U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 PM

27 posts, read 126,426 times
There may be a lack of tax incentives for green building in county areas but that's hardly an "obstacle". You can build whatever you want. It is a very unregulated environment. You can put up a yurt, go all solar, put a water collection system and be greener than anybody in one weekend.
On the other hand, your neighbor can do as he or she wishes, too, whether you like it or not. You can't have it both ways.
City of Austin has very green building standards and incentives, like solar rebates and straw bale construction codes, but the county areas are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:37 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,608,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
You could look into Hays County/ Dripping -Driftwood-Wimberley area .. just stay out of any EJT and you can build nearly anything.. we have neighbors with Haystack houses, real Adobe houses, Log homes and even one underground..
They other posters are correct though, ckeck the land carefully if you plan to farm, its pretty hilly, but nice pastures are still plentiful. Also ditto, read every line of the deed restrictions (if any)

Expect to pay 10-15K/ acre or more .. some are now getting 20K/ acre
Cheers
I have a friend that lives out in Hays -- and she thought she could garden but discovered a BIG problem... DEER!!!! So you may want to look in to that too...

Old 10-27-2007, 05:43 AM

390 posts, read 1,001,942 times
Good point. You need a game fence for sure, but not too expensive, we used 10' cedar posts cut off the land and then 10' no climb fencing..
Cheers

Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 PM

71,188 posts, read 31,484,449 times
East of I35 is mostly blackland prairie (black dirt..no rocks) while west of I35 is rocky and hilly. Farther east (starting at Rockdale you enter the Post Oak Savannah).
Here's a link to the various regions in Texas:
Land: Ecological Regions Definitions

I'm in the blackland prairie region (east of I35) and I grow organic just for personal use..onions as big as grapefruits..grapes, apples, berries, corn.....plenty of compost will break down the clay. I don't have to worry about deer..rabbits are the ones to guard against !

When you look at land ask to see a survey..floodplains are clearly marked on the survey. A portion of my land..way in the far corner is in the 100 year floodplain but does not affect me where I built the house. This is where my tank overflows when there's heavy rains and that is downhill from me so no worries about flooding.

Also, a survey will show any easements, gas lines or any other line though the property.

If you are unsure of doing it yourself then it's well worth the money to pay for a lawyer familiar with country properties to look over whatever paperwork you can get and explain it to you.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,758 times
Smile Floodplain for Bastrop TX

I see that someone was looking for the Bastrop City Floodplain. Well here it is. This document was created in 2000 for expansion out to 2020. Bastrop Comprehensive Plan (http://www.cityofbastrop.org/compplan.html - broken link)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
You could look into Hays County/ Dripping -Driftwood-Wimberley area .. just stay out of any EJT and you can build nearly anything.. we have neighbors with Haystack houses, real Adobe houses, Log homes and even one underground..
They other posters are correct though, ckeck the land carefully if you plan to farm, its pretty hilly, but nice pastures are still plentiful. Also ditto, read every line of the deed restrictions (if any)

Expect to pay 10-15K/ acre or more .. some are now getting 20K/ acre
Cheers
What is an EJT?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 AM

390 posts, read 1,001,942 times
extraterritorial jurisdiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin