Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,042 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Austin within the next several months, but we are having trouble finding rentals that will accept all of out pets. He has 3 dogs and I have 2. Do such rentals even exist? Will we need to live separately until we are ready to buy a house? Obviously this is not ideal, but we are having trouble (understandably) finding rentals that will accept so many dogs.
Hoping to find some insight here. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
It is highly unlikely that you would find a rental home anywhere in the country that would accept FIVE dogs. Austin rental market is saturated, landlords have their pick of tenants (occupancy is around 98%) so no one will have any reason to make an exception to their pet policy for you.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Not that you would necessarily be looking in a HOA controlled property; but, most won't allow that many animals in one house. You could possibly contact some area animal shelters and ask around. Perhaps those who foster dogs regularly would know of available rentals.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I cannot speak to the Austin area specifically, but I have found that, in general, you might have more luck if you are willing to live on the outskirts of a city, a semi-rural place.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I cannot speak to the Austin area specifically, but I have found that, in general, you might have more luck if you are willing to live on the outskirts of a city, a semi-rural place.
You will each need to do that, just to find a place that will accept 2 dogs or three dogs! Unless renting to a family member, no landlord on earth will put five dogs openly on a lease.

Animal rescue groups will tell you that most of their fosters own their own homes. People who do foster dogs in rentals usually have no other pets and most rescues require landlord permission before allowing someone to foster.

I would never advocating giving up a dog but do you have family members who could take in some of these dogs temporarily? At least for 6 months or so? You need to work as hard as you can, as fast as you can, to get a house of your own (ideally not in an HOA who could have other restrictions).

You are in a tough spot!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM

318 posts, read 669,981 times
We were able to negotiate with the landlord a price for all of my pets. We had 2 dogs and 2 cats. One of the dogs was over 100 lbs, and he's the one we ended up paying the higher price for. I believe we had to double our pet deposit and it was non-refundable. If I remember correctly, it was about $2500.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
I would look in places like creedmoor, elroy and mustang ridge - they're likely to be less opposed to leasing to a wolf-pack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: