U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 AM

120 posts, read 685,435 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to function normally for the past one month. I tried Allegra- It doesn't work for me. Zyrtec does but I am sleepy all day. In either case (with or without medication), I barely sleep a couple of hours each night.

This is my second year with allergies and I would appreciate tips from seasoned Austin allergy sufferers. What do you all do to battle the insomnia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM

2,857 posts, read 4,695,251 times
I take a sleep aid as needed. Most of the time I require anti-congestion medication at night and a nasal strip because of my allergies so I get the nighttime version as regular decongestants keep you up (speed). There's always Ambian but I haven't needed it yet.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM

7,876 posts, read 12,889,472 times
Important to keep the humidity level up, especially when you manage a deep sleep. Not the easiest thing to do; but you really don't want your throat and nasal passages to get super dry overnight.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM

120 posts, read 685,435 times
@idlewile and @ 10scoachrick Thanks! So a humidifier then? Will also try anti-congestion medicine.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM

7,876 posts, read 12,889,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
@idlewile and @ 10scoachrick Thanks! So a humidifier then? Will also try anti-congestion medicine.
On our driest days, a humidifier would be helpful. Need to follow their instructions on cleaning, etc to make sure little gremlins aren't growing in the warm, moist environs. A forced air furnace also dries the air considerably, so our coldest days when the furnace is running could be tough.

Another thing I've found for me, YMMV and all that, is avoiding brushing your teeth just before bed. Even all natural toothpastes will dry the heck out of your throat/sinuses. Brush your teeth a couple of hours earlier so things can re-group or just use a natural mouthwash to brush your teeth. I have found Tom's and similar toothpastes to be somewhat less drying but they still strip your throat and allow it to dry out.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM

3,456 posts, read 5,091,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
On our driest days, a humidifier would be helpful. Need to follow their instructions on cleaning, etc to make sure little gremlins aren't growing in the warm, moist environs. A forced air furnace also dries the air considerably, so our coldest days when the furnace is running could be tough.

Another thing I've found for me, YMMV and all that, is avoiding brushing your teeth just before bed. Even all natural toothpastes will dry the heck out of your throat/sinuses. Brush your teeth a couple of hours earlier so things can re-group or just use a natural mouthwash to brush your teeth. I have found Tom's and similar toothpastes to be somewhat less drying but they still strip your throat and allow it to dry out.
There is something to the no brushing right before bed and I felt the difference last night. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

2,170 posts, read 5,486,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
I haven't been able to function normally for the past one month. I tried Allegra- It doesn't work for me. Zyrtec does but I am sleepy all day. In either case (with or without medication), I barely sleep a couple of hours each night.

This is my second year with allergies and I would appreciate tips from seasoned Austin allergy sufferers. What do you all do to battle the insomnia?
I'd rather be sleepy than have cedar allergies. I used to be knocked down for three weeks every Jan/Feb. Started taking Zyrtec in December as recommend by allergists and haven't stopped. I'll stop taking it in mid March. I am tired, falling asleep right now but I am symptom free!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,320,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I take a sleep aid as needed. Most of the time I require anti-congestion medication at night and a nasal strip because of my allergies so I get the nighttime version as regular decongestants keep you up (speed). There's always Ambian but I haven't needed it yet.
Yes, many decongestants can make a person hyper, making sleep difficult. Avoid taking them soon before bedtime. You can use a saline (salt water) rinse, such as used with a neti-pot as a decongenstant before bedtime. It will give you a runny nose for a few minutes while it shrinks the sinus membranes by drawing the moisture out of them. That will relieve your congestion aid your breathing.

Most antihistamines will make you drowsey. In fact most sleeping medications are antihistamines. Antihistamines are used to dry up your nasal drainage, runny nose. Taking one at bed time will help most people sleep. I have been using Walgreens Wal-Dryl antihistamine lately, it contains Diphenhybramine HCI which is also sold as a sleep medication.

Walgreens sells an inexpensive neti-pot. Here are the instructions for making your own saline solution for use in it.

Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education

Hypertonic Saline Nasal Irrigation Recipe

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,320,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

If you are allergic to mold, a humidifier can make things worse as it creates a better environment for mold in your house. My allergy doctor recommended I remove the portable humidifier from my house. If your nasal passages are overly dry, use a neti-pot with the 1% solution described in the link included with the post above to rinse and moisten the nasal passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin