Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

I think the answer is probably simple - she cannot use your property, but you cannot block the ROW.

Instead of filing a complaint about your cactus garden, she has chosen to cut across your yard. If you insist on preventing her from cutting across your yard, she will be 'forced' to complain about the garden. Pick your poison....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
That may be a typical plat in suburb - but not here in Austin.

I'm looking at my survey right now. No, I am not going to post it here. I own all the property to the curb. The city has a easement on my property for the first 10 feet. The city easement allows it to put a side walk, bury utilities and maintain them. But the property is mine, I pay taxes on it. I maintain it.

While I'm not looking at surveys for my previous homes, I'm nearly 100% certain that is the case on each of the previous lots.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
That may be a typical plat in suburb - but not here in Austin.

I'm looking at my survey right now. No, I am not going to post it here. I own all the property to the curb. The city has a easement on my property for the first 10 feet. The city easement allows it to put a side walk, bury utilities and maintain them. But the property is mine, I pay taxes on it. I maintain it.

While I'm not looking at surveys for my previous homes, I'm nearly 100% certain that is the case on each of the previous lots.
These suburbs are in Austin so what do you mean not here in Austin?

Older properties that existed before there were subdivision regulations may differ but if the City has an easement to put a sidewalk there, then the public is also allowed to walk there. It amounts to the same thing.

What I posted is the typical plat for subdivision in the City of Austin for at least the last 50 years. Yes if you live in a really old part of town that was subdivided before regulations existed, they may be different. But the majority of the property in subdivisions within the City of Austin and the USA is as shown in the illustrations.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
OK but if the City has a right to put a sidewalk there, then the public is also allowed to walk there.

What I posted is the typical plat for subdivision in the City of Austin for at least the last 50 years. Yes if you live in a really old part of town that was subdivided before regulations existed, they may be different. But the majority of the property in subdivisions within the City of Austin and the USA is as shown in the illustrations.
I'm not disagreeing that there is an easement in the first 10' - there certainly is and whether a sidewalk exists or not the public likely has a right to access that property. As a matter of fact, I suggest that OP just put up a fence around the areas she is legally aloud to so so (which would not include the ROW). Good fences make good neighbors.

As for whether this only applies to homes 50 years or older - the homes in Mueller aren't platted that way - the surveys show a property line right to the street with a 10' easement to the city.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
In order to trespass you must be on another person's property. They are not trespassing when they are in the public ROW. They are not on the property owners property.

The public right of way for streets and roads DOES NOT APPLY to his lawn. They are applicable to medians, grass areas from permanent sidewalks (which he does not have) to the road, areas entering/exiting public facilities and highways.

Public ROW does not apply to residential properties. The 10' easement is for utilities ONLY. His neighbor is in the wrong.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Your attachments do indeed show a R.O.W., but it is for utilities and CoA easement ONLY. There is NO public R.O.W.

http://austintexas.gov/department/right-way-management

Quote:
The Right of Way Management Division provides traffic planning and coordination for all activities in the right of way in order to ensure public safety and mobility. The City's right of way is typically the street surface, sidewalks and grassy areas between pavement and property lines.
There is no sidewalk, or grassy area between pavement and property line. Therefore, there is NO public R.O.W. on his lawn. There is at the street to the curb ribbon, but the moment she sets foot on his lawn, or let's her dog do so, she is TRESPASSING. The only people that have a R.O.W. is the city for utilities and improvement(s).

Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM

However, the appropriate person to contact to settle your issue appears to be:

Quote:
Parking, driveways and sidewalks: Nancy Thralls
at 512-974-1150
Right of Way Management | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The public right of way for streets and roads DOES NOT APPLY to his lawn. They are applicable to medians, grass areas from permanent sidewalks (which he does not have) to the road, areas entering/exiting public facilities and highways.

Public ROW does not apply to residential properties. The 10' easement is for utilities ONLY. His neighbor is in the wrong.
You clearly do not know what you are talking about. The public has the right to walk within the public R.O.W. whether there is a sidewalk there or not. If you don't believe me, call 311 and ask them. I am not going to waste anymore time trying to educate you.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-16-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
Quote:
You clearly do not know what you are talking about. The public has the right to walk within the public R.O.W. whether there is a sidewalk there or not. If you don't believe me, call 311 and ask them. I am not going to waste anymore time trying to educate you.
This. The fact that a sidewalk can be constructed on that strip means it is a public ROW even without a sidewalk. The sidewalk is merely an amenity to the ROW but it does not create the ROW.

As an aside, I'm in an old area of town (North University) and our property line ends at the sidewalk, not the curb.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Moderator cut: personal attacksThe public has the right to walk within the public area R.O.W., true, but THERE IS NO PUBLIC R.O.W. on HIS property. The CITY has an easement. The utilities (power, water, cable, phone, gas) have an easement. YOU and his neighbor DO NOT.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Keep it civil, attack ideas not other posters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: