U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 PM

19 posts, read 99,130 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

I thank everyone in this forum for helping me make my decsion to move from NJ/NY to Austin- my wife, my 2.5 year old and I have safely arrived in Austin - furniture and car have also come - we are currently renting in Cedar Park, TX (Red Oaks) and are looking to buy...need help/advice/suggestions (I am sure you will not let me down) on good neighborhoods...criteria:
1. Price - $300-350K
2. House can be new or under 7 years old (do not want to buy a real old house)
3. Location - can be anywhere (I work from home and can start an office close to where I buy the house) - IMPORTANT - Need a good neighborhood - warm, friendly neighbors - especially kid friendly - we have a 2.5 year old and absolutely no family in TX - so neighbors/kid friendly important
4. Would like to buy a house in an area which will appreciate
5. School District - good to exemplary

Areas we have heard of on the forum..Lakeway, Circle C, Cedar Park, Round Rock...

Please HELPP...all suggestions/advice are more than welcome..

Thanks a ton...GREAT forum...

Regards,

Max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 PM

118 posts, read 159,124 times
If you like to golf Teravista is awesome, heck even if you don't golf (like me) I would still want to live on one of the new homes on the golf course. Very Nice community pool, rec areas, residents club...Mind you we live like 2000 miles away and fell in love with the area when we were there a few weeks ago. Apparently the RRISD is a really good school district as well. They are building a new school right in Teravista as well

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM
CLQ

207 posts, read 782,749 times
I highly recommend Steiner Ranch especially since you have a 2 1/2 year old. Check out Steiner Ranch - An Austin master planned community of lakefront homes and golf course communities. It has a lot of community activities for young children and adults, three soon to be four schools in the neighborhood, a private lake club, golf course, spa and three community centers. We considered Twin Creeks and Circle C and knew right away Steiner Ranch was the best choice. If you check out the Welcome Center they will tell you all about it. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 AM

8,761 posts, read 18,171,106 times
Shoot, for 300-350 and working from home, you have LOTS of options that fit your requirements. SW Austin out throught Dripping Springs and Lake Travis. Leander down through Cedar Park. RR/Pflugerville area. It all depends on what you want. Steiner has some great views and is a nice area. Dripping is a little more rural looking but is nice if you want a larger lot. Legend Oaks has some houses in the <10 y/o range that are in that price range (or below).

Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,949,410 times
I second the opinion on TeraVista - but also agree with Trainwreck that you have a lot of options. Are you trying to stay as close as possible to Austin city limits? Or does that matter? Need to be close to a lake? Need massive treees? Want to be close to toll roads? Give some other criteria for narrowing down the search...

Teravista has a lot of social activities - they have hired an "on-staff" social cordinator, lots of pools, really it seems like a top notch community... and is easily accessible to Georgetown and Round Rock, and the toll roads. The ONLY drawback is that there is going to be a lot of building up and construction there in the next few years, which may lead to traffic congestion and some growing problems as they get it worked out. I would also research the school options... you will be in RR ISD, which is great - but I know they have a new school going up for Teravista, and I don't know when the scheduled completion is. So, I know last school year they were moving kids around, and one of the options they were considering had kids bussing over 35 for a year.. Obviously though, I just reread your original post, and with a 2.5 yr old, that won't impact you right now - and I am sure the new school will be in place by the time your little one is in Kinder.

More that I research Steiner, I realize it's not for me - so I couldn't personally recommend that (I am also not sure that $300-350 in Steiner would give you what that amount would give you elsewhere... but there are a lot of really great neighborhoods in Round Rock that would be good to consider. Forest Creek (east), Lake Forest (east), Avery Ranch, Brushy Creek - and several others on the west side, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

I wouldn't *personally* buy in Pflugerville - but that's my own thing, and there are a couple of nice neighborhoods that work for people and have good schools, nice area, easy commute etc ... Falcon Pointe, Blackhawk...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,888,229 times
Hi. We just bought a house in Meridian. Right near Circle C, there will be an elementary school in the subdivision in the next two years. It's a great community, brand new and a fabulous investment. We have a 15 month old and there are tons of kids moving in. If you need to know anything else, let me know. We didn't consider Steiner or Round Rock/Cedar Park, too far from the city. Meridian is about a 10 minute drive to downtown, fabulous school system and so much more scenic than Round Rock/Cedar Park. Steiner is far out, long drive on 2222 which isn't the best road for traffic or safety. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 3,001,571 times
Welcome, maximus07 and family Smart move...you have the luxury of looking around at the different neighborhoods, visiting the schools,etc.

Faubian Elementary, down the street from you, and Deer Creek Elementary, further down on Anderson Mill, are both exemplary schools. Cedar Park HS & MS are also right there on Cypress Creek so if you like the area, Twin Creeks, Bella Vista (and the neighborhood next to it that I can't think of right now ) and Deer Creek are popular neighborhoods. Enjoy the hunt!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM

19 posts, read 99,130 times
Thank you all for contributing - my main criteria is a good friendly neighborhood, kid friendly...we have 1 son (2.5 years) - would like him to make friends and do fun things with other kids - we have no friends or family in this area and hence a good, friendly neighborhood is of paramount importance....I will definitely ask my realtor to come up with some listings in Teravista, Meridian and Steiner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin