Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 15,458 times

Advertisements

We just moved and have a garage full of boxes. Where we came from you could just put the boxes out, as many as you needed to. I was told we can't do that here? We have to break them down, and bundle them into certain sizes? The boxes are full of the packing paper. Is this true? How does it work?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM

38 posts, read 152,648 times
hi... we too moved into a cedar park community recently. Had so many moving boxes, i made all the boxes flat, put all the packing paper in one box and put it outside when the garbage collection comes in

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM

163 posts, read 408,814 times
You can sell them at ecobox so that they can be reused instead of landfill.
Dunno about Cedar Park, but in City of Austin you can put as much fits in your recycle bin at a time until they're gone.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
If you have a neighborhood or complex message board, just post what you have and offer them to a neighbor. I know the Avery Ranch Yahoo board moves boxes around frequently.

Otherwise, yes, the boxes need to be flattened(and usually 2' x 2' or smaller) for recycling unless you find a dumpster for such.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
I don't know about the rules in Cedar Park, but I've always had great luck here in Austin posting on the "Free" section of Craiglsit that I have boxes and packing materials to give away. If you can't get CP to pick them up, that might be another option.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM

327 posts, read 774,620 times
IMO ecobox is a waste of time. My wife took all of our moving boxes there when we came here (enough for a 3,000 sq. ft 4 bedroom home) and they gave her $8 for the boxes. You can go to a recycling center or Goodwill will take your boxes and recycle them for you. You'll probably still need to break them down though.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM

318 posts, read 670,369 times
Boxes filled with packing paper (recyclable) can be put out with regular recycling intact. The empty boxes must be broken down. Truly, though, you should have no issue getting rid of the boxes by posting them somewhere. People are always wanting moving boxes.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
City of Cedar Park : Solid Waste Services

Quote:
Bulky Collection
Weekly

Same as former service. Residents may set up to 7 items outside of their cart on a weekly basis. "Bulky items" includes bags and/or large items such as brush, appliances*, etc.

*An additional handling charge of $25 will be added for pickup of any appliance containing CFC's, such as refrigerators, freezers, or air conditioning units.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
AND...it never hurts to have a large box or two flattened and tucked away in the garage for all sorts of projects...painting in particular. I've got a couple of very large boxes that can quickly be set up as a makeshift paint 'booth' or used as a backdrop for other messy projects. Then refold, re-tuck and Bob's your uncle!

If the SuperBowl is boring, spend a few minutes un-crumpling some of the packing paper and tuck it away with the above-mentioned boxes. Same use as a 'dropcloth' for small projects or just re-crumple for shipping/packing(better than those pesky foam nuggets ).

Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
It really depends on where you live in Cedar Park...

If you're in the city proper and using their services, then CptnRn's link has the best info (and it looks like you can put cardboard in with the recycling).

If you're in a MUD and using their services, then you'll need to find out their rules. My MUD doesn't recycle cardboard, but will pick up bulky trash on a weekly basis. I just ditched a bunch of nasty cardboard boxes from my own garage this week as a matter of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin