Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times

Advertisements

Rollingwood has location, location, location! Not to mention Eanes schools. Remember, only land appreciates, houses depreciate. Without question, land in Rollingwood will continue to appreciate far far into the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFidje View Post
Curious why you think appreciation will be better in Rollingwood? I guess I was thinking once Spanish Oaks is built out, assuming the population keeps increasing, moving west and people want new-ish product, that has more upside. That was a factor in me leaning that way. Based on listings right now, I think there is a nice house in Rollingwood listed at $1.8m (ouch for <0.5 acres and a view of 360) compared to more like $1.2 for fairly new in SO. Things are priced that way for a reason, and I guess the proximity to town is the reason.
For a whole slew of reasons development in Rollingwood has far more upside to it that Spanish Oaks.

For one, for years any house entering the market will have to compete with the builder and builder incentives - that's hard to do.

For another, Spanish Oaks will never be closer to the city than it is now. In fact, as more and more development occurs, the commute will go from already bad to really terrible. This will conversely increase the desirability of places like Rollingwood which offer short commutes.

Finally, it's not just new development within Spanish Oaks, in developments like that so far out, there is always new land available and new projects being developed just down the road. That will keep a lid on appreciation as well.

Of course, if Austin continues its boom - everyone prospers. But some will prosper more than others. In this particular instance, Rollingwood - already a highly desirable community - really is well positioned for future improvement.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Rollingwood is a neighborhood of relatively large lots right next to downtown. The school district is the best in the area as well. Pretty much a win, win.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
There are a lot of lots still available in Spanish Oaks. Great neighborhood that we almost bought in, but it will take years to sell that many high end homes. If you decide to sell anytime soon, you'll be competing with builders who can give the buyer exactly what he wants.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Spanish Oaks has had a myriad of problems.....lots of which was due to the economic downturn..........don't know when all will be resolved. I felt when I looked there that I was a long ways away from Austin. However, things are building up and growing around there which is good.

For me personally, I would not choose to live there. I like being a little closer in, and would go with Eanes for the school district.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFidje View Post
My husband and I are moving to Austin this year with our twins, who are currently 3 1/2 years old. We originally wanted to be in Westlake for the proximity to Austin and the Eanes school district. We bought a plot of land in Westlake in 2011 when this was a far out plan but since the timing of our move got accelerated we now feel like we should buy a house first rather than manage construction remotely, and re-evaluate once we are living in the area. Our budget is $1-2mm, give or take. I grew up on the beach in NC where we did not even have roads (it was so rural) and for the past 12 years have lived in Manhattan. So I can do urban and rural but have never experienced suburbia and it scares me...yet I feel like it's probably the right thing for my kids at this stage. I want us to have an active lifestyle, be near a good school and be able to make some friends nearby. Of the "master planned" communities (something I never thought I would consider), I think I like Spanish Oaks the best. I like the layout of the neighborhood and the shopping nearby, plus the amenities and potential to make friends in a new community where most people are also new. I'm nervous that it's too far out being on the other side of 71, both from the sense of getting into downtown, and I suppose also from an investment perspective. At least one of my husband or I will be commuting to Austin. But with all the growth in the area maybe it's not considered far out anymore? We are looking for a 4BR home, 4000-5000 ft, on at least a half acre, and preferably 1+ acre with an open view. Non-starters would be huge power lines in the backyard (like in some parts of Westlake) and Tuscan McMansions that look very 2006. We like the look of the modern versions of Texas hill country homes and would be willing to renovate an older home that has good bones. Curious to hear from locals if they would recommend Spanish Oaks or if we should up our budget a bit to get something in Westlake or Rollingwood in a more established neighborhood closer in to the city? Thanks so much.
Spanish Oaks and Rollingwood are hard to compare IMO; one is in the city and the other is much further out in Bee Cave. Some people want to be in the city, and others further out in a more "country" setting (though Spanish Oaks does have lots of amenities nearby with the Hill Country Galleria.) if you have to commute into Austin on a daily basis though, you'll be dealing with a long commute/traffic. Just depends on your needs, really.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Just a data point. I drove from the Austin airport last night - from SH71 at the airport 7:27 p.m. I passed through the intersection of SH71 and Spanish Oaks Club Blvd. at 7:48 p.m..

Light traffic of course, but I think a 21 minute drive from the airport is damned reasonable. This direction is faster than the opposite.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I did the drive this morning at 8:30 as I had to meet a client downtown. From the East Entrance to Spanish Oaks to the exit for Caesar/5th, it was 15 minutes and 20 seconds. No joke!!

I spent 53 seconds at the light on 71 to turn at Southwest Parkway as there was a line of about 20 cars.
I spent 7 seconds at another light. All other lights were green. The light at Mopac was green with no backup and I went straight through it.

My speed, going with the speed of traffic, was 60-65 MPH (yes, I know posted is 55 MPH, but I was going with the traffic). On Mopac, there was a small section where it was slower, it's less than 4 miles to the exit. I got in the left lane that was cruising at 65 MPH (the posted speed limit), and once I hit the mile mark, per my GPS, I made my way back to the right lane, which was moving fine, just slightly slower than the left lane.

Once I exited, my destination was 6th and Guadalupe, and that took 12 minutes from turning right onto 5th.

Case and point that you can make it from the Bee Cave area to Downtown in under 20 minutes. To get to the door of where you're going will be more time, but not 45-50 minutes like others have suggested.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM

9 posts, read 15,651 times
Default Eanes/Rollingwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
That's a real travel time at 3AM in a Ferrari.

At a rush hour travel - triple that (and it will only get worse every year).

If it were me I'd be in Rollingwood in a heartbeat. You'll be in the best school district in Austin in a beautiful neighborhood very close in with tremendous amenities at your doorstep. And you have the scratch to get a very nice place - it's not like you'll be compromising.

However, they are building a covert dealership on 71, if that short of thing interests you.
I agree with Komeht. Eanes/Rollingwood has lots to offer and you can get a nice place for 900K while being in the best school district in the area. They are scraping the old places in that area and putting in some beautiful homes although there are older homes as well that are just fine. If you want to buy there and sell your lot, I'll bet you'll have no problem selling it. Like Falconhead said, Austin is smokin"! Good luck.

Last edited by TXmagCA; 02-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
Rollingwood compared to Spanish Oaks...not even comparable. Apples to oranges. I think Spanish Oaks would be a great move. I have lived in Bee Cave for a little over a year now, moving from Round Rock, Tx, big move. Ha! But it was, I went from living in a 4500 sq ft home in a nice neighborhood and big back yard to a 3500 sq ft home with no backyard because it completely drops off 5 ft out from our back patio. Not a problem! I love our unobstructed view of the hills! We use our front yard for throwing the ball, putting golf balls, and hey we get to be social with the neighbors. We have great neighbors. Thank you very much. Living in the Bee Cave area is like a vacation spot! Couldn't believe I had lived in Austin for over 10 years and never came further down 620 than to go to the Oasis. Westlake is pretty but in Bee Cave, your views far exceed any view you woud have in Westlake. Community is top notch. Schools are exemplary, and you have great options for Mothers day out programs and Montessori schools, to private just a short distance away. Recreation is plentiful out this way as well, Hamilton Pool, Pace Bend Park, Narrows Recreation Park, Lake Travis, not to mention a few winery's along the way. We have the Backyard if you want to catch a concert locally. It's a totally different lifestyle than what you will find in Westlake, Rolling Wood, what ever that has you in that area of Austin. My husband commutes to the the 71/I 35 everyday and it takes him less than a half hour to get to work and home. I absolutely adore this community and have had the best experience raising my 5 year old here. If you absolutely love the city life and need to be 10 minutes away from getting to the downtown experience then yes move to Westlake. But if you want to slow down and enjoy life move out to Spanish Oaks. If being 20 to 30 minutes from downtown is an issue you could check the neighborhoods on 2244. Bartoncreek is comparable to Spanish Oaks, though community interaction may be slightly different. My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin