Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM

112 posts, read 280,005 times

Advertisements

So a couple of months ago I was at the mall and couldn't resists the sight of a brand new Audi, so I filled out some paper... I just got a call today, that, yaay, I've won, congratulations to me, all I have to do is show up at this address with a photo ID to pick up my prize. It's some resort at a lake South of Austin... and I will be offered a 90 minute tour of the resort and listen to some presentation... Sounds like a "time share" presentation, something I've heard of before, but never been to one myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's over one hour drive from my place, I wouldn't bother for a $10 Starbucks card, but I think the sexy voice on the phone said the smallest prize was $500... Damn, for $500 I'd even listen to a Chihuahua bark for 90 minutes...

What say you? Should I stay or should I go? Is this thing legit or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinator View Post
So a couple of months ago I was at the mall and couldn't resists the sight of a brand new Audi, so I filled out some paper... I just got a call today, that, yaay, I've won, congratulations to me, all I have to do is show up at this address with a photo ID to pick up my prize. It's some resort at a lake South of Austin... and I will be offered a 90 minute tour of the resort and listen to some presentation... Sounds like a "time share" presentation, something I've heard of before, but never been to one myself.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's over one hour drive from my place, I wouldn't bother for a $10 Starbucks card, but I think the sexy voice on the phone said the smallest prize was $500... Damn, for $500 I'd even listen to a Chihuahua bark for 90 minutes...

What say you? Should I stay or should I go? Is this thing legit or what?
Yes...this definitely will not be a complete waste of your time.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,977,735 times
Yeah
Go. Take a friend/ spouse etc... Make a nice day trip out of it...then come back and tell us what you REALLY won.
Hope it IS the car.
Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
My sis and her husband went to one of those presentations and just took the weekend getaway prize, but did not buy the timeshare.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

112 posts, read 280,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Yeah
Go. Take a friend/ spouse etc... Make a nice day trip out of it...then come back and tell us what you REALLY won.
Hope it IS the car.
Good luck.
The small print says I will be given some tickets that I need to scratch and if I got 5 golden dots, it is one of the cars... which include a Mercedes something, a BMW X5, a Porsche Cayenne and something else, can't remember because I couldn't focus anymore after the X5...

Otherwise, it's one of the other prizes, which are not too shabby either...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,389 times
It is the Canyon Lake timeshare BS. You will be there the whole day. They will pressure you and try to play mind games with you to get you to buy into the timeshare. They prey on the military people from Fort Hood, but I guess they mix in other markets as well. If you can withstand the pressure and annoyance of their sales tactic for an entire day, then go for it. But I guarantee you that you won't win any type of car.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Sorry. It's a come on. You haven't won anything.

If you subject yourself to the high-pressure sales tactics, you will probably be given a certificate for a vacation package, which will probably require you to spend some additional money to use. And if you do use it, you'll get another pitch. and then follow-up pitches.

This is a common pattern used in the timeshare industry.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Enjoy the hard sell, and the low grade steak knives, the loss of a tank of gas and a day of your life, and an hour or two of absolute awkwardness.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Reminds me of a phone call I received years ago. The message went like this:

"CoachRick...We're happy to tell you your name was drawn in our contest and you have won a brand new Jeep...
>
>
>
>
>
mountain bike !!!

They had me for a second. The bike was a pretty cheap 're-label' of a big box quality bike; but I sold it for about half the retail value to a dad/kid who REALLY wanted it(nearly matched their actual Jeep). Better than a poke in the eye, I reckon. Better than a timeshare sales pitch for sure!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM

298 posts, read 944,981 times
If the place is in Canyon Lake, a complete waste of time. While touring the resort, I was observing the people staying there and thinking there is no way all of these people had tens of thousands of dollars to put into this timeshare. I wouldn't even stay at that resort for free. Then when we left with our prize, weeks later find in the small print we have to contribute almost $400 to the 3 day Vegas trip...complete BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin