Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM

45 posts, read 247,636 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Illinois and I'm looking for a decent place to learn some more martial arts stuff. At the moment I'm interested in kali, bjj, silat, but I'm open to other stuff if there's a particularly awesome place to be. I'm pretty burnt out on aikido/hapkido and wing chun though. No karate or tae kwon do please. And please don't recommend any bullshido schools.... if your school has 978965 belt colors to go through for ranking and tests every 2 weeks I don't want to hear about it.

So if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm pretty cheap though.. hoping for something under or around $50/mo.. I get the feeling it may not be as cheap down here as it was back in IL, but I'm hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,624,124 times
Try this site out: TXMMA.com - The Home of Mixed Martial Arts in Texas - Web Links (http://www.txmma.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index&l _op=viewlink&cid=1 - broken link)

I came from Atlanta and the scene was huge there. Many WEC fighters train at Hardcore Gym (Rory Singer & Forest Griffin), paulcreighton.com, and Knuckleupfitness.com (Velocity), but it's only up and coming in Austin.

For BJJ, Vandry seems to be the best place, while Relson Gracie is South and also good.
UT also has several programs if you're a student or an alum.

Krav Maga also has a good presence here.

I'm at LA Boxing and it's around your price, with a little negotiation.
LA Boxing : Boxing & Kickboxing Fitness Training G
They have boxing, BJJ, wrestling, and Muay Thai instruction and various fitness classes.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 PM

45 posts, read 247,636 times
These are excellent links - thanks. Not so much looking for MMA stuff.. at least no in-the-ring training.. maybe a lot of the surrounding arts though. Looks like a lot of places I've seen so far are around $100/mo. I get that facility costs are a lot more near a big city, but man that seems like a lot of money =(

Seems like there are a ton of Wing Chun schools down here. Any reason for that?

Is LA Boxing the only one you've been to down here? Just curious if you've found anything else good and experienced it first hand.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,624,124 times
I checked out Austin Self Defense (not so much) and Extreme Fitness Krav Maga in Pflugerville (OK).

The sweet spot is $60/month here, but you'll need to negotiate it.

LA Boxing is the best place near me, but there are a couple of other places that I wanted to check out.

I do ring work 1x/week, but I have a desk job and manage a lot of people so a black eye is not for me. I have a wrist brace a few weeks ago and it freaked people out to hear that I'm into "fight club." Although I got street cred from most of the guys that work for me knowing that I train and can defend myself.

I suggest you go to several places around town and try it out until you find your place to train in whatever style that you want to learn.

I was going to check out Vandry's since it's on the way home, but decided that I wanted to variety. I took Muay Thai and Submission Wrestling tonight and was a blast. Tues is an MMA class and Wed-Fri has a Vandry's Blackbelt that teaches BJJ and boxing with a few Austin pros.

I'm also privately taking Tai Chi from an experienced player and he is trained in Southern Praying Mantis, which there is no school in Austin. He's also anti-Master Gohring's Kung Fu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: