U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM

10 posts, read 14,227 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get around for SXSW Music (it's my first time). I'll be coming in after work each day from the Round Rock area.

Would using the Triangle Park & Ride be a good option? If I understand the detour information correctly, it looks like I could take a bus from there and get dropped off at Guadalupe & 4th. Then after the shows, leave from Lavaca & 4th, or the 481 Night Owl at 6th & Congress depending on the time.

Anyone have better options or suggestions? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM

4,052 posts, read 6,348,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get around for SXSW Music (it's my first time). I'll be coming in after work each day from the Round Rock area.

Would using the Triangle Park & Ride be a good option? If I understand the detour information correctly, it looks like I could take a bus from there and get dropped off at Guadalupe & 4th. Then after the shows, leave from Lavaca & 4th, or the 481 Night Owl at 6th & Congress depending on the time.

Anyone have better options or suggestions? Thanks!
I drove all the way in to the saltillo station, parked there and took the train one station to downtown. That was by far the fastest way. One benefit is that if you stay out too late you can walk or take a cab back to your car.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM

186 posts, read 145,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I drove all the way in to the saltillo station, parked there and took the train one station to downtown. That was by far the fastest way. One benefit is that if you stay out too late you can walk or take a cab back to your car.
Good advice, we did this one Friday night during last year's SXSW. Only problem was that by the time the train made it to the Plaza Saltillo station, it was jammed pack and we had to wait on the next one. Many people just opted to walk to downtown at that point. Plus parking in that area can be difficult since it's near a ton of bars in general.

The next day we parked at the MLK station. There isn't much parking around but we lucked out and found a spot. We plan on doing the same this year.

I need to check the schedule as last year the last train out of downtown was around 12am- 12:30am ish and was jammed pack as well. In that case, it was nice to be able to walk back to Plaza Saltillo on Friday night. But on the Saturday we had to get a cab back to our car at the MLK station.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
Plus parking in that area can be difficult since it's near a ton of bars in general.

The next day we parked at the MLK station. There isn't much parking around but we lucked out and found a spot. We plan on doing the same this year.
That would probably be a lot quicker. But I don't really want to spend a bunch of time looking for a parking space and hoping to get lucky. That's what I'm looking to avoid by using a park & ride a little further out. I've never used it though, so I'm not sure what they charge for parking. I was just in Houston for the rodeo and they charged $20 for a rail pass and to park at the station. If that's the case for the Triangle P&R, I'll need another option.

I don't really understand why they aren't running the train later hours for the whole week, rather than just on the weekend.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM

511 posts, read 264,200 times
Quote:
I don't really understand why they aren't running the train later hours for the whole week, rather than just on the weekend.
Cost, mostly. The extra service is paid for in large part by subsidy from the city.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM

442 posts, read 304,259 times
Quote:
That would probably be a lot quicker. But I don't really want to spend a bunch of time looking for a parking space and hoping to get lucky. That's what I'm looking to avoid by using a park & ride a little further out. I've never used it though, so I'm not sure what they charge for parking. I was just in Houston for the rodeo and they charged $20 for a rail pass and to park at the station. If that's the case for the Triangle P&R, I'll need another option.

There is no charge for the Triangle park and ride, but spaces are limited. The larger park and ride for the 1/101 route is the North Lamar one, but that's not as... nice. The only cost is the cost of the bus.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,600,171 times
For easy access from Round Rock, why not use the Howard Station?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I would, but then I'd have to pay for a cab back if I'm out later than midnight, right?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 AM

12,800 posts, read 10,845,416 times
Quote:
As I understand it, they don't have the right-of-way to use the track at night on weekdays, due to the freight trains using it. It's a dual use of an existing track, which was a huge time and money saver to get the project rolling, but which came with restrictions.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 AM

2,786 posts, read 5,710,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I thought the Howard station didn't have any parking. Lakleline would be fairly easy to get to from RR though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As I understand it, they don't have the right-of-way to use the track at night on weekdays, due to the freight trains using it. It's a dual use of an existing track, which was a huge time and money saver to get the project rolling, but which came with restrictions.
Thanks for that explanation. I wondered why the commuter trains didn't run at night and then I realized that I hear a lot of freight trains in the middle of the night. Makes sense!

On another note, I was coming home via Braker Lane yesterday and stopped at the crossing for a southbound train and it looked to be full! Looks like a lot of people are taking advantage for SXSW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin