Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

How long does it take to commute from Salado to Austin State Hospital (near the University of Texas) in rush hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve From Salado View Post
How long does it take to commute from Salado to Austin State Hospital (near the University of Texas) in rush hour?
You'll want to check yourself in upon arrival.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
An hour?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Probably a little over an hour, depending on which way you go. It's 45 minutes from the ranch (east of Jarrell, 15 miles north of Georgetown, five minutes from Salado) to the Burnet/Rutland area at rush hour.

If I were doing that commute, I'd hop on SH130 at the north end just before Georgetown and go that way. Less traffic, and quicker, I'd think, or at least saner!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
My first thought was the very same as Kohmet - you'll be wanting to admit yourself after a few of those drives. I get on I-35 at 620 and get off at Braker during rush hour, and that short stretch can sometimes (like Wednesday morning) take almost an hour itself (and there was no wreck/stalled car to be seen)...I can't imagine traveling any farther down I-35 or starting my journey as far out as Salado. And then you have the afternoon to deal with. That would make me crazy in no time...and I'm a licensed clinician myself! Even if you took 130 down, you'd still have to come into town on 290 which I imagine would be a nightmare itself.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I wouldn't take 290 over. I'd take 130 to 45 to Mopac and Mopac down to 45. Or maybe 130 to 45 to Mopac and then scoot over to Burnet or Lamar on Anderson or Allandale and down depending on traffic. But, then, I remember when those were the major roads and Anderson/Lamar were way out in the country, so I still use them when everybody else is on Mopac or I35!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
What's with all of the supercommute threads lately? Gas prices aren't high enough? You love to have permanent car payments? Your time has no value? Not enough world-wide environmental destruction yet?

I wouldn't do that commute if you gave me a free palace in Salado.

And don't take other people's advice as gospel for your particular situation, e.g. location to and from, time of day, and necessary errands make for too many variables.

If the situation is for longer than a few months it is worth it to drive it one time as a trial run. If it is too much to consider for only a trial run then it is probably too long a commute!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
People actually commute from that far away...you'd be surprised at how many. I worked with a number of people who did. Since I've been in the Austin area, I have only worked on my side of town and not gone into Austin for work. I've worked with people who would commute from Bastrop and South Austin for work in Round Rock and worked with some who would commute in from Salado, Jarrell and Georgetown. My daughter's school counselor last year commuted from Kyle to work in the Hutto ISD. I work with someone now who comes from Thorndale.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 AM

198 posts, read 397,583 times
The poster didn't say much about why or how long he planned to commute from Salado. He may be driving to the hospital evey day to see a friend or loved one. In that case, I would care less if it took me an hour. Or maybe he is commuting for work and this job could be the difference between losing his house or paying the bills. I think people can get caught up in an Austin bubble. Not everything can rotate around a 5 mile radius of downtown. There are many people out there who commute hours each day not because they want to but because they need the job.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
People actually commute from that far away...you'd be surprised at how many. I worked with a number of people who did. Since I've been in the Austin area, I have only worked on my side of town and not gone into Austin for work. I've worked with people who would commute from Bastrop and South Austin for work in Round Rock and worked with some who would commute in from Salado, Jarrell and Georgetown. My daughter's school counselor last year commuted from Kyle to work in the Hutto ISD. I work with someone now who comes from Thorndale.
My dad commuted from near Jarrell to Austin for about 10 years before retirement. He wanted to farm and ranch afterwards, and spent that time getting it established and operating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin