Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinator View Post
So a couple of months ago I was at the mall and couldn't resists the sight of a brand new Audi, so I filled out some paper... I just got a call today, that, yaay, I've won, congratulations to me, all I have to do is show up at this address with a photo ID to pick up my prize. It's some resort at a lake South of Austin... and I will be offered a 90 minute tour of the resort and listen to some presentation... Sounds like a "time share" presentation, something I've heard of before, but never been to one myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's over one hour drive from my place, I wouldn't bother for a $10 Starbucks card, but I think the sexy voice on the phone said the smallest prize was $500... Damn, for $500 I'd even listen to a Chihuahua bark for 90 minutes...

What say you? Should I stay or should I go? Is this thing legit or what?
So all that you really won is "another chance" to win a prize valued at $500+. I'll bet everyone who entered won the same chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Reminded me of the call I got today from Austin Homes I think it was. Some guy says, "so, I see you've been searching for homes on the internet."

I said, "hey, this is kind of a creeper call, how do you know I'm looking for homes?" Which I wasn't. He says, "when you fill out all that information on the page." I replied, "I don't fill in all the information on the pages."

Then he said someone must have used our phone number, which is kinda odd since it's private, but hey, it's the world of technology.

Anyway, back on topic, we had something similar as the OP and thought "we won"!! It was a big let down It's a ploy and I was a sucker. Lesson learned.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Just don't do it....you WILL win something (the smallest prize) and there MAY be some strings attached, but the day lost you will never get back. OFc, if you are actually interested in a TS, then that is a whole 'nuther story.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
It's a time share presentation. I've done them all over the world. You never win get anything too good although I did get a discounted cruise, I had to pay the tax. It's high pressure and it's really uncomfortable. Just don't buy anything. In fact freeze your credit before you go, so no temptation.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 PM

90 posts, read 178,017 times
omg, you can't seriously believe this line of crap. Total scam. Don't waste your time. Nobody wins except the people running the scam who manage to separate gullible people from their money.
-izzy

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM

51 posts, read 95,750 times
Yes, it sounds exactly like the Canyon Lake Time Share.

The prize you will most likely get after sitting through the presentation is a "reduced rate" on a three-night cruise, which they the value of which is something like $500; They give you an inside cabin at $500 less than if you paid full price.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM

112 posts, read 280,009 times
So I got a call from a rep today to "confirm my visit" for tomorrow. I was going to call and cancel (to be nice, as opposed to simply not showing up), but hadn't gotten to it yet. So I tell the guy my plans have changed and I wasn't going to make it. And I swear he repeated his spiel like 3 or 4 times, gave me a guilt trip, how they alread paid my personal consultant to show me around the resort and how I'm guarranteed to win one of the prizes. Very uncomfortable! I wanted to yell on the phone, like "are you serious"??? You think that by making me feel so uncomfortable, you're going to change my mind? He also asked me why I can't make it anymore. WTF? It's none of your damn business... Like I said, very uncomfortable.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinator View Post
So I got a call from a rep today to "confirm my visit" for tomorrow. I was going to call and cancel (to be nice, as opposed to simply not showing up), but hadn't gotten to it yet. So I tell the guy my plans have changed and I wasn't going to make it. And I swear he repeated his spiel like 3 or 4 times, gave me a guilt trip, how they alread paid my personal consultant to show me around the resort and how I'm guarranteed to win one of the prizes. Very uncomfortable! I wanted to yell on the phone, like "are you serious"??? You think that by making me feel so uncomfortable, you're going to change my mind? He also asked me why I can't make it anymore. WTF? It's none of your damn business... Like I said, very uncomfortable.
Good for you! Ain't nothing for free.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I have a blast doing the timeshare presentations...have gotten a few hundred dollars in AmEx gift cards, gas cards, etc out of them. Canyon Lake is high pressure but I look at it as a chance to have some fun with them! ;-) I mean, really - do you think a professional couple with no kids (and no intentions of having any) REALLY gets excited to see a pool and playgrounds covered with hundreds of screaming kids??? They thought they had us by pointing that out!!!

The last time, they said it would be a 90-minute presentation...after the first 15 minutes of listening to the guy bemoan his marriage, I knew it would be probably at least double the length of time they said. So, I set the very loud timer on my phone for 75 additional minutes and when it went off, I climbed over the throngs of other people listening to him droning, walked out (with my husband following shortly) and told the people in the other room that they asked me for 90 minutes, I gave them 90 minutes, and I wanted my gift cards because I had no intentions of staying there all afternoon. I walked out with about $200 in AmEx gift cards and some gas cards for my drive! (The funny thing was, two other couples followed suit and were demanding their prizes since they had given the required 90 minutes!) My husband and I had a nice laugh all the way back to Austin!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I have a blast doing the timeshare presentations...have gotten a few hundred dollars in AmEx gift cards, gas cards, etc out of them. Canyon Lake is high pressure but I look at it as a chance to have some fun with them! ;-) I mean, really - do you think a professional couple with no kids (and no intentions of having any) REALLY gets excited to see a pool and playgrounds covered with hundreds of screaming kids??? They thought they had us by pointing that out!!!

The last time, they said it would be a 90-minute presentation...after the first 15 minutes of listening to the guy bemoan his marriage, I knew it would be probably at least double the length of time they said. So, I set the very loud timer on my phone for 75 additional minutes and when it went off, I climbed over the throngs of other people listening to him droning, walked out (with my husband following shortly) and told the people in the other room that they asked me for 90 minutes, I gave them 90 minutes, and I wanted my gift cards because I had no intentions of staying there all afternoon. I walked out with about $200 in AmEx gift cards and some gas cards for my drive! (The funny thing was, two other couples followed suit and were demanding their prizes since they had given the required 90 minutes!) My husband and I had a nice laugh all the way back to Austin!
I need to pass along the 'Dinner Invitations' we get regularly from 'financial advisors' and 'retirement planners'. Someone could eat a darned good meal every couple of weeks just on those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin