Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,734 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and am looking to move in late spring to either Austin, or California Bay Area, or somewhere else someone else can suggest....

I'm a graphic designer, so I am aware that both these places are pretty competitive. I want to try and keep my costs down. Milwaukee is a pretty cheap city, but it's too cold so I want out. Most of my family is from the East Coast and I pretty much hate it there, people are rude and ordinary. I've been to Austin several times, I'm just concerned that everyone is flocking there. My father lives in LA and I'm not too fond of Southern California.

Any input/suggestions/advice on the differences between these two areas, or another awesome place, considering...

-Costs
-Weather
-Job Market
-Ratio between Men and Women
-Overall attitude of citizens
-Public Transportation

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
-Costs: Austin
-Weather: Bay Area
-Job Market: Austin
-Ratio: Equally bad
-Overall attitude: Austin
-Public Transportation: Bay Area

Any more questions?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
go where ever you can find a job!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
The Bay Area will be more expensive than Austin. Real estate is the biggest difference, which also means rentals. But if you got an equivalent job in either place, you would get paid more in CA. That does at least partially make up for increased housing costs. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the weather. I lived in Marin County, and I think it was wonderful. My husband, the Texan, felt it was cooler that he would have liked. It is also wonderful to live within a half hour of SF Bay, the thundering cliffs and headlands and beaches on the ocean side. The natural beauty there is breath taking. Same with a lot of places around the Bay. Lots of young people really love SF, too. That said, I have found people in Austin to be more friendly and approachable than people in either northern or southern CA. The pace is slower here, too. And although the summers are hot, I really don't mind the weather here all that much. My suggestion is to narrow down your choices as much as you can, then go visit. But don't move anywhere without a job. The economy in all parts of the country is such that you can't take jobs for granted.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM

113 posts, read 208,531 times
-Costs: Austin (by a lot? San Fran living is not cheap. I'd venture 2nd only after NY?)
-Weather: San Francisco (although note, this is not inland california weather.. summers have oddly cold weather)
-Job Market: specific to your skills
-Ratio between Men and Women: I think both are like 51 vs. 49
-Overall attitude of citizens: Austin
-Public Transportation: San Francisco (easier to get a taxi and you have BART)

Some other categories I would toss in
-Friendliness of women: Austin
-Food: Bay Area (my favorite foodie city)
-Nearby Activites: Bay Area (Napa, Muir Woods, etc.)

Interesting comparison! You should be able to find some technie San Francisco folks who commute to Austin, and really compare it for you. I know the San Jose flight to austin is referred to as the "nerd bird". Even someone from San Jose may be able to help out.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
FYI: American Airlines killed the nerd bird! Alaska tried to pick up the slack but it was pitiful.

My spouse has a San Jose based job but we live in Austin, all the nerds have had to switch to United and fly in and out of SF!

SF has a lot of advantages but it is a more expensive place. Find a job first! That will be the biggest challenge.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
FYI: American Airlines killed the nerd bird! Alaska tried to pick up the slack but it was pitiful.

My spouse has a San Jose based job but we live in Austin, all the nerds have had to switch to United and fly in and out of SF!

SF has a lot of advantages but it is a more expensive place. Find a job first! That will be the biggest challenge.
what about jetblue to sfo?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 AM

84 posts, read 225,430 times
We moved from the Bay Area to Austin.

-Costs: Austin
-Weather: Bay Area
-Job Market: Bay Area hands down - such a large metro area has so many more opportunities
-Ratio: Seems about the same
-Overall attitude: Austin
-Public Transportation: Bay Area

I would also say the Bay Area wins for Food and things to do nearby.

Austin is a great alternative to the Bay Area. You just need to temper expectations and spend more money on vacations.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Sounds like a wash. Where is the better job offer?
I think you would do okay in either. Coming from up there, you'll find Austin extremely hot in the summer. Outside of politics, I too prefer northern Cal over southern.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post

Southwest has two NS flights (early AM, late PM - both ways) to San Jose every weekday. I take this one about every other month, and it is PACKED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: