U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am about to finalize my home on buttercup creek blvd and lakeline mall blvd. I loved the community its quite , green, Lakeline mall , Walgreen, HEB are also nearbyand all the good restaurants it looks to be a good place.

Its a new home construction and my first home.

My major concern is, from the proposed plan its back seems to be facing the Lakeline mall blvd. I was worried about the noise due to road traffic. Can anyone comment how noisy can that area be and is it good location to buy ?

Also how is the resale value in cedar park in general. Will this kind of home carry good value in future.

Its not that price in this area is less but they are still less than rest of the places I visited without going too far from Austin

Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 PM

8,124 posts, read 13,494,481 times
Pretty sure you mean Lakeline Blvd(not Lakeline Mall Dr.)...two different and confusing roads 'til you've been around the block a couple of times(literally) .

From what I've seen, the area slowed construction after '08(a good thing); but has been 'back at it' in the past year or so. There's still a fair amount of room for new construction, so I wouldn't expect appreciation for quite some time(but I don't see any reason for a downturn, either).

That stretch of Lakeline Blvd is newly 45mph, I believe; so there's some slightly speedy commuter traffic along there. Seems like there's a fair amount of paver road surface, so the noise would be exacerbated a bit by that. Nothing horrible, I don't think. The closer to the traffic light you are, the more you'll hear the acceleration and braking of vehicles; but the trees lining the road might help a bit to ameliorate the traffic noise.

If that northeast corner is a 'preserve', that's pretty nice. The pool and 'park' on the southwest corner make for a nice amenity, I reckon.

Depending on the time and direction of your commute, you may join a bazillion others heading toward 183 each morning.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 AM

59 posts, read 131,022 times
We were looking at purchasing there. The biggest concern with that area would be, how close are you to the active rock quarry; It is north of buttercup on lakeline blvd. From what I understand the quarry operates on a year to year lease and can end operations anytime or continue on for sometime. The City of Cedar Park has said they would like to convert the quarry into a city park. Just be aware of that, otherwise Lakeline Blvd is only busy during morning/afternoon rush hour and even then it's not so bad.

In the end we didn't want to be so close to the quarry, so we passed on the area.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 AM

2,624 posts, read 5,601,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_simon View Post

My major concern is, from the proposed plan its back seems to be facing the Lakeline mall blvd. I was worried about the noise due to road traffic. Can anyone comment how noisy can that area be and is it good location to buy ?

Also how is the resale value in cedar park in general. Will this kind of home carry good value in future.
Are you stating that the back of the neihborhood is facing Lakeline Blvd or that your actual back-yard will back up to Lakeline Blvd? That makes a big difference. Homes in my neighborhood that back right up to a very busy street are harder to sell than the rest of the neighborhood and typically have about a 5% lower listing price. So, I wouldn't worry about the neighborhood backing up to the street, but I would also make sure that my home was not one that directly backs up to it.

Resale value in Cedar Park will be very steady (it could be worth exactly the same in 10 years), but realize that with a brand new home, you'll immediately see it valued lower than what you paid for it in most cases compared to resale homes for the first couple years. Trying to sell a home that you built new in Cedar Park within the next 5 years will probably result in a loss (when you factor in realtor fees) due to all the building that is happening nearby. With that said, you're purchasing in an area that is very safe, feeds into good schools, has great parks nearby with family activities (ie. Elizabeth Milburn Park), and is in general a great place to raise a family. I wouldn't build there as an investment, but I would build there to raise a family.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rock quary unless your house is right on the border of it. We live fairly close to one on the other side of town and barely notice that it's there. But, again, if it's making people choose to live elsewhere like the other poster, then it's worth taking note of for resale.

Last edited by mark311; 01-29-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM

16,721 posts, read 40,889,598 times
Go stand in the yard during rush hour and see for yourself how noisy it is.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM

We dog-visit at a house on Nelson Ranch Loop...much closer to the quarry. Between the quarry work and the new home construction, it's pretty noisy there. You are a fair bit farther away and have trees and homes to mitigate the noise from the quarry. You'll likely hear it more when we have a north wind(like this afternoon). Most days, the noise(and dust) will move away from your location. Of course, none of this addresses road noise; but there are thousands of homes built along 4-lane roads like Lakeline Blvd. Avery Ranch has about 4 miles of them!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,005 times
Hi

Thanks for the reply, its not the neighborhood its the actual house itself whose back-yard would back up to the Lakeline Blvd. Quarry is still far, so I am not worried about it too much. Its the road noise itself which is bothering me.

I found buttercup creek a great area, as someone mentioned I would just stand in one of the yard and observe how bad the noise is.

New home prices in rest of the places in Austin like Avery Ranch, Brushy creek are very high. While the price for these homes was falling in my budget and so it sounds very compelling.

But again, there are so many homes on the lakeline blvd or similar busy street. Not sure what they feel about it.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,014,069 times
I live in the Buttercup Creek area, and there is no way I would buy backing up to Lakeline. It would be loud and not enjoyable to entertain in the backyard. I am always amazed that people would buy there, regardless if the price was right. Hanging outside in the back enjoying the weather, having bbq's, playing with the daughter is such a big part of our life, it would be a drag to hear loud traffic.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM

7,187 posts, read 17,735,078 times
Quote:
New home prices in rest of the places in Austin like Avery Ranch, Brushy creek are very high. While the price for these homes was falling in my budget and so it sounds very compelling.
Location Location Location?? Heard of it? There's a reason why houses backing to main streets sell for less. Because it's going to sell for less when you sell it also.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, its not the neighborhood its the actual house itself whose back-yard would back up to the Lakeline Blvd. Quarry is still far, so I am not worried about it too much. Its the road noise itself which is bothering me.

I found buttercup creek a great area, as someone mentioned I would just stand in one of the yard and observe how bad the noise is.

But again, there are so many homes on the lakeline blvd or similar busy street. Not sure what they feel about it.
That will give you an idea; but the road noise when you are trying to sleep will be of paramount concern, I would imagine. If the master is located on the back facing the street, that would be of more concern than if the common areas are there. If there is to be a nursery in the future, you wouldn't want it to be directly affected by the outside noise, either. To me, the tire contact with the pavement isn't the worst traffic noise, as it would be somewhat consistent(unless you are near the cobblestone/pavers, manhole covers, expansion joints,etc); but vehicles accelerating from the intersection could be disturbing. Serious sound attenuation materials on the back of the house could help, it it's not too late to choose windows, window coverings, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or