Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,056 times

Advertisements

I live in College Station and have been looking to moving to Austin in the near future. I've only been a few times and am trying to get a sense of what are the good/bad areas there. I've done a few searches and read back about 40 pages and have concluded from people that South East Austin is not a safe part of town. Also that South West Austin has better neighbohoods. I'm personally interested in a condo/townhouse/loft and have easy access to downtown and obviously something that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 37,630 times
Hello AC29. I grew up in B-CS. I thought I'd move further away but after being in Austin two weeks, I knew I was home. That was 9 yrs ago. I love living here. I started in East Austin off Riverside Drive. East Austin was scary at times. I road the bus to work downtown every day and was accosted and physically harassed several times. Then I moved to South Austin off Slaughter Lane near Manchaca Rd. I love it in South Austin (south of Ben White Blvd) aka Bubbaville. West Austin is "nicer" in the sense of being the million dollar area of town. North and South Austin are more affordable but also have areas that are really expensive. It's way more expensive here overall than B-CS.

It sounds like close to Downtown is where you woud like to live. Get ready to pay a lot. There are a ton of loft style apartments and condos being built downtown. I'm sure it will be more expensive to rent downtown compared to else where in Austin but if you want to be downtown maybe renting is a better option than buying. But I have to mention that my husband and I bought in 2000 because it was more affordable to buy a stand alone house with a 2 car garage and yard than move up to a 2 bedroom apt in our complex. And that was in 2000 & in East Austin so I have no idea how bad it could be today.

As far as access, all areas have everything you need. I think Austin has at least ten of every chain store. Sometimes I'm surprised at how many of the same stores one town can have. But there's not an area that isn't close to everything you need. Except of course way, way out in the burbs, but even they are getting everything.

If you have any specific questions/concerns let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Last edited by wisemommaerts; 10-21-2007 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,964,707 times
I'm going to go with Wisemom on this. I also live near Slaughter/Manchaca Road. It is a great neighborhood deep in South Austin. I'm the rookie on my street in that I have lived here 2 years - all of my other neighbors have lived here for over 15 years. Its very stable and everyone works very hard to keep their homes in shape.

I love it here. I am 15 minutes from downtown, the HEB has everything, and we have really good restaurants and services with Southpark Meadows and the development at Brodie/Slaughter across from Shady Hollow.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 17,784 times
I am doing a project on Austin and i was wondering what is the best web site there is for Austin?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 17,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisemommaerts View Post
Hello AC29. I grew up in B-CS. I thought I'd move further away but after being in Austin two weeks, I knew I was home. That was 9 yrs ago. I love living here. I started in East Austin off Riverside Drive. East Austin was scary at times. I road the bus to work downtown every day and was accosted and physically harassed several times. Then I moved to South Austin off Slaughter Lane near Manchaca Rd. I love it in South Austin (south of Ben White Blvd) aka Bubbaville. West Austin is "nicer" in the sense of being the million dollar area of town. North and South Austin are more affordable but also have areas that are really expensive. It's way more expensive here overall than B-CS.

It sounds like close to Downtown is where you woud like to live. Get ready to pay a lot. There are a ton of loft style apartments and condos being built downtown. I'm sure it will be more expensive to rent downtown compared to else where in Austin but if you want to be downtown maybe renting is a better option than buying. But I have to mention that my husband and I bought in 2000 because it was more affordable to buy a stand alone house with a 2 car garage and yard than move up to a 2 bedroom apt in our complex. And that was in 2000 & in East Austin so I have no idea how bad it could be today.

As far as access, all areas have everything you need. I think Austin has at least ten of every chain store. Sometimes I'm surprised at how many of the same stores one town can have. But there's not an area that isn't close to everything you need. Except of course way, way out in the burbs, but even they are getting everything.

If you have any specific questions/concerns let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

i see u live here and know alot about it so i am wondering wisemom do u know any good web sites that give good info for Austin??

Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM

44 posts, read 188,926 times
I'd go NW Austin personally. I think it's an easy shot to downtown. 15 minutes to a half hour depending on traffic. Check out the Arboretum and the Domain. Long term, the "second downtown" is coming this way, short term there are a ton of amenities, restaurants, bars and retail, and it has better access to the freeways than South Austin, IMHO. I lived directly between Mopac and 183. Lots of condos in the area and closer to both Lake Travis and Lake Austin.. Thats my two cents worth.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,418,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCTX View Post
I'd go NW Austin personally. I think it's an easy shot to downtown. 15 minutes to a half hour depending on traffic. Check out the Arboretum and the Domain. Long term, the "second downtown" is coming this way, short term there are a ton of amenities, restaurants, bars and retail, and it has better access to the freeways than South Austin, IMHO. I lived directly between Mopac and 183. Lots of condos in the area and closer to both Lake Travis and Lake Austin.. Thats my two cents worth.
Actually, it's 45 minutes to the city in rush hour not 15 minutes. I live NW and I'm tired of it, ready to go SW

Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 AM

44 posts, read 188,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Actually, it's 45 minutes to the city in rush hour not 15 minutes. I live NW and I'm tired of it, ready to go SW
It's was only 45 minutes for me, if I stayed on Mopac all the way to the CC-5th Street exit. Try coming into town the back way by getting off at Windosor and taking that to West Lynn to W. 10th. It's not a lemming migration like Mopac, meaning you have to stay engaged in your drive, but I usually hit Congress and 6th in 25 to 35 minutes, from Mopac and Duval. Of course, once in a while... you know... bad mojo... I have a 2.4 mile drive now to lovely Riata Trace... Much better by any standard!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,176,151 times
Quote:
How far out do you live in the NW?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM

27 posts, read 107,570 times
Quote:
SW isn't any better.. at least NW Leander and Cedar Park have a freeway..SW Dripping Springs is a mess. the freeway just feeds into a bunch of lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin