. It is a low crime area, however Rundberg Lane 4 miles to the south is one of the highest crime areas in Austin. There is a large HEB Grocery store at Parmer and IH-35. Walnut Creek Park, which has lots of hike and bike trails is just West of IH-35 & Techridge. Golds Gym near by also has running trail outdoors next to it. If you get a corner apartment on the top floor you will generally have less noise then other apartments.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
The area is very convenient to a lot of big box stores and mostly chain type restaurants. It's got both a Gold's Gym & 24 Hour Fitness that are only a few years old. It's also close to lots of great asian restaurants that are near the Chinatown center on North Lamar. One of the best Chinese restaurants, Ho Ho, is at Parmer/I-35 in front of the Wal-mart.

Unfortunately, it isn't all that exciting in Techridge and a bit far from the fun and "cool" parts of Austin, but it is actually a fairly quick drive down 35 to get downtown.

I would suspect most of the newer complexes they've thrown up in the area in the past few years aren't built to the greatest standards if you are looking for peace and quiet. If you don't want to hear you neighbors, I'd look into trying to rent a condo or garden home. There is a nice complex of townhome type condos right near Dell off Parmer on the East side of 35 and a brand new one on the West side of 35 right past Lamar.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Those Tech Ridge apartments are really awful. They look great, nice floorplan, cheap, and Oh wow, can you hear everything your neighbors are up to...

Nothing in that area is going to be too bad of a drive. How much were you looking to spend? We might be able to direct you to a better option. Personally, I'd go up Parmer to McNeil - might be a 10-15 minute drive to work in the morning, but you at least have a couple places you can walk to to grab a drink, etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM

181 posts, read 429,324 times
If you are going to rent an apartment built in recent years go to the top floor. Believe me I know you don't want anyone above you. That's why I am looking for a condo.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,499 times
Great feedback guys. I appreciate all of your time and input.

I think I'm aiming for the mid $900s / month for 1br/ba. Think it'd be asking too much for covered parking at that rate too?
EzPeterson, would the McNeil commute be a highway commute or local roads? I get decent highway mileage, but I've got a G35 which gets about 16-17mpg city. Currently I balance this out by using my car only when necessary and a tank lasts me over a month.

AustinGuy, great information. I'll bring up the idea of condos with whoever my realtor turns out to be. I'd enjoy spoiling myself with some newly built ones if the price is right.

PittsburghAustin and anyone that can chime in -- are there any condos that are for sale instead of rent? I'd much rather have these high monthly payments go towards owning a property, however I know then I've gotta factor in the cost of insurance and maintenance. Stuff I've still got to look into!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM

181 posts, read 429,324 times
I live north of the area you are looking at, so do not know the condo situation where you are looking. There is a real shortage of condos as you get farther out from the city. Mostly families in the burbs.I pay $880 for a one bedroom with a garage, but think it would be more as you get closer to downtown.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 AM

37 posts, read 82,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravitek View Post
Great feedback guys. I appreciate all of your time and input.

I think I'm aiming for the mid $900s / month for 1br/ba. Think it'd be asking too much for covered parking at that rate too?
EzPeterson, would the McNeil commute be a highway commute or local roads? I get decent highway mileage, but I've got a G35 which gets about 16-17mpg city. Currently I balance this out by using my car only when necessary and a tank lasts me over a month.

AustinGuy, great information. I'll bring up the idea of condos with whoever my realtor turns out to be. I'd enjoy spoiling myself with some newly built ones if the price is right.

PittsburghAustin and anyone that can chime in -- are there any condos that are for sale instead of rent? I'd much rather have these high monthly payments go towards owning a property, however I know then I've gotta factor in the cost of insurance and maintenance. Stuff I've still got to look into!

Thanks again everyone!
If you are open to renting a house you may want to look in the Crestview/Brentwood area though a 1br rental will be hard to find. I would also look at the Riata apartments - off of 183 but the commute to GM via Parmer would not be bad at all... it would be a West to East commute.... lots of young people and recent grads there.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 6,355 times
It's also close to lots of great asian restaurants that are near the Chinatown center on North Lamar. http://www.sdra.info/a16.jpg

Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Walnut Creek is a great park, but I'm not sure if there are any apartments really close. There is also a hike and bike trail in Wells Branch. I remembered because I used to have a friend that played disc golf over there. I'm not sure if it's a public park or a private park, but there are also a lot of apartments over there. It's another place to look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin