Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM

326 posts, read 685,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
Given that all traffic in Austin is bad and only getting worse (BTW I drive Bee Cave rd every day and getting from one end of Bee Cave to the other is easily 30 mins at 8 AM) you want to live close to work. What takes 40 mins now might take 50 next year and 1 hr the year after. About schools, having researched schools over the past 4 years, I can honestly say there is no comparison between Eanes and LTISD. LTHS is not exemplary. On the other hand, Westlake HS is ranked nationally. Even Cedar park HS is ranked higher than LTHS. This is my opinion but if schools and proximity are the criterion, Westlake is the way to go.
Haha!! This was a really funny post! Thanks for the good laugh!

In all seriousness, you really couldn't be more wrong. What kind of research are you doing? LTHS is Exemplary (you would know that if you knew how to do correct research). Also, Cedar Park HS is not anywhere near the caliber of LT. But really...this was the good laugh that I needed! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Spanish Oaks, from the East end exit/entrance, is right down the street from Southwest Parkway which would take you to Mopac which takes you straight down town. 15 minutes, tops. That's not "far" out. Now, if you're further to the West exit/entrance, that's getting a little further out and more like 20-25 minutes because now you've got several lights and traffic to get past.

I live a little further past the West exit/entrance, in Falconhead West, and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to downtown on most days, but I don't go at peak hours. Avoiding Bee Caves Rd and going down Southwest Parkway is an easy commute from Spanish Oaks.
"15 minutes tops" is a huge exageration. Google maps puts Spanish Oaks to downtown 78701 at 17 miles and 28 minutes, it can easily be double that and more during rush hour. I have lived closer in, Oak Hill, since 1981, the rush hour commute was often 45 minutes, worse on some days.

That said, I think Spanish Oaks is a great location, the advantages will out weight the disadvantages in many regards if you don't need to be downtown often.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM

307 posts, read 721,722 times
So using this logic, if everyone just stays in the outer (right) most turn lane as they go under Mopac and turn onto Southwest Parkway, then merge back into the entrance lane, they will somehow beat the traffic. Awesome advice!!! Maybe you are one of the people who just races all the way down the frontage road on the right hand side (that isn't even a lane) and then just cut in front of everyone and merge in front of everyone (further exacerbating the problem and screwing everyone else).

Also, using this logic, people "like" to sit in traffic (because they use the inner (left) most turn lane).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
As for the light at Mopac and Southwest Parkway, the main issue people have is that all like to be in the left lane. There are TWO turn lanes. When you drive in the right-left lane, there aren't issues of being at the light for 15 minutes. There are two lanes for a reason, and it's to get traffic through the light.

Last edited by bpvarian; 01-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: puncutation

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM

307 posts, read 721,722 times
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
"15 minutes tops" is a huge exageration. Google maps puts Spanish Oaks to downtown 78701 at 17 miles and 28 minutes, it can easily be double that and more during rush hour.

That said, I think Spanish Oaks is a great location, the advantages will out weight the disadvantages in many regards if you don't need to be downtown often.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM

155 posts, read 211,542 times
LakeTravisAlum: Sorry you felt slighted. But here is a good place to start.
Search Texas High Schools | US News

Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I've done my research. The site you gave me is using data that is several years old. You might want to check the TEA website again before you go spouting off that LTHS isn't Exemplary and how much better Cedar Park is.

Texas Education Agency - Welcome

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the old "Exemplary" rating - it is a propritary forumla that US News uses that may or may not be entirely accurate. It also doesn't take into account the fact that the top 50% of students in both schools are relatively identical.

Either way, an "Exemplary" school isn't going to salvage your student if they don't have support at home - they're not a substitute for good parenting - nor are they going to magically improve your marginal student.

These ratings and rankings are a total crock. Good students will succeed in any environment, with the right support at home.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM

155 posts, read 211,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
I've done my research. The site you gave me is using data that is several years old. You might want to check the TEA website again before you go spouting off that LTHS isn't Exemplary and how much better Cedar Park is.

Texas Education Agency - Welcome
This site has the latest data(2012) whereas TEA doesn't even list data for 2012.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
I agree, it will take way more than 15 minutes... more like 30-45 door to door (sometimes longer). I've done the downtown to midtown on the 6 or 4/5 and while it did really suck, you'll get tired of sitting in a car at some point too. I love Spanish Oaks but you owe it to yourself to check out Rollingwood, which is also fabulous btw, and other areas in Eanes before making any decisions.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
This site has the latest data(2012) whereas TEA doesn't even list data for 2012.
You're still missing the point that LT is, in fact, Exemplary - one of only two or three schools in the area to achieve that status. Also, there is no data from 2012 on TEA because the state switched to the STAAR test. Therefore, the ratings from 2011 carry over.

The site you gave may be the latest list, but it doesn't have stats that are up to date. For example, LTHS doesn't have 1,955 students anymore - it's more like 2300. People that have lived in the Austin area for a long time and know most of the area schools can see past the mumbo jumbo ratings that US News and others like to spew out.

If LTISD isn't a desirable school district, then why have I continued to meet families that moved in from Southlake Carroll, Highland Park, and yes, even Eanes? Surely parents from those school districts would never even consider putting their kids through LTISD schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin